Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Version 0.24 is now available. Here is a direct link or use the Look for Updates button in the app.

http://bit.ly/leaf_batt-024

WiKi will need lots of updates for this version.

5/17/2013 4:35PM - One minor bug. Please download again.

Awesome. Had to go out to the garage to get another beer anyway, upgraded en route. I'll try it out tomorrow. Didn't see the braking screen, maybe it needs data first.

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.24 is now available. Here is a direct link or use the Look for Updates button in the app.

I'm going to need a whole new set of screenshots from someone with that capability (all in landscape mode, please) of the following:

--Screen 1
--Screen 2A and 2B
--Screen 3
--Overlapping screenshots of all the different portions of the settings screen

Stoaty said:
Turbo3 said:

I'm going to need a whole new set of screenshots from someone with that capability (all in landscape mode, please) of the following:

--Screen 1
--Screen 2A and 2B
--Screen 3

En-route to your email addy.

Here are shots of the Settings for 0.24.

lb024settingsa.png

lb024settingsb.png

If you toggle the Test Mode check box on and off it will restore the original test data. If you leave it on and exit Settings it will cycle the temps on screen 2B. You must either connect to the Leaf to load fresh data or exit and restart app to load the previously saved data.

You can not enter Test Mode if connected to the Leaf. It will be grayed out.

Simple enough. My screen's got a higher DPI, which produces larger UI elements and might be easier to read when the images are downsized or thumbnailed...

*screenshot* *screenshot* *screenshot*... not connected to the car, but the last data that was up there is useful. :)

Attachments

• 2013-05-18 01.40.17.png
    2013-05-18 01.40.17.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 2013-05-18 01.40.24.png
    2013-05-18 01.40.24.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 2013-05-18 01.40.40.png
    2013-05-18 01.40.40.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 59
JPWhite said:
Stoaty said:
Turbo3 said:

--Screen 1
--Screen 2A and 2B
--Screen 3

Got the screenshots, thanks. Just came down with a really nasty virus, couldn't even get out of bed for most of the last 24 hours. Will work on the Wiki when I feel a bit better.

We were using 8,4,2,1 bit ordering for the shunts.
The fit to the cell voltage data seemed poor.

Version 24 is using 1,2,4,8 I believe, but I am not sure that
the Shunt data displayed above was created with v24.
With what I see above, it looks like swapping the 1st and 3rd
bits, and swapping the 2nd and 4th bits gives a better fit.

So, assuming that the above is true 1,2,4,8 shunt data...
I am considering that the bit ordering 4,8,1,2 might be
better, but I will need to check this hypothesis further
before making a recommendation for a change.

Suggestion:
Add the text ", Shunts at 1248" after the word "Scale" on Screen 1.
(or whatever bit order is being used for the shunt highlights)
We had the 8421 ordering in previous versions.

This would help us get the analysis of the Shunt positions
done correctly. Once we get it right, the text could be
discontinued. Thanks.

Stoaty said:
JPWhite said:
Got the screenshots, thanks. Just came down with a really nasty virus, couldn't even get out of bed for most of the last 24 hours. Will work on the Wiki when I feel a bit better.
It might be easier for people to upload files to the wiki server directly. If you include a short description when you upload a pic, then whoever is using them in the wiki can find them listed here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:ListFiles
and incorporate them into the revised page. All you need to do to upload is login with your forum id and click on the "Upload file" link on the left. Give the file a unique filename and a description and you are done!

Great - thanks.

Does this version now read "true" Gids from the EV-CAN if selected?

Also, it's probably updating your 1st post to link to this version.

Turbo3 said:

5/17/2013 4:35PM - One minor bug. Please download again.

firetrax said:

No, "true" Gids are not read if you are connected to the EV-CAN. That will be enabled in a later version and there will be a second line below the current 'Gids line so both will be displayed. The code is there but I need additional testing of the switch between listen mode and command mode.

Don't understand the second sentence.

--------------------------------------------
Now that I think about it I will probably make the CAR-CAN/EV-CAN selection auto detect at startup. Easier for me to test so I don't have to keep going to the Settings menu to make the switch. This will be the design goal.

Turbo3 said:
Now that I think about it I will probably make the CAR-CAN/EV-CAN selection auto detect at startup. Easier for me to test so I don't have to keep going to the Settings menu to make the switch. This will be the design goal.

Just stick your ear on the CAN bus for a second. If you get slapped in the face by message IDs 372/374/384 a thousand times before you can even blink an eye, you're on the EV-CAN bus. :lol:

Turbo3 said:
firetrax said:

No, "true" Gids are not read if you are connected to the EV-CAN. That will be enabled in a later version and there will be a second line below the current 'Gids line so both will be displayed. The code is there but I need additional testing of the switch between listen mode and command mode.

Don't understand the second sentence.

--------------------------------------------

That's a great idea Jim! When I get the switch installed, it will make it much easier to change back and forth.

tbleakne said:
With some coaching from 91040, I am now happily using the Elm as my main Gid meter. Sorry I was too clueless to see the very nice highly legible driving screen with color-coded battery temperature.

A thin foam pad I bought at Michaels is working well to keep the Kocera phone from slipping from its spot down near the usb port on the car. I find this location less distracting than one nearer the window.

Tbleakne, knowing your penchant for exact data for managing your driving range, how are you coping with the "simulated Gids" on the ELM device? Did you decide that the inaccuracy isn't significant enough to worry about, or are you mentally applying a small factor depending on your SOC level (simulated Gids being thought to be closer to "real" Gids at higher SOC)?

At higher charge levels, the SOC or GIDs do not matter
so very much, although reliable available energy readings
can help in doing our Go or No-Go planning.

It is often more at the lower levels where one needs a dependable
measure of the (still to be) available energy, to help determine
the answer to "Am I going to get there?" or "Do I need to stop
and recharge?".

When you are feeling better Stoaty, I found Gary's post (p. 63) for the third mod of the ELM that you can add to the Wiki:

With a 2 pole double throw switch, possibly a slide switch
because it typically has a much lower profile inside the case,
try to figure where to mount it so that it does not block the
Bluetooth antenna, and is clear of the inside circuitry.
It should also be located where you can operate it while
it is plugged in.

That is the hard part.
From me, finding where I put my slide switches is a problem.

Each side of the double throw switch has pin 1, a common (pin 2) , and pin 3.
Call the two sides of the switch A and B.

The wire going to pin 14 should be disconnected from pin 14 and connected to A2.
The wire going to pin 6 should be disconnected from pin 6 and connected to B2.

Connect A1 to pin 14, and then connect A3 to pin 12.
Connect B1 to pin 6, and then connect B3 to pin 13.

Back