Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ljwobker said:
This appears to be a beyond-awesome tool for those of us who are enthusiast detectives (we want to know how stuff works) but don't have the time or skills to do actual hardware or software.

The first post in the thread should have most of the basics.

Am I the only one finding the "simulated Gids" less than useful? Maybe a bunch of people are used to them or are nostalgic, but I'm really not seeing the point. OK, it makes sense if we're looking at a number directly from the car, but what's the point of simulating them?

The DTE is great. What I'd like to have now is an SOC% that is scaled better. In other words, it reads as close to 100% as possible when I charge to 100%, and as close to 0% as possible when you hit turtle.

P.S. It also seems like it's time for this to go into the Play Store.

davewill said:
The DTE is great. What I'd like to have now is an SOC% that is scaled better. In other words, it reads as close to 100% as possible when I charge to 100%, and as close to 0% as possible when you hit turtle.

I did suggest that with the DTE suggestion.

Filled up with electrons equals 100% and hitting Turtle was 0%. For folks who want "raw data" SOC%, maybe we could have another flip/flop button for both?

vrwl said:
Stoaty said:
... Left 1/3 is Screen 1, middle 1/3 is screen 2, right 1/3 is screen 3. As simple as possible.

So are those directions for portrait or landscape?

Tried Stoaty's instructions and success! I had no prior knowledge about the 1/3 screen taps, so now that I know this, yes, it works perfectly. Thanks Stoaty. :)

ljwobker said:
This appears to be a beyond-awesome tool for those of us who are enthusiast detectives (we want to know how stuff works) but don't have the time or skills to do actual hardware or software. I've skipped around in this thread and if it's not already available somewhere, would someone with more of the history be willing to write up a brief summary of where the project is that could be consumed by "the rest of us"? I'd think a skeleton outline of the major questions looks something like this:

1) what hardware is required, where can you obtain it, where does it connect to the vehicle, how "hard" is the actual connection, what skill(s) are required, are there any risks, etc? I'm assuming many people have parts of this already, but I'd like to end up with something that your "average" leaf owner could read quickly and determine if they're interested/qualified.

2) what are the high-level features of the software (meaning the app)... just a basic list of what info you can get and if there's anything major that you can't get that would be helpful too.
That is an excellent idea. I might take a stab at it this weekend. What you are saying is that the app needs a manual. Jim is busy working on the program, so the rest of us could pitch in and create something with rudimentary directions to get up and running.

I forgot to mention. It would also be spiffy if the Wh consumed number could persist until reset. I'm still getting the occasional crash, and I lose it each time. I would also switch to kWh at least after it passes 1000Wh.

0.19, I'm finding that the app's reported GIDs are 4-5 higher than what my LEAFcan is reporting.

ahagge said:
  • Could you change the color scheme to match that of the LEAF's dashboard (black, blue, white and red)? Perhaps use a black background with blue bars and white labeling (and red for shunts)? And white on black (or blue on black, if it's legible) for the text-only display? I think it would look more professional and coordinated when viewed in the car.
+1 on this recommendation for the "driving" screen, current colors can definitely use some improvement - basic white on black would be a good start.

Stoaty said:
That is an excellent idea. I might take a stab at it this weekend. What you are saying is that the app needs a manual. Jim is busy working on the program, so the rest of us could pitch in and create something with rudimentary directions to get up and running.
Yep, how about putting it on the wiki, then it's easy for others to contribute as well?

davewill said:
Am I the only one finding the "simulated Gids" less than useful? Maybe a bunch of people are used to them or are nostalgic, but I'm really not seeing the point. OK, it makes sense if we're looking at a number directly from the car, but what's the point of simulating them?
If you have significant loss of capacity, then %SOC becomes less than useful. 100 GIDS on a Leaf with 80% capacity will take you just as far as 100 GIDS on a Leaf with 100% capacity. That is what makes GIDs or GID% really useful. Simulated GIDs are the next best thing. Thanks Turbo3!

nogajim said:
If you have significant loss of capacity, then %SOC becomes less than useful. 100 GIDS on a Leaf with 80% capacity will take you just as far as 100 GIDS on a Leaf with 100% capacity. That is what makes GIDs or GID% really useful. Simulated GIDs are the next best thing. Thanks Turbo3!
I guess I just don't think that way. We already have the DTE and kWh remaining numbers which serve that purpose, in units that actually make sense. Oh well, no biggie.

davewill said:
nogajim said:
I guess I just don't think that way. We already have the DTE and kWh remaining numbers which serve that purpose, in units that actually make sense. Oh well, no biggie.
Yes, I thought so too. I agree with your rationale and believe that new users might prefer the kWh display and the DTE indicator over 'Gids or Gids (when available).

drees said:
Stoaty said:
What you are saying is that the app needs a manual. Jim is busy working on the program, so the rest of us could pitch in and create something with rudimentary directions to get up and running.
Yep, how about putting it on the wiki, then it's easy for others to contribute as well?
Yes, I was thinking about that. However, don't know if Jim wants to keep the manual with the app and whether he plans to charge for it (would certainly be well worth it) when he feels it has reached a 1.0 version.

Stoaty said:
... What you are saying is that the app needs a manual. Jim is busy working on the program, so the rest of us could pitch in and create something with rudimentary directions to get up and running.

Please, and TIA.

My first 2 questions:

1)

I can't seem to update from the drop-box.

Using Settings...look for updates...I select download and get "starting download" , then...?

Still showing V. 0.16 on "about".

2)

Sometimes it stays connected, and sometimes not, and sometimes it won't reconnect.

The recommended procedure to reconnect is?

For me, restarting the phone, or just reconnecting to BT seemed to aid reconnection, but those might have just been random occurrences.

Stoaty said:
Hi Stoaty,

While you are at it, may I suggest you a wiki style? So that anyone can update it since this app is moving so fast. Thanks!

Version 0.19t is now in DropBox

* Screen 3 changed to white on black
* Settings %Cap changed to Battery and now lets you adjust the cell voltage used for Gids/kWh.

leafbat019ta.png

edatoakrun said:
I can't seem to update from the drop-box.

Using Settings...look for updates...I select download and get "starting download" , then...?

Still showing V. 0.16 on "about".
Once you start the download you need to press the back key until you return to the app then exit the app.

Then you need to pull down the top status window where you should see the message that the apk has been downloaded.

Then you need to tap on that message to install the apk.

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.19t is now in DropBox

* Screen 3 changed to white on black
* Settings %Cap changed to Battery and now lets you adjust the cell voltage used for Gids/kWh.
batteryproblemmnl

Great to see, thank you! One small nit: could we change the label to Nominal Cell Voltage or Nom. Cell Voltage?

Turbo3 said:
ralphmc said:
1. The column SOC, AHr are collecting the data without "." decimal point so it shows up as 73145 and 592958,
2. Also the AHr in my case is consistently the same value - during the charging and during driving down to 68+ % SOC, is that correct?

3. the other problem - maybe me - or my Nexus 7 tablet is that the app crashes randomly on my 45 minute drive to work it crashed about 30 times - is that suppose to be that way? ;-)

RAlph
1. That is the raw data from the car. So working as designed.
2. Yes that is correct it is not how much energy you have but how much the Leaf thinks you could put in the battery. It is like the size of the gas tank not how much is currently in it.
3. I have a Nexus 7 and will test it out on a drive when I have time. Do you get any type of message on the screen when it crashes?
RAlph can you please install version 0.19t from my DropBox on to your Nexus 7 and see if it works any better. I have added code to catch conversion errors from string to hex which I think might be the probelm.

I have added a new "Bad Hex" counter to the Statistics panel in Settings. Have a look at that counter to see if it increments. If the catch code works then instead of crashing it should just dump the bad data and increment the counter.

Turbo3 said:
Best I can do. Limited space on small screen in portrait mode.
Thank you for considering this. Another possibility to list pack attributes only, and change the voltage to 357.12. The label could read Nom. Voltage. Multiplying the voltage and Ah would yield total pack capacity. This would mean that there is no need to use the multiplier of 96 in the formula to calculate pack voltage. It's all implied in the values listed.

Stoaty said:
All you have to do is tap at the top of the screen (which varies depending on whether it is portrait or landscape). Left 1/3 is Screen 1, middle 1/3 is screen 2, right 1/3 is screen 3. As simple as possible.
Indeed, but it is unlike any Android app I have used in 3+ years of owning a smartphone. I never figured out how to switch screens on this app until I saw your post.

Usually you'd just swipe left or right to change screens. Often there are a few dots to tell you where you are.

Back