Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Harris from the Seattle Facebook group was able to run the app on Android emulator in Parallels Desktop on his Mac.

Click to open

Are the. a, b, and c versions the beta versions? When I clicked on the beta access button in the App, it asked for a password. I missed the post telling us the password.

Will this approach embed the font in the application bundle?
a short question deserves a short answer: YES

here is an example using the above font (my application is for the iMiev)
pict_121203_082720.png

QueenBee said:
... Has anyone had an issue of clicking a
few times a second from the passenger side wheel well? This happened while connected watching the car charge with the car off, after the charging completed. The ELM green light was blinking to the clicking and it stopped when I unplugged it.

See my post here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still not positive what was causing the problem. And I didn't even think to check the ELM when it happened. But it's interesting that we had the same issue.

vrwl said:
QueenBee said:
few times a second from the passenger side wheel well? This happened while connected watching the car charge with the car off, after the charging completed. The ELM green light was blinking to the clicking and it stopped when I unplugged it.

See my post here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still not positive what was causing the problem. And I didn't even think to check the ELM when it happened. But it's interesting that we had the same issue.
This happened to me a week or so ago. I was monitoring charging on the ELM. I think it had just finished charging and I heard the clicking, so I unplugged the EVSE and the Leaf continued to click. I was about to reach for the ELM when the clicking stopped. It hasn't repeated, but I don't recall exactly what I was doing at the time.

nogajim said:
vrwl said:
QueenBee said:

This happened to me a week or so ago. I was monitoring charging on the ELM. I think it had just finished charging and I heard the clicking, so I unplugged the EVSE and the Leaf continued to click. I was about to reach for the ELM when the clicking stopped. It hasn't repeated, but I don't recall exactly what I was doing at the time.

Well, I guess if we want to chat more about the clicking issue, let's take it out of this conversation and put it over in the separate post I created.

Versions 0.24d and 0.24d-FS are now available for testing.

Features
- Two versions: Standard version (0.24d) with notification bar and Full Screen version (0.24d-FS).
- Adjusted Historgram labels so they match data. First label may or may not match other label's interval.
- Shunt order can be changed on Settings/DTE debug panel. This is a temporary location and will be removed once we determine the correct ordering.
- The time interval between CAN frame responses can be adjusted. This may or may not reduce/eliminate the clicking of a relay. This is in the Settings/Debug panel. Default is 0x18 which is 24 msec. Since I can not test this feature out right now (no Leaf) longer times may cause constant timeouts.
- Screen 3 fonts were made smaller to support the notification bar at the top taking away usable space.

The scale factor is a user selected value. It is never adjusted by the app. So screens 1 and 2 scales are always what the user selected. If the scale is too small some data will go off screen. The only adjustment the app makes is to try to keep the data within the selected window size by adjusting the starting voltage offset. Voltage offset is the only parameter that has every been auto adjusted since going to this fixed scale mode.

Wh- Watt Hours used is calculated by saving the current SOC as a starting point (can be updated by pressing the Reset button) and then subtracting the current SOC value from it. So if you see it going up or down it is because that is what the SOC is doing. The only thing the app does is convert SOC % to Wh. Which is like converting pounds to kg in that only a constant is used for the conversion. So it can go down when you think it should go up and up when you think it should go down. The battery is not a tank. The amount of energy reported to be availble changes all the time even when you think nothing is happening.

I tried to make a single version to switch full screen on and off which I can do. However the screens do not readjust to the new size so either data is pushed off the bottom when going from Full to Notification bar or when going from Notification bar to Full there will be unused space at the bottom. B4A does all the screen calculations when loading the app and does not recalculate them if it actually changes later on. There are ways around this but I would need to create all the screen dynamically within the program instead of using B4A designer feature. Perhaps in the distant future I will do this but I have too many other CAN features to put in. So pick whichever version you like but don't ask to be able to change it from within the app.

Turbo3 said:
Versions 0.24d and 0.24d-FS are now available for testing.

- Screen 3 fonts were made smaller to support the notification bar at the top taking away usable space.
That is the only thing I don't like about the new version. Not only do I like the larger fonts, I would actually like to move in the opposite direction. I would be very happy with just SOC, simulated Gids and Temperature--all in the largest font that will fit on screen. Don't know if there is an easy way to make this screen more customizable though; sounds like it would be a lot of work.

I'm not seeing any difference in the 1248 and the 4812 on 0.24d-FS (this is with the app not connected to the adapter, so new data isn't coming in). Perhaps that is the problem? Restarting the app didn't have any effect.

I was thinking of reprocessing the the saved data with the new shunt assignment but got distracted by all the screen changes which just seem to go on and on.

I'll work on that now.

Just refresh 0.24d both versions with code to recal shunt highlighting for saved data. You will need to download it again.

Might be a bug so I took it all down. Leaf just go back.

0.24d-FS appears to be broken here. Shows "Connected", but no data is being sent, the screens don't update. A check of the Settings screen under statistics confirms that there haven't been any "reads" at all (or failures - all the numbers are 0). I thought maybe my ELM327 went south, but reinstalled 0.24 and everything appears to be fine. I think I tested 0.24c and it was OK, but have to check on this. More to follow.

I went back and tested. The latest beta version that works for me is 0.24a. Starting with 0.24b (and all later versions), no data is being received and displayed by the app. I have a Fusion 2 phone and the AGPTek scanner listed in the Wiki manual. Note that the phone has no cell service; it is being used strictly as a display device.

I removed some setup code for listen mode that I was testing that might have caused the issue.

Added code to rehighlight the saved data when you change the shunt order.

Only Full Screen version for now. If it all works I'll put up the other flavor.

Another thing I've noticed is in the earlier versions (19 and <), the 12V reading was spot on, but now it's way off, when car is in Ready and just On or Off.

Turbo3 said:
That reading comes right from the ELM327. I just display the text string it sends the app.

Ah, interesting and good to know because now I'm using the same ELM, but in CAR. When I had the accurate readings, I was using the EV CAN one.

Turbo3 said:
I removed some setup code for listen mode that I was testing that might have caused the issue.

Added code to rehighlight the saved data when you change the shunt order.

Only Full Screen version for now. If it all works I'll put up the other flavor.
0.24d-FS is now working properly. I have a suggested shunt order from brief experiments--4812. It is the only one I have seen so far that has all of the highest voltage cell pairs with the shunting active.

Edit: I see 4812 is what Gary suggested. Looks good to me.

Couple of minor bugs:

--under Setting Screen, Test push 18=24 ms and see that it is listed as the "Defalut" ;)

--"Connected Failed" might be better changed to "Connection Failed"

LEAFfan said:
No, c does the same as d, shows connected but no reads. I had to go back to v.24 too.

Ditto. Updates for maybe a few seconds then stops. Went back to .24 stable.

It seems c version also wiped out this mornings data captured by b. Or maybe b version never recorded.

Back