Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been busy learning how to do a "Settings" screen. Easy once you know the right commands.

Gary, Screen shot was taken with Basic4android built in function when attached to phone. The Fusion 2 has no built in screenshot funciton :-(

Fusion 2 is 320x480. There will be additional screens with larger fonts. Except for the cell pair voltage chart the other data (SOC,CAP,Temps) is there just for debug and will be available on a separate screen with larger fonts. Gauges too for some items.

Logging will be added saved in cvs format to either internal or SD card. User selectable interval. Perhaps charting of data too.

Coming too is a nice brake screen like TickTack has in CANary showing blend of regen + mechanical braking. The ELM327 has its limits so while the brake screen is active I can't collect cell pack data. But once you take your foot off the brake or come to a stop the other data (SOC,CP Voltage,CAP,Temp) will be updated.

Version 0.07 will have the setup screen so you can change the fixed AHr used to calculate % Capacity. For those with really good packs or 2013 or later Leafs you can adjust original AHr so you don't get a value over 100% with a new pack. Or you can disable showing percent capacity (just for you GregH).

So I have a very large backlog of functions to add which is why the version number is so low.

And where are the reports of OBDII version ID strings? I see only one posting.

Here's a plot (from a PC) of just the min/max/avg CP voltage taken at one minute intervals during a few charge cycles and a short drive.

Should be able to show something like this in the app.

maxavgmin.jpg

Here are the Fusion 2 specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_fusion_2_u8665-5020.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and some How-To for the Fusion 2 (U8665) :
http://www.att.com/devicehowto/search.jsp?autoCorrectFlag=true&autoSuggestFlag=NA&searchText=fusion%202&autoscroll=true&search=&chngDevSrchWeb=true&_requestid=18218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Specs include:
WiFi, Bluetooth, 320 wide by 480 high touch screen.
800 mHz, etc.
It even has GPS, which we could use in this app.

With the microphone, maybe we could handle simple voice commands?

With the spesker, we can have a screen setting up warning thresholds.

Hey, you are stepping on the Brake and Accelerator at the same time! :D

6 ways to take android screen shots

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-to-take-screenshots-on-android/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another good spot for deals is craigslist (find phones with bad ESN's in your area, or find used prepaid phones). Here are a few examples in my area:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mob/3758164766.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mob/3757819542.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just bring some 'company' if you plan to meet for a Detroit transaction. ;)

I can donate a web hosting account for this project if any future development leads in such a direction as to require it (apache/php/mysql/cpanel). If not, no worries, just want to help however I can.

Version 0.07 is now available on first post.

* Menu screen support
----Select OBDII
----Settings
----About (who I am and how to reach me)
----Exit (Kills program, otherwise it will still be running in the background)
* Settings Menu
----Stay Awake (disable screen timeout) try with this off first.
----Show % Capacity - You can disable showing % Capacity
----Set Max AHr used for 100% Capacity calculation
----Restore Default Max AHr value
----Enable CP Logging - Log voltages/Temp/AHr/DateTime/GPS Location
----Set logging interval (1,2,3,4,5,10,15,20,30,60 minutes)
----Force Log - Force single log entry (Enable CP Logging does not need to checked)
----Enable GPS - Current GPS location (Long,Lat,Elv,Speed) saved in log file
----Feet/MPH - Display elevation/speed in Feet/MPH (default from GPS is meter & meter/sec)

Setting are saved in private location

Log file saved in /LEAF_BT_CAN folder. File name is BatLog.txt. Format is csv with a Title line as first entry. Just open an excel file and use the Import Text file option. Select "Text" for second column or it will for some reason think it is a time value.

SOC now displayed in large easy to read font.

for my LG, screenshots are taken when pressing the up and down volume keys simultaneously and selecting the disk icon to save the capture.

v 0.7 running

Anyone have this app running on Jelly Bean? I just went from CM9 to CM10 (and in doing so also upgraded to v0.06), and I could no longer connect.

Not sure if this is due to a code change or due to Android upgrade. I'm going to try reverting to original version and see if that works.

braineo said:
Downloaded and running without a hitch (and without bluetooth) on my LG Optimus Elite Virgin Mobile android phone.
Waiting for my cheap ELM327 clone to arrive from Amazon by tomorrow.
I am real tempted to jump into this. Without reading everything in this thread, my understanding from garygid's posts is that the the quality of the Bluetooth module is hit or miss, so you might need to buy several units before you get one that is reliable, but the cost of each is low.

My question here is about the Android phone listed above. I see it on Amazon for about $73 which sounds very reasonable, and it looks like I can use it for this dedicated application without any data plan or hacking. Anyone have any cautions before I order this phone?

Which phone listed above,the Fusion 2?
Some others apparently do not have GPS capability.

------
Recently, my clone ELM327 has been working well.

I have ordered another model that has a body about
twice as long, and a third that has a body about 3
times as long, both from different Amazon vendors.

------
Lots of good features on v7, I will get it now, run it
on the Vizio Android tablet, and really test it tomorrow.

Splendid work!

An Android app called GPS Test seems to work well to check
that your GPS is receiving properly before starting LEAF Battery v7.

It appears that v7 cannot (or does not) turn ON the GPS, or turn
it OFF at the exit (if it turned it on).

The turn ON /OFF of Bluetooth seems to work quite well.

I forced some logs, so I will have to try to view it, first as text,
and then (renamed) as a csv file.

Apparently the Force Log does not work unless you
are bluetooth connected (and perhaps getting data).
There was no battlog.txt file.

It would be nice if it worked even when the BT
is off, just leaving the unavailable entries empty
(it is just a comma in the record). That would make
it easier to test, and useful just as a tracker.

GPS - Android does not allow any app to turn GPS ON. The user must be the one to do that for security reasons. If you don't have GPS ON then the best any app can do is bring up the system screen for the user to manually enable it. So v0.07 is working as designed.

Logging - Logging is done to collect Leaf data. So no Leaf data then no logging. The interval time and the force button only set a flag that allows the next data from the car to be logged. Don't want to fill up what may be a limited storage space with entries that have no Leaf data. Again, v0.07 is working as designed. You will just have to wait until you run it with the car to see all the data that is saved. There are 119 columns although a few are placeholders for items that may never be available from the CAR-CAN. But just in case I have left space for them (like gids).

Amazing app features!

would it be possible to decrease the time scale while logging? Something around the every 10 or six seconds would make it perfect!

congrats!

PS: it runs perfectly on my Galaxy Nexus with the CM10.1 M3 rom. (android Jelly Bean 4.2.2)

I've downgraded to the previous versions and have confirmed none of the releases so far will connect to OBDII if they are running under Android 4.2.2. Anyone else have this issue? I was able to connect to the OBDII with Torque with Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), so I don't think it's my ROM. No problems while I was running CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

I've ordered my bluetooth adapter that was mentioned by davewill in an earlier post. Once I have that, I'll test this using my Kindle Fire tablet HD. This is some great work you're doing, Turbo3.

Back