Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone (preferably from a warmer climate) pull up the app when you are close to LBW/VLBW? My guess is a the lower states of charge is where your going to see the most deviation between the cells.

The genuine ELM327 has a serial number etched/stamped/engraved
into the bottom face of the enclosure. I ordered one from Ebay that
pictured a serial number, but the vendor delivered a clone instead.

Typically, you never know what quality that you are going to get.
Even if you got a "good" clone, you might have just been lucky,
because these vendors might get new stock from anywhere.

According to the comments, some work OK, but others fail
to maintain the connection, or have other problems that make
them work sometimes but not others.

Yes, the genuine one costs more, and it might not work well
either. :eek:

I have one "genuine" (I presume) and one clone, and neither
gives consistent results, but that might be due to the app
or my Android Tablets.

I will test more later today.

New version posted at bottom of first post on page 1.

Changes
* Program version number displayed. Currently "v0.05"
* Software version ID of BT OBDII Adapter is also now reported
* Auto Bluetooth Enable/Disable (not recommended, delays startup/exiting)
* Auto device selection supported when auto enabling Bluetooth

I would like to hear back from people on the OBDII version ID that you see for both clone and "real" BT OBDII adapters.

I do not recommend using the auto Enable/Disable Bluetooth feature as it delays the startup and shutting down of the program while the Bluetooth adapter is enabled and disabled. It is faster to have Bluetooth enabled before you start the program. But both work the same except for the delay.

I am very interested in seeing the version ID for all the OBDII adapter out there so please post a one liner here with what you get.

Sofware version V0.05 (partially covered by other information). Mac address 11:22:33:dd:ee:ff. ELM 327 V1.5. Identical to the little blue adapter shown in first post of this thread, except no "made in China" sticker.

I'll download V.06 in a few minutes, but phone is dead right now. One problem I've had, is if I leave the app active, it keeps my display active. I pulled my phone out of my holster, and it was hot from having the display on, and the battery was low.

I always tap the power button before I put my phone away, but at least occassionally, the screen turns back on within a few seconds. After installing v0.06, the version at the bottom of the screen looks great, but I couldn't get it to connect. I had to turn off bluetooth on my phone, turn it back on and wait for the phone to connect to the ELM327. I think that has more to phone than the app. I have to go through the same procedure to get my phone to connect to the leaf audio system for streaming audio.

I'd love a screen shot with a time stamp on it and maybe outside temperature. That way I can do a monthly snapshot and check battery capacity. better yet, save my records and do a graph to see how it changes with the seasons.

Dan, The double tap of the power button to turn off the display is something I have seen too. So far I do not have a fix but did post on the B4a forum for a solution.

It does not save any taps but use the return button to switch away from my app then tap the power button.

Turbo3, would it be difficult to implement some kind of logging in the app?

Maybe something like logging the voltages, soc, temps, to a csv file while still maintaining the possibility to see them in near realtime ? :)

Amazing work!

Cheers!

If you haven't seen it yet the Kyocera Event is on Amazon at $50. It's android with Bluetooth and a decent screen so it'd make a good cheap ODBII dedicated phone if you don't want use your main phone for that.

I'm assuming running the tool on this first post is about all I need to do for a battery health check if I'm buying a used leaf?

dhanson865 said:
If you haven't seen it yet the Kyocera Event is on Amazon at $50. It's android with Bluetooth and a decent screen so it'd make a good cheap ODBII dedicated phone if you don't want use your main phone for that.

The screen on the Event is 3.5" @ 320x480, so not a lot of real estate available. Might not be the best option for this app, since there will be a lot of data crammed into a small screen. I had to place my phone mount just to the right of the rear view mirror so it's close to me (but not obstructing view), because the SOC numbers are very small and difficult to read on my 4" screen. It would probably work well if the app includes options to customize the display of items in the future. I wouldn't mind it displaying just the SOC in large size, with other info smaller- then press a button to get to the cell pair volt graph.

I'm assuming running the tool on this first post is about all I need to do for a battery health check if I'm buying a used leaf?

Battery health is in the upper right corner. It's not 100% accurate (since new LEAF's show over 100%), but it's probably the best estimate that can be made with the information available. Mine is around 98% after almost 1 year and 15,000 miles of very abusive treatment (although most of the LEAF's life has been below 70F and will continue to be since I live in MI). ;)

Here's another small screen option:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Virgin-Mobile-PCD-Chaser-Prepaid-Cell-Phone/20575504?_mm=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$39.88 with same-day site-to-store at Wally World.

We can add some other screens to rotate through, but the fuel level
(either GIDs, or possibly SOC * capacity) is what one usually wants
while driving. The SOC could substitute, as long as one realizes that
the "tank is shrinking".

The 8.8 x 6.5 inches listed for that phone must be for the package,
and it says no longer available online.
There is limited stock at a few nearby stores,
but is it really suitable?

Does it have WiFi capability?

Do you know the screen resolution for this one,
or for the Fusion 2 that Turbo3 is using?

Here is another, for $49.88, that is in stock.
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=56842197F33F2FC487A6CD79DC2DCD4E#ip/20933060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has WiFi and Bluetooth, unspecified screen resolution.

Back