Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting two question marks (??) for the 3rd temperature reading on screen 1 (bar graph). Anyone else getting unread data for their temperature measurements?

vsiev said:
I am getting two question marks (??) for the 3rd temperature reading on screen 1 (bar graph). Anyone else getting unread data for their temperature measurements?
Go into Settings menu and on the Debug panel check Enable and select Temps. Go to screen 3 and wait until it gets refreshed with data from the Leaf. Post a screenshot of the data.

The ?? means the app received 0xFFFF from that sensor instead of a valid reading.

Here is what a good reading should look like.

leafbat023ea.png

So does it mean I have a bad temp sensor? Or could it be the obdii reader? Should I take it in to the dealership for them to test? The ?? has been like that since the previous versions of the app. I thought it was a bug...

vsiev said:
Should I take it in to the dealership for them to test?
I have no meaningful answer for your question, but wow, if you do take it in, I bet your discussion with the how and why with the service writer would prove amusing before it becomes fruitful... Wishing you luck on resolution, none the less... [this level of insight is why I am getting on board with the program here, btw.]

JimSouCal said:
vsiev said:
Should I take it in to the dealership for them to test?
I have no meaningful answer for your question, but wow, if you do take it in, I bet your discussion with the how and why with the service writer would prove amusing before it becomes fruitful... Wishing you luck on resolution, none the less... [this level of insight is why I am getting on board with the program here, btw.]

Yeah I think I might have to wait for my annual battery check up to bring it up (April 2014). I might get denied for warranty work if they think I "modified" my car....

vsiev said:
Yeah I think I might have to wait for my annual battery check up to bring it up (April 2014). I might get denied for warranty work if they think I "modified" my car....

Not quite sure how this app would be considered a modification of your car. You plugged a device into a plug receptacle they provide on the car. You've done nothing "to" it.

vsiev said:
So does it mean I have a bad temp sensor? Or could it be the obdii reader? Should I take it in to the dealership for them to test? The ?? has been like that since the previous versions of the app. I thought it was a bug...
Try out an OBDII scanner that someone else has that is known to work (assuming there is someone in your area that has one)... or spend the big bucks and get a second one to try.

I added a screenshot of the data log imported into a spreadsheet to the Wiki manual. Note that the columns for Pack Temperatures 2 and 3, and the columns for Cell Pairs 2-95 have been removed to make it easier to see the data structure:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application#Settings_Screen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a quick post to say that I've joined the club "With a little (a lot!) of help from my friends!"

I'm using a "full size" Vgate ELM dongle that Gary tested and certified as good, and a "previously loved" Droid X2 from a generous forum friend.

Many thanks to Jim, Gary, Stoaty and my "phone friend" for their generosity of time, care and materials. With the great documentation in this thread and Stoaty's Wiki under construction last Saturday night, I was able to overcome some hurdles and get up and running later in the day that I got the hardware.

I'm seeing 86.55% CAP in my 22,500 mile, two year old LEAF with 12 capacity bars, but I'm really only getting 80% of the driving range compared to my pack when new at the same indicated mi/kWh, so I'm mildly confused by that.

Thanks again, everyone involved. At this very least, this is cheap fun!

vrwl said:
Not quite sure how this app would be considered a modification of your car. You plugged a device into a plug receptacle they provide on the car. You've done nothing "to" it.

Yeah but trying to explain that to the service rep without much trouble is pretty difficult with the dealerships I have to deal with. They might think otherwise. I would think the sensor would throw a code if it was dead....I wouldn't be surprised if it was not even plugged in with all the issues I had so far. I'm still waiting for a rear bumper bracket which they forgot to install at the factory. It causes my rear bumper to shift time to time and not sit flushed with the rear quarter panel. I wonder if the 2013 models uses different codes.....just to be sure, anyone with a 2013 model having issues with the temp readings? I'll try to find another reader to be certain. Anyone in San Diego willing to let me try out their scanner? :mrgreen:

Good to hear, and welcome aboard Boomer! I just mentioned to some friends this past weekend how much I appreciated the energy and the enthusiasm on this thread. It's infectious!

vsiev said:
vrwl said:

Yeah but trying to explain that to the service rep without much trouble is pretty difficult with the dealerships I have to deal with. They might think otherwise. I would think the sensor would throw a code if it was dead....I wouldn't be surprised if it was not even plugged in with all the issues I had so far. I'm still waiting for a rear bumper bracket which they forgot to install at the factory. It causes my rear bumper to shift time to time and not sit flushed with the rear quarter panel. I wonder if the 2013 models uses different codes.....just to be sure, anyone with a 2013 model having issues with the temp readings? I'll try to find another reader to be certain. Anyone in San Diego willing to let me try out their scanner? :mrgreen:

Both my friend's 2013 SV and mine have the same issue with the third TS.

LEAFfan said:
Try 66.3AH which should equal 100%.

I adjusted to 66.3AH and now this is how things look (not at 100% though, but it shows the 'differences' between the car display, the SOC and 'GID %'. This is with the last .23e.

dbgyf4.jpg

4gp0zr.jpg

The percent number displayed on the "battery" (the tank) by
the 2013 LEAF needs a name, so that it is not confused with
the SOC, %Gids, or some other value.

Perhaps POST (Percent of Shrunken Tank)?

LEAFfan said:
vsiev said:
vrwl said:

Both my friend's 2013 SV and mine have the same issue with the third TS.

Mine as well. Perhaps 2013 SV's might not have the same sensor hookup? Anyone with a 2013 SV and all four temps?

A suggestion:
The Force Log button in Settings should either force a log entry
as close to when it is pressed as is possible without upsetting
the polling, or be relabeled Trigger Log. I favor the former.

In either case, after being pressed, and before the log is written,
the button should indicate that it is waiting to do the requested
Log operation, perhaps by turning Red, and / or saying "Waiting".

With every Log request, even if the LEAF data has not changed,
the GPS data might have changed, and at least the time (seconds)
has changed. So, the user probably has a reason for wanting
a log entry "now", for example when passing a mileage marker,
or some value changing on the dashboard.

Note:
One should allow their Android device to connect to the
Internet occasionally, to re-sync the Android clock with
the Internet time servers.

Back