Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove with v0.20 and generally things worked, but it was
after a "full" charge, so I could not test the histogram
behavior on Regen.

One bug, we seem to have lost the debug text on screen 3.
Perhaps it is white text on a white background?

One "interesting" thing:
Almost all the "Shunts" were on, just a few bars were green.
Presumably this is either a normal behavior after a full charge,
and we still need to get the correct mapping between the
shunt bits and the cells, or these are not Shunt-On flags...
(getting to be more likely, I am thinking).

FINALLY SUCCESS! After purchasing a third ELM327 device, I am finally connected to the app. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This device paired with Bluetooth immediately on my Kyocera Event phone, and connected immediately to the app. No problems whatsoever. If anyone else is having troubles, this is the one I bought that worked right off the bat:

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-compatible/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368046851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Free 2 day shipping if you participate with Amazon Prime. Whew!

vrwl said:
Found this... haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it might do the job. Both links are for the same product, but one has a better price and the other has better pictures plus a video about it

http://www.cellularoutfitter.com/p-125721-scorpion-mount-universal-adjustable-vehicle-suction-mount-black-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (better price)

http://www.wirelessemporium.com/p-125721-black-scorpion-mount-universal-car-holder.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (picture & video)
I found this : http://www.amazon.com/Rotating-Windshield-Cradle-Holder-iPhone/dp/B009AFPJ7K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Only $4 and free shipping. More compact but your phone width must be between 5-8cm.

vrwl said:
FINALLY SUCCESS! After purchasing a third ELM327 device, I am finally connected to the app. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This device paired with Bluetooth immediately on my Kyocera Event phone, and connected immediately to the app. No problems whatsoever. If anyone else is having troubles, this is the one I bought that worked right off the bat:

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-compatible/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368046851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Mine (third one) will be here tomorrow...good bye frustration. :lol:

rickbecker said:
vrwl said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Mine (third one) will be here tomorrow...good bye frustration. :lol:

Crossing fingers for you. :)

The one from Simvalley Mobile, $18 from Amazon works great and can be taken apart easily and modified to read the EV CAN as well as the CAR CAN.

Version 0.20t is up on DropBox.

Features
* Pick your own colors for Screen 3. Any color combinaton you can imagine.
---Pick from a small selection of predefined colors
---Or define your colors by RGB. Find colors you like on the web and just move the sliders to the three RGB values.
---Of define your colors by Hue, Saturation and Value
---Pick one color for the Background then select another for the Text.
---Mess up-Press reset to go back to previous color before entering Settings menu
---Really Mess up-Press reset and hold reset down to go back to the default settings.

If you come up with a nice set of colors post your two sets of RGB number here for other to try. Just go into the RGB selector to read out the current RGB values for Background and Text.

-----
If you don't get the HSV screen but the Pick screen again then download from DropBox again.

garygid said:
You no longer charge to full (which would be about 95% SOC)?

Normally one charges to 80% SOC, or to "full".
How do you stop the charging early?

No, on the 2013 dash 98% is basically the same as 100%, but you still get regen. It doesn't take very long from 80% to 98%. I check on it after awhile, and then stop charging when it reaches 98%.
Gary, a side note: If I turn on the car with the EV CAN OBDC before opening the App, the EVS icon and orange triangle won't light, but if I start the App first, it always does. I don't ever remember seeing it using the CAR CAN OBDC.

Absolutely amazing job with the color settings and color picker for screen 3!!! Can we have the color choices for screen 1 and 2 also? Just kidding... sort of. :oops:

Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
The one from Simvalley Mobile, $18 from Amazon works great and can be taken apart easily and modified to read the EV CAN as well as the CAR CAN.
Can you post the link on Amazon?

Sure! But it's $18 and from Simvalley Mobile. I edited my previous post.
Even though you can leave it plugged in without draining your 12V (just the red power light), I'm going to put a switch in for 'OFF, CAR, EV'. Gary posted directions on how and where to move the wires.
http://www.amazon.com/Vgate-ELM327-Bluetooth-Scanner-ANDROID/dp/B00AAOOQJC/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368070448&sr=8-2&keywords=vgate+elm327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

v20t:
Very nice color choicing mechanisms. Thanks.

For text color, best to avoid the four (?) temperature colors,
like the "pick" of dark blue, since the 4 temperature colors
seem to be fixed.

When using Debug, there was some text showing in
previous versions, like "Logging text page" or something
like that. It no longer shows. Is it gone, or just white
text on a white background?

Gary, my CAP reading from the App says 95%. Does this mean that I've lost 5% Capacity already? When I charged it to 98%, your Gid meter said 96.8%/270G. Which one, Gid% or App% is the most accurate? Thanks!

LEAFfan said:
Gary, my CAP reading from the App says 95%. Does this mean that I've lost 5% Capacity already? When I charged it to 98%, your Gid meter said 96.8%/270G. Which one, Gid% or App% is the most accurate? Thanks!
Based on the Arizona Range Test and Nissan's own testing the answer is neither. Both Gids and Capacity (which presumably the Capacity bars are based on) were shown to be overly pessimistic in predicting actual capacity loss. I am still waiting for the update that is supposed to make the capacity more accurate.

I am not sure if this feature has been requested previously (and I have somewhat of a life, so I am not going to read through 70 pages of this thread again), but here is my request: save the latest data between restarts of the Leaf application instead of using bogus data on screens 1 and 2 and resetting screen 3 to zeros. Just tonite I was checking to see how much the battery pack temperature dropped over a two hour period with a 10 degree F. differential between battery pack temp and ambient temp. Unfortunately, the accuracy of my report is significantly affected by the fact that I can't remember exactly what the battery temp was when I got home 2 hours ago. :oops:

PS I think the temp only dropped 0.3 degrees F., but not sure, it may have been even less.

Stoaty said:
I am not sure if this feature has been requested previously (and I have somewhat of a life, so I am not going to read through 70 pages of this thread again), but here is my request: save the latest data between restarts of the Leaf application instead of using bogus data on screens 1 and 2 and resetting screen 3 to zeros. Just tonite I was checking to see how much the battery pack temperature dropped over a two hour period with a 10 degree F. differential between battery pack temp and ambient temp. Unfortunately, the accuracy of my report is significantly affected by the fact that I can't remember exactly what the battery temp was when I got home 2 hours ago. :oops:

PS I think the temp only dropped 0.3 degrees F., but not sure, it may have been even less.

Good idea.

LEAFfan said:
Without knowing where you are reading the 98%,
(the dash of a 2013 LEAF?) the rest is rather difficult to interpret.

When you charge to "full" (often called 100%), what GIDs and %GIDs
do you read, and from what meter?
Did you ever get 281 GIDs,or better?

The CAP % from the app is a guess, using a divisor that you
can set to get any percentage that you want.
The default for that divisor is also a guess.

We should start another thread for interpreting LEAF Battery app
readings. I have no real experience with the Dashboard % number
in the 2013 LEAF.

garygid said:
LEAFfan said:
Without knowing where you are reading the 98%,
(the dash of a 2013 LEAF?) the rest is rather difficult to interpret.

When you charge to "full" (often called 100%), what GIDs and %GIDs
do you read, and from what meter?
Did you ever get 281 GIDs,or better?

The CAP % from the app is a guess, using a divisor that you
can set to get any percentage that you want.
The default for that divisor is also a guess.

We should start another thread for interpreting LEAF Battery app
readings. I have no real experience with the Dashboard % number
in the 2013 LEAF.

Yes, the 98% is from the 2013's dash. The highest Gid reading was 270 even at 100% charging so that's why I only charge to 98% now. Nothing seems to change except the pack gets hotter, takes a long time to reach a full 100%, and I have no regen.

I'm an iPhone user so excuse my naivety but it seems odd that there is a list of devices that this is confirmed to work on. Shouldn't this work on all devices that are capable of running whichever Android OS version is needed? Which leads to my next question. Is there a minimum OS version required? I had an old G1 running 1.6 laying around and was surprised that the application even installed. It immediately crashes upon opening though.

Back