Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update to Version 0.23t.

Features
* Screen 1 zoom in/out. Tap on top 50% of graph to zoom out. Tap on bottom 50% to zoom in. Stops at max zoom in or max zoom out. There is no wrap.

(Once I learn how to detect gestures I will switch this over to the standard two finger ones for zoom)

Turbo3 said:

Features
* Screen 1 zoom in/out. Tap on top 50% of graph to zoom out. Tap on bottom 50% to zoom in. Stops at max zoom in or max zoom out. There is no wrap.

(Once I learn how to detect gestures I will switch this over to the standard two finger ones for zoom)
Love the zoom! 50 mV is great watching it charge, I'll see if I like more range while driving.

It rebooted on update with the DROID4 again. This never happened until the last 5 updates.

garygid said:
Strange, looking at your shunted cells, if you use 1,2,4,8 bit order instead of
the current 8,4,2,1 bit order, almost all the On cells are high-voltage cells, right?

Perhaps we should try the other bit order, please?
Just updated version 0.23t to swap the bit ordering for Shunts. It does look better to me with peak voltages red now.

nogajim said:
Turbo3 said:

Features

Love the zoom! 50 mV is great watching it charge, I'll see if I like more range while driving.

It rebooted on update with the DROID4 again. This never happened until the last 5 updates.
Did you exit the app before trying to update? It is ok to download the new version from within the app but you should always exit the app before an upgrade (not just switch away). The service routine might crash your system if not shut down correctly by exiting the app.

Yogi62 said:
Stoaty said:
sorphin said:
So.. I did a full charge last night, did some work on the leaf this afternoon, then plugged in the elm, to see how i looked... As you can see... the dash and the output from the app are quite a bit far apart.. (this is under .21 btw..)
My understanding is that the Leaf Battery App shows true SOC, which should be around 95% when fully charged. The SOC on the Leaf will always show 100% when fully charged, it doesn't count the 5% reserve at the top.

On a 2013 SV, I charged to 100% dash reading saw 97.0% in the app, 4.122V, 21.7 kWh (930 miles on the car. Sorphin, your reading of 23.5 kWh is amazing to me. It would be interesting to see that reading several times over the next 1000 miles.

@Yogi62 If you look in the other thread (that they moved my post to), You'll see once again I have a reading of 23.5kWh after a 100% charge (with a 'real' SOC of 97%)

Turbo3 said:
nogajim said:
Turbo3 said:

Features

Did you exit the app before trying to update? It is ok to download the new version from within the app but you should always exit the app before an upgrade (not just switch away). The service routine might crash your system if not shut down correctly by exiting the app.

Yes, I exited by exit button or back twice until I no longer saw the service icon at the top. I guess most of these instances, I was using the update button to find the download, but did not install without exiting, or thinking I had. :oops:

This voltage chart got me thinking. Why don't I see any short bars? The minimum voltge was 2.692 volts and the maximum was 2.999 volts so there should be lots of short bars. Instead all I see are max bars.

When I original wrote the code I would get bad data which would really mess up the auto scaling graph. So I put in code to limit the range of valid values. The valid range was 3.0 to 4.4 volts. If a value outside the range was going to be graphed it was changed to 4.0 volts.

Since all the voltages are below 3.0 all 96 values have been changed to 4.0 which is what is shown.

Since we now have fixed ranges I can now remove this code. The release version 0.24 will have this change.

1069j2H

Questions for Jim (Turbo3).

Running app version 23.

1. Do you know that the 3rd temp shows up as "??" for a 2013 Leaf?
Does the 2013 only have 3 battery module temps?
The same app shows all 4 temps when looking at a 2012.

2. What does it mean when cell-pairs go red?
I looked in the Wiki Battery App Manual and nothing there yet on this.

Thanks,

jbrad4 said:

Running app version 23.

Thanks,
1. Someone with a 2013 will have to answer that one. As far as I know all Leafs have 4 temp sensors.

2. Red indicates that the shunt that bleeds off energy to balance the cell pair is active. However, versions 0.23 and lower all use the wrong bit assignment so they are highlighting the wrong cell. Tomorrows version 0.24 will fix that problem.

Initial thoughts about 0.23t: fantastic!!! Love the new temperature bar graph, it is exactly what I envisioned (well, actually better than I envisioned, since I had only a rough idea).

Only two small nits on the settings screen:

--the logging interval button needs to be smaller, as it runs right up to the text on its left
--the gray buttons that allow you to set a value are all gray on the lower half. Perhaps this is supposed to be shading, but it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to me at all. I vote to revert to the one tone gray buttons.

I have a 2013 and See the "??" on my '3rd sensor'.

Turbo3 said:
jbrad4 said:

Running app version 23.

Thanks,
1. Someone with a 2013 will have to answer that one. As far as I know all Leafs have 4 temp sensors.

2. Red indicates that the shunt that bleeds off energy to balance the cell pair is active. However, versions 0.23 and lower all use the wrong bit assignment so they are highlighting the wrong cell. Tomorrows version 0.24 will fix that problem.

A couple of other small items:

--the logging appears to be inactive while you are in the settings screen (? by design). When I was in the settings screen for a couple of minutes, left the settings screen, then went back about 15 seconds later the #Log entries increased by only 3. If it was logging while I was in the settings screen, it should have gone up another 10-20.
--Is there a way to clear the log file? Seems like there should be a button to do so.
--I think a better default for the color of <=86 degrees would be a lighter shade of yellow; suggest RGB 200,200,0 (what I set mine to, looks better with default screen color for screen 3

The shunts look better than before, but still not correct. Several of the highest cell pairs weren't being shunted (car in ready, not driving), while some that were average or a little below average were being shunted. Of course, since I don't know exactly how the shunting works, could be correct now, but still looks wrong

Ran 0.23t today and woohoo! I love the new voltage graph. Super useful. Still would like to highlight the bar that was most recently updated, so I know that ones to the right of that one are out of date in the current snapshot on screen. Minor thing. It still works great. No particular utility to it all other than just watching performance - but isn't that what this is all about? ;)

I do run into a few odd quirks though... my phone's been unstable and buggy as all hell the past few days and it's driving me mad. But compounding the problem is the fact that the app runs in the background and, thanks to Android, I can't tell if it's running or not. Since it's a pretty foreground-facing utility, I'd hope that whenever it's not on the screen, it's *not* trying to use Bluetooth or acquire/log any data. I notice that there's a notification that appears when the app is in the background though. If I hit home or back, I'd hope it exits immediately and stops recording data (it can't put it up on the screen, so why would I want it active?). Having it fully disconnect and shut down when it's backgrounded would be useful. Maybe it could only stay running in the background - with that notification saying "logging active" - if I actually have logging active (I don't, since I don't know what other use this data would serve me).

Second, Bluetooth was a bit weird earlier as well - I actually had to re-pair the OBDII device to get it to work again after using it for a while, exiting, then trying to go back to it. I think maybe the OS held the connection open or failed to connect, but the exact error didn't pass through the app in order to notify me what the error was. It just stayed red, while everything was online (and I was on the road). While I was stopped, I re-paired the thing and it came up fine. Bluetooth itself was working since I was playing music at the same time - and it doesn't usually have trouble using two BT devices at once.

It's cool slowing down (regen) and seeing the SOC % creep up 2 or 3 tenths of a percent ;) Not so cool taking off and seeing it drop 3 or 4 tenths though... :lol:

Stoaty said:
--the logging interval button needs to be smaller, as it runs right up to the text on its left
--the gray buttons that allow you to set a value are all gray on the lower half. Perhaps this is supposed to be shading, but it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to me at all. I vote to revert to the one tone gray buttons.
-- Moved the spinner to the right a little
-- The shading depends on the Andriod device. My Nexus 7 and Event are all gray. My Fusion 2 has light gray on top half and bottom half is darker gray. I have no control over that.

Stoaty said:
A couple of other small items:

--the logging appears to be inactive while you are in the settings screen (? by design). When I was in the settings screen for a couple of minutes, left the settings screen, then went back about 15 seconds later the #Log entries increased by only 3. If it was logging while I was in the settings screen, it should have gone up another 10-20.
--Is there a way to clear the log file? Seems like there should be a button to do so.
--I think a better default for the color of <=86 degrees would be a lighter shade of yellow; suggest RGB 200,200,0 (what I set mine to, looks better with default screen color for screen 3

The shunts look better than before, but still not correct. Several of the highest cell pairs weren't being shunted (car in ready, not driving), while some that were average or a little below average were being shunted. Of course, since I don't know exactly how the shunting works, could be correct now, but still looks wrong
Yes, the logging is inactive while the settings screen is up. Only one activity is active at a time so the system stops the one that controls logging and start up the Settings activity. It is not by my design it is just the way it works.

No way to clear the log file from inside the app. This is by design. The log file is small. If you want to clear it use a file manager or delete when you access from the PC.

I like your yellow. It is now the system default. But you will need to hold down the "Reset Temperature Colors" button for a second or so to load the new defaults then exit program to lock them in.

FalconFour said:
Second, Bluetooth was a bit weird earlier as well - I actually had to re-pair the OBDII device to get it to work again after using it for a while, exiting, then trying to go back to it. I think maybe the OS held the connection open or failed to connect, but the exact error didn't pass through the app in order to notify me what the error was. It just stayed red, while everything was online (and I was on the road). While I was stopped, I re-paired the thing and it came up fine. Bluetooth itself was working since I was playing music at the same time - and it doesn't usually have trouble using two BT devices at once.

It's cool slowing down (regen) and seeing the SOC % creep up 2 or 3 tenths of a percent ;) Not so cool taking off and seeing it drop 3 or 4 tenths though... :lol:
I have had the same problem. I find it best to keep Bluetooth off and let the app start it up and shut it down on exit. That seems to clear up the Red not connected problem. Turning Bluetooth off clears up any bad connections that might exist.

Back