Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of possible buglets in settings screen:

--the selected item under "Screen" (area in settings with green background) is not remembered when you exit the settings screen and go back to the settings screen
--if you select a radio button in "Screen" while you are in landscape orientation (say one of the temperature buttons), then change the phone to portrait orientation the selected radio button is reset to "Background" above the pick button; would expect that the orientation of the screen would not affect what button is selected

Feature improvement (if possible) - I would expect when trying to set a color in the Settings while the phone is in landscape orientation that instead of giving a message the appropriate color picker would come in portrait mode; would save a step for the user

Turbo3 said:
jbrad4 said:
Running 23t now.

Temp sensor 3 for my 2013 does not show up on Screen one nor on screen 2 after I tap it to show the temp sensors.
Are you saying it was there before 23t or you have never seen it?

Never seen temp sensor 3 on my 2013. Only saw all 4 sensors when I was connected to a 2012 using same Bluetooth obdii adapter, phone , and app. I was using app v019 at the time.

I was wondering if the Android can support two OBD II modules, with each one connected to a different CAN buss. I realize the BT modules need different MAC addresses. My apologies if this has been discussed before but searching for dual bluetooth came up empty.

Notes on the latest 0.23t just some minor nits and issues I've seen with the app:

1. Page 1: The max/min diff in parens should use a capital V for mV - I would toss a space in between, too: (XX mV)
2. Page 1: Around the = signs, I think it'd look cleaner with spaces on the left as well. I would remove the space before the % signs.
3. Setup page: In portrait and landscape mode, the label for Show % capacity overlaps Nom Voltage.
4. Setup page: Part of the >105* scrolls off the side in portrait mode.
5. Setup page: Lots of black space below debug.
6. Setup page: I'd like to see text inputs for % SOC Reserved, kWh Reserved instead of a drop-down select.
7. Often I'll try to exit, but it doesn't quite do it and it'll stay in the app. Seems more likely to happen when I use the "back" button instead of the menu option to exit.
8. Page 2: Instead of "Max Diff XX mVolts" at the top, I would just put it in the same spot as Page 1, but that's just me aiming to always be consistent when possible.

0.23t red shunting appears to make more sense than it did before.
0.23t in portrait mode Page 1 bars look much better.

Nice work!

Congrats to everyone who worked to make the app possible!! I downloaded the 0.23 app this evening and had it working with my new scanner in less than 5 minutes.

I ordered the recommended Vgate ELM327 mini ODB Scanner from Amazon. It was only $12!!
This is an awesome addition to my car and will compliment my self-built Gid-o-Meter.

Thanks again!! :D

drees said:
Notes on the latest 0.23t just some minor nits and issues I've seen with the app:

1. Page 1: The max/min diff in parens should use a capital V for mV - I would toss a space in between, too: (XX mV)
2. Page 1: Around the = signs, I think it'd look cleaner with spaces on the left as well. I would remove the space before the % signs.
3. Setup page: In portrait and landscape mode, the label for Show % capacity overlaps Nom Voltage.
4. Setup page: Part of the >105* scrolls off the side in portrait mode.
5. Setup page: Lots of black space below debug.
6. Setup page: I'd like to see text inputs for % SOC Reserved, kWh Reserved instead of a drop-down select.
7. Often I'll try to exit, but it doesn't quite do it and it'll stay in the app. Seems more likely to happen when I use the "back" button instead of the menu option to exit.
8. Page 2: Instead of "Max Diff XX mVolts" at the top, I would just put it in the same spot as Page 1, but that's just me aiming to always be consistent when possible.
Thanks for your suggestions.
1. Done
2. Done
3. Don't see that on Fusion 2, Event or Nexus 7. Can you provide screenshot? What phone is it?
4. That is by design. Larger screens can see and change max temp color. Smaller ones can not.
5. This is by design so text can be entered when a keyboard takes up the lower part of the display. Otherwise the keyboard would be on top of the entry field. This is only a problem on some phones. Or do you just want another color other than Black? What color?
6. %SOC selection goes from 2% to 25%. You need to reserve more than that?
7. Yes, I have that problem too sometimes. Usually the Exit button works if back does not. It would need to happen when I am connected to the PC so I can see where it is getting stuck. It has to shutdown GPS, save setting and data, turn off Bluetooth if it was off to start with and a few other things. Do you have Bluetooth on or off before you start up the app?
8. Done

Stoaty said:
Couple of possible buglets in settings screen:

--the selected item under "Screen" (area in settings with green background) is not remembered when you exit the settings screen and go back to the settings screen
--if you select a radio button in "Screen" while you are in landscape orientation (say one of the temperature buttons), then change the phone to portrait orientation the selected radio button is reset to "Background" above the pick button; would expect that the orientation of the screen would not affect what button is selected

Feature improvement (if possible) - I would expect when trying to set a color in the Settings while the phone is in landscape orientation that instead of giving a message the appropriate color picker would come in portrait mode; would save a step for the user
First two items are fixed. Last one can not be. The color selector is from a common library so it is not my code. If someone would like to write one that works in both orientations I will use it. Just do a search for Basic4Android color selector.

With this change it is now possible for the max temp color to be changed on any device. Change orientation to Landscape, select max color then rotate to use the color selector.

Turbo3 said:
Thanks for your suggestions.
Thanks for taking them under consideration!
Turbo3 said:
3. Don't see that on Fusion 2, Event or Nexus 7. Can you provide screenshot? What phone is it?
Samsung SIII, screen resolution is 1280x720.

Turbo3 said:
4. That is by design. Larger screens can see and change max temp color. Smaller ones can not.
OK. Would be nice if it scaled down for portrait mode, IMO, so it doesn't look chopped off - it appears that there is plenty of room.

Turbo3 said:
5. This is by design so text can be entered when a keyboard takes up the lower part of the display. Otherwise the keyboard would be on top of the entry field. This is only a problem on some phones.
That makes sense, but it's not intuitive. I don't recall seeing any other application reserve space like that before.... Usually what I see is that when the keyboard pops up, the "bottom" of the content is able to be scrolled to the top of the keyboard so nothing is hidden (check a web form in the browser, for example).
Turbo3 said:
6. %SOC selection goes from 2% to 25%. You need to reserve more than that?
No, that's plenty. I admit that I didn't check the range in this last version and assumed that it was still limited to 10% as in earlier versions.
Turbo3 said:
7. Yes, I have that problem too sometimes. Usually the Exit button works if back does not. It would need to happen when I am connected to the PC so I can see where it is getting stuck. It has to shutdown GPS, save setting and data, turn off Bluetooth if it was off to start with and a few other things. Do you have Bluetooth on or off before you start up the app?
Always have BT on.

Thanks again!

nogajim said:
Turbo3 said:
nogajim said:
It rebooted on update with the DROID4 again. This never happened until the last 5 updates.
Did you exit the app before trying to update? It is ok to download the new version from within the app but you should always exit the app before an upgrade (not just switch away). The service routine might crash your system if not shut down correctly by exiting the app.

Yes, I exited by exit button or back twice until I no longer saw the service icon at the top. I guess most of these instances, I was using the update button to find the download, but did not install without exiting, or thinking I had. :oops:
This time I went to "Manage Apps" it did not appear on the Running list, but I went to "All" hit Force Quit and it installed and opened like a charm. Next time I will try swiping it off the list of previously used apps.

Can only find one very minor cosmetic issue in latest 0.23t:

--on screen 1 when in landscape the "g" in Range on the Y-axis overlaps one of the numbers on the Y-axis. Suggest moving the whole graph very slightly to the right

Turbo3 said:
Refresh of 23t with these and other fixes for bugs I found is now up on DropBox
Thanks for putting it in the DropBox that the app accesses for updates.
It is much more convenient to update the app using the app, instead
of having to find the right post in this too-long thread. Thanks.

Suggestion:
If you want to keep the development / experimental versions in one
dropbox, and the release versions in another, to keep the casual user
away from the experiments, you could put a "Get Test Updates" button
at the right end of the Debug section, that would access the experimental
dropbox, then one would need to intentionally get one of the test
versions, but it would still be easy to do.

Also, I see that you are using different letters, like v23a, b, c, etc. to
distinguish between different test versions of v23... good idea, so
that we can report which test version revision that we are commenting
about.

Cheers, Gary

1. You could use the word Scale instead of Range to avoid the
minor problem with the decender of the "g".

But, very nice to show the chosen scale there!
Would be nice above the histogram as well.

2. With the Default data (62 mV range) is used, and the 50 mV
scale is selected, the lowest bar goes below the base of the graph,
and the highest goes all the way to the top of the screen, again
out of the graph area.

In contrast, the histogram adapts its axis to show the data,
but that adaptation is not used in the CP Bars chart.
Intentional design to not adapt both the same, or an oversight?

3. Less important, is there any way,
once you have used the app, and gotten "real" data,
to get back to the test data?

Stoaty, there is a third modification to the ELM that should be added to your WIKI. It's how to install a sliding switch (DPDT) so removing the ELM isn't necessary. Maybe Gary will post the directions again or give you the link to his previous post. Thanks!

Updated to 0.23t and on the temp graph, sensor 1 and 4 are missing (I have a 2013 Leaf with the '??' for the 3rd sensor). Not sure why 1 and 4 are missing data on the graph. I would of assumed the 3rd sensor would be missing.

Couple of pretty minor issues:

--is there a way to keep the settings screen on at about the same place when you switch from landscape to portrait orientation (or vice versa)? As it is, when you are setting the colors, realize you have to be in portrait orientation and make the change, the scroll bar goes back to the top so you are looking at units and have to scroll down again.

--the button which is selected in the "colors" section of the settings screen is not persistent after restarting the application. I would expect it to be.

With some coaching from 91040, I am now happily using the Elm as my main Gid meter. Sorry I was too clueless to see the very nice highly legible driving screen with color-coded battery temperature.

A thin foam pad I bought at Michaels is working well to keep the Kocera phone from slipping from its spot down near the usb port on the car. I find this location less distracting than one nearer the window.

Problem: Currently there is no easy way to see how the color temperatures will look with the background you have set for Screen 3 (short of freezing or frying your battery pack and then checking the color).

Suggestion: if one of the color temperature buttons is selected, change the "Sample" text (right below the "Hide Progress Bar" checkbox) to instead show a sample temperature in the selected color. For example, if the "<=95 degrees" button is selected, show the default light blue background with the "sample" text replaced with "95 degrees" in orange (or whatever color you have selected for "<=95 degrees"). That way you can easily preview your choices without leaving the settings screen.

Back