Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vrwl said:
Not quite sure how this app would be considered a modification of your car. You plugged a device into a plug receptacle they provide on the car. You've done nothing "to" it.

We can agree on that, however the techs and service writers may not see it the same way.

I recall taking my Wife's Altima in for service several years ago and had a compact logging device in the OBD Port (CarChip by Davis). Their initial reaction was "What is this? This is probably contributing to the problems you have brought the car in for!!" I convinced them it was a logging device only and if they removed it and ran their diagnostics, it could no longer be 'causing a problem'. Later visits they simply unplugged and re-plugged at the end of the service visit. Once they get accustomed to them they are OK, but expect a reaction the first time.

Third party shops such as Bridgestone have less of a defensive reaction to these devices, and welcome the data I bring to their attention that shows what the car was doing when a problem first surfaced.

vsiev said:
vrwl said:
Not quite sure how this app would be considered a modification of your car. You plugged a device into a plug receptacle they provide on the car. You've done nothing "to" it.

Yeah but trying to explain that to the service rep without much trouble is pretty difficult with the dealerships I have to deal with. They might think otherwise. I would think the sensor would throw a code if it was dead....I wouldn't be surprised if it was not even plugged in with all the issues I had so far. I'm still waiting for a rear bumper bracket which they forgot to install at the factory. It causes my rear bumper to shift time to time and not sit flushed with the rear quarter panel. I wonder if the 2013 models uses different codes.....just to be sure, anyone with a 2013 model having issues with the temp readings? I'll try to find another reader to be certain. Anyone in San Diego willing to let me try out their scanner? :mrgreen:

I'm in Singing Hills and have two ELM327s that work with my eVent phone. PM me, I'll let you try with my devices.
Rick

garygid said:
The percent number displayed on the "battery" (the tank) by
the 2013 LEAF needs a name, so that it is not confused with
the SOC, %Gids, or some other value.

Perhaps POST (Percent of Shrunken Tank)?

2012/2011 didn't have the percent on the dash display? Hmm.

Yogi62 said:
Mine as well. Perhaps 2013 SV's might not have the same sensor hookup? Anyone with a 2013 SV and all four temps?

I have a 13 SV. Which screen are you wanting?

Yogi62 said:
LEAFfan said:
Both my friend's 2013 SV and mine have the same issue with the third TS.

Mine as well. Perhaps 2013 SV's might not have the same sensor hookup? Anyone with a 2013 SV and all four temps?

I heard that with the introduction of the cold weather package, Nissan changed from 4 temp sensors to 6 temp sensors. Has anyone else heard this?

ahagge said:
Perhaps some others with Gingerbread-based Android phones could chime in about their experiences. Has it worked flawlessly? Do you have issues with stopping at random, losing connection, etc.?

I am using an original Droid with CyanagenMod7. Sometimes the Bluetooth connection fails hard 1-2 minutes into the journey. Resetting the ELM327 has no effect, exiting and restarting the app has no effect. I found this morning that putting the phone into airplane mode and back into regular mode re-establishes the connection.

The OBD unit/droid combo I have maintains only 50% good data acquisition over a 50 minute journey. Even when it's working it's not solid.

FairwoodRed said:
Yogi62 said:
LEAFfan said:
Both my friend's 2013 SV and mine have the same issue with the third TS.

I heard that with the introduction of the cold weather package, Nissan changed from 4 temp sensors to 6 temp sensors. Has anyone else heard this?

Nope. It has six 50 watt heaters, however, in addition to 4 temperature probes.

sorphin said:
Yogi62 said:

It's the first screen on the LEAF Battery App where it shows all four temp sensors. Since our third one doesn't read, Jim.makes it show question marks. That way, we can still get an average from the other three.

JPWhite said:
ahagge said:
Perhaps some others with Gingerbread-based Android phones could chime in about their experiences. Has it worked flawlessly? Do you have issues with stopping at random, losing connection, etc.?

I am using an original Droid with CyanagenMod7. Sometimes the Bluetooth connection fails hard 1-2 minutes into the journey. Resetting the ELM327 has no effect, exiting and restarting the app has no effect. I found this morning that putting the phone into airplane mode and back into regular mode re-establishes the connection.

The OBD unit/droid combo I have maintains only 50% good data acquisition over a 50 minute journey. Even when it's working it's not solid.

Ok, that proofs it -

do you use Pandora - or any BT music app - / have it on your device?

Than uninstall it and magically the BT issue will disappear!

what causes this is that these apps, relentlessly take over the BT - claiming to be the one and only - even disabling the to use BT at start-up will not stop those apps from grabbing the BT for them only.

Rallph

ralphmc said:
JPWhite said:
ahagge said:

Ok, that proofs it -

do you use Pandora - or any BT music app - / have it on your device?

Than uninstall it and magically the BT issue will disappear!

what causes this is that these apps, relentlessly take over the BT - claiming to be the one and only - even disabling the to use BT at start-up will not stop those apps from grabbing the BT for them only.

Rallph

This is a brand new CM install on an old phone I had retired.

The ONLY application that shows under downloaded apps is Leaf Battery :)

I terminated the stock music player app and will see how that goes this evening.

Boomer23 said:
Just a quick post to say that I've joined the club "With a little (a lot!) of help from my friends!"

I'm using a "full size" Vgate ELM dongle that Gary tested and certified as good.>>>>>>>>>

Thanks again, everyone involved. At this very least, this is cheap fun!
+1. Mine tested and works fine. For now I have switched back to my trusty antique original Gid meter, the 3rd kit Gary sold IIRC, until "true Gids" can be displayed on the Elm.

With the hot weather having started, I am going to be tracking Battery Temperature frequently to do my best to limit capacity loss. While I appreciate the battery cell graphics, Battery Temp is most important to me. I understand display real estate is tight, but I would really value having the average of the 4 temperature readings displayed in a large type on the "driving" screen. Perhaps this is already available.

tbleakne said:
I understand display real estate is tight, but I would really value having the average of the 4 temperature readings displayed in a large type on the "driving" screen. Perhaps this is already available.

On the third screen which I believe you cal the driving screen. There is a faint button next to the temperature reading. Press that and you will see the number displayed toggles between Min, Max and Average.

Personally I display Max. When some part of the pack reaches 86F I want to know about it :)

tbleakne said:
While I appreciate the battery cell graphics, Battery Temp is most important to me. I understand display real estate is tight, but I would really value having the average of the 4 temperature readings displayed in a large type on the "driving" screen. Perhaps this is already available.
Yes, it is so important to me that I requested that Screen 2 (Voltage Histogram) be switchable to a graphical display of the 4 battery temperature sensors (and that those bars be color coded). Jim hasn't responded to that request yet (not that I am complaining, he seems to be very busy working on this fabulous app). He is currently working on getting regen/total braking displayed on a new screen 4. That is of mild interest to me (at best), but perhaps his new technique can be extended to other items of interest. I don't even know enough about it to have an educated opinion.

LEAFfan said:
sorphin said:
Yogi62 said:

It's the first screen on the LEAF Battery App where it shows all four temp sensors. Since our third one doesn't read, Jim.makes it show question marks. That way, we can still get an average from the other three.

I can confirm that.. my 3rd sensor shows '???'

Thought people would like to see what is coming.

Here is a screenshot of the Regen/Braking screen. It is a stacked bar graph where mechanical (red) braking on top and regen (green) on the bottom. I only went around the block so it is hard to see areas where there is a little red on top of green. That means, given driving conditions allow, I could back off on the brake pressure to keep it all regen (green). From the scale it looks like I should zoom in a little so full regen is a taller bar (2x?).

The chart moves from right to left like a heart monitor so oldest data scrolls off the left edge. It is a 10 second window with newest sample at 0 seconds.

This is not the final screen layout, just the first try at seeing how it looks and what needs to be changed.

screenshot2013051414385.png

This screen shows real Gids at the bottom using a modified ELM327 that connects to the EV-CAN bus. For now, reading Gids is a manual operation triggered by switching to screen 4. Screen 4 is the listen screen. If you have indicated in Settings that the ELM327 is connected to the EV-CAN then going to Screen 4 will capture the Gids value and display it in the lower left corner. Brake/Regen monitoring is not available when using a modified ELM327 connected to the EV-CAN bus.

I will probably be looking into integrating the listen mode into the general command loop for future versions.

screenshot2013051414361.png

Turbo3 said:
Thought people would like to see what is coming.

Here is a screenshot of the Regen/Braking screen. It is a stacked bar graph where mechanical (red) braking on top and regen (green) on the bottom. I only went around the block so it is hard to see areas where there is a little red on top of green. That means, given driving conditions allow, I could back off on the brake pressure to keep it all regen (green). From the scale it looks like I should zoom in a little so full regen is a taller bar (2x?).

The chart moves from right to left like a heart monitor so oldest data scrolls off the left edge. It is a 10 second window with newest sample at 0 seconds.
That looks really cool! Guess I will have to try out the new 0.23e version for myself.

Thanks for the awesome work turbo3

I have a bug report.

the range estimation control breaks when you set everything to metric.
where you would have km/kwh is blank, I tried messing around with the settings, it works for everything else unless you are set to km/kwh

here is a screenshot
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9tuMw2sAiICbjlncHZlb2JETE0/edit?usp=sharing

also, i will modify my ELM (just got it today) to read the EV can with a dpdt switch.
for curiosity sake, I have 30,000km (18600mi) on a Nov 2011 Leaf and Cap is 97.3%
Is that good? I dunno. I was hoping for 98+

Back