Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3,
Thanks for the n1 update. Looks like the GID issue is cleared up for my 2013 and the connection issues I had before are also fixed. Thanks for the great application. Really glad you found real GIDs! Can't wait for other future improvements. Perhaps temperature adjusted DTE? ;)

bradbissell said:
Turbo3,
Can't wait for other future improvements. Perhaps temperature adjusted DTE? ;)

Adjust the miles/kWh and you will get the appropriate DTE prediction. Not sure what could be done to implement 'temperature adjustment'. There are so any factors, speed, temp, hills, a/c or heat, battery/ambient temp etc. Miles/kWh is the way to tell the app the efficiency you anticipate on your next jaunt. In the winter reduce it by the appropriate amount that matches your climate and driving style/habits.

Same behavior with 0.25n, as with 0.25m...

The car is in "ready" mode. It gets about a minute or two of successful scans, then all the transmit and receive LEDs on the BAFX stop blinking and it goes into "Retry Leaf 23", forever.

JPWhite said:
bradbissell said:
Turbo3,
Can't wait for other future improvements. Perhaps temperature adjusted DTE? ;)

Adjust the miles/kWh and you will get the appropriate DTE prediction. Not sure what could be done to implement 'temperature adjustment'. There are so any factors, speed, temp, hills, a/c or heat, battery/ambient temp etc. Miles/kWh is the way to tell the app the efficiency you anticipate on your next jaunt. In the winter reduce it by the appropriate amount that matches your climate and driving style/habits.

Yes, there are many factors to determine range. The good news is that we know exactly what those factors are. The amount of stored energy is mostly accurate from GIDs, but the temperature adjustment that I specified a long time ago (and reiterated many posts up) is yet another piece of the puzzle that we now have control over (thanks to Jim finding battery temperature reports from the LEAF).

This is NOT a winter / summer thing exclusively. The temperature of the battery can change radically with DC quick charging. Desert areas can have wide swings of coldest to hottest in a single day. Driving up a mountain from a hot desert can significantly change the battery temp. Also, if this temperature compensation is implemented in the app, it would be largely transparent to you, the end user.

You just put in your anticipated economy for your future driving, and that will be multiplied by the remaining USEABLE stored energy in the battery. That energy is a factor of GIDs and temperature. You, the end user, still get to decide your economy. Obviously, you have little control over USEABLE stored energy.

The next thing I might add after temperature adjustment for range calculations is a manual elevation adjustment. The default would be zero elevation difference, but if you're driving up a mountain at 65 mph, you would be able to still use 4 miles per kWh as your default economy (because that's what you're used to), but when driving up a 6000 feet elevation gain (yes, we actually have those in California, even in San Diego), you could input the known gain to get 6 * 1.5kWh per 1000 feet gain = 9kWh deducted from your baseline stored energy.

Now, your DTE will correctly show the remaining range when you get to the mountain top at 65mph, even adjusted for temperature.

Turbo3 said:
If the first byte is less than 0x10 then it is the number of valid data bytes following the first byte. Since a message has a max of 8 bytes in a frame this count can never be greater than seven.

The first byte follows the industry spec if you want more details on other values for the first byte.
Industry spec? What is this industry spec called? Do you have a link?
Interesting that the Gids shows up 8x on the 2013 (or is it just shifted left 3 bits.. I'll double check)
Do you have a document listing all of these parameters? What is the Nissan name for "Gids" ?

surfingslovak said:
GregH said:
What is the Nissan name for "Gids" ?
It's believed to be called "level" in Nissan vernacular.
Correct, actual name seems to be "HV Battery Level" and is displayed as Wh.

Attached is the ISO 15765-2 spec. Look at page 6 for the first byte definition.

This is a .pdf file but the system will not allow attachment of PDF files so I renamed it to .zip. So just download and rename to .pdf.

Attachments

• ISO 15765-2 .zip
    123.8 KB · Views: 13
Weatherman said:
Same behavior with 0.25n, as with 0.25m...

The car is in "ready" mode. It gets about a minute or two of successful scans, then all the transmit and receive LEDs on the BAFX stop blinking and it goes into "Retry Leaf 23", forever.
I would like to try to isolate this problem by making you a custom version with either the option or hardcored that disables reading the CP voltages (step 23). If that version runs without a problem then I can focus on the CP voltage code.

I have something else I need to work on today so it might be a day or two before I get it ready.

If you can run it a few more times and just confirm that it always hangs on 23 that would help. If it fails on other multi frame requests but at a lower rate that would also tell me something.

Turbo3 said:
If you can run it a few more times and just confirm that it always hangs on 23 that would help. If it fails on other multi frame requests but at a lower rate that would also tell me something.

I'll continue to play with it. So far, the results have been very consistent, always stopping on 23 after a minute or two.

Turbo3 said:
So you are saying the App shows 40 when you switch to show psi? If so then for now I could just always show psi independent of units selected.

The raw data would be just 4x whatever psi is displayed.

Sorry for the delay in my response.

Yes, when I was in imperial mode, I could read PSI, (even though my leaf is in metric) it updated live, and with hot tires, they go to 40. cold tires are 38
Thanks for allowing it to be available on metric mode.

Turbo3 said:
surfingslovak said:
GregH said:
It's believed to be called "level" in Nissan vernacular.
Correct, actual name seems to be "HV Battery Level" and is displayed as Wh.

Attached is the ISO 15765-2 spec. Look at page 6 for the first byte definition.

This is a .pdf file but the system will not allow attachment of PDF files so I renamed it to .zip. So just download and rename to .pdf.

Cool! Thanks.

You are moving too fast! Downloaded 25k on Saturday and it worked flawlessly the past two days. Will get 25n1 today to use on a 150 mile round trip.

Edit: corrected the version number that was working.
Turbo3 said:
GregH said:
Correct, actual name seems to be "HV Battery Level" (Boring!) and is displayed as Wh.

Install 0.25n1 FS today, app connects, displays the correct number of Gids, but it never changes no matter how far I drive. Still shows as connected, some other values appear to be updated properly (e.g., temperature, tire pressure, % SOC). I think the cell voltages weren't changing either on most of the time.

Using same ELM that has been working flawlessley with 0.24

Verison 0.25n2 (-FS) is up for testing.

Features
- In addition to step number status message now displays frame number within step. Need to be in Landscape mode (or have a large screen) to see the second number. "Retry Leaf 15 00"
- Changed a couple of messages to make it clearer what the app is doing. "Connect 2 ELM" "Looking 4 ELM"
- Added "Help" button to "Look for Beta Version" menu to make it clearer how to request a passcode.
- On Settings Debug panel disabled the option to change the frame response delay since it is not currently functional.
- Version number now shows "n2" on the screen

If the app hangs for you please retest with this version and report the step and frame number(s) where it hangs. A lot of my problems are in detecting the end when all data has actually been correctly received so if frame number is always the last one this would indicate this type of problem.

Turbo3 said:
Yes, I know about that issue. The problem is variable font sizes and knowing how many pixels they take.

I have had that problem ever since I put the battery graphic in. I have code for it but it does not always work.

Go to System menu in settings and report what it lists in the lower right corner (two lines of graphic info).

Can't find it in my Galaxy...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-22-13-27-58[1].png
    Screenshot_2013-07-22-13-27-58[1].png
    82.8 KB · Views: 81
With the latest version, I got a halt in data transmit/receive on the following "Retry Leaf"s:

23 05
23 10
23 04
23 12

I've only tried these four times, so I don't know if there's any pattern to the sequence.

Each halt requires the app to to shut down and restarted to get data flowing again.

That's good information.

I will post a version 0.025n3 to dropbox which will allow us to see the frames received before the hang.

After installing n3 go to Settings/Debug panel and check the Enable box. Then select Cell Pairs to monitor.

Then go back and select screen 3. If you are not connected yet it will say "This is the log window." below the SOC value.

Let me know what you see when it hangs.

Back