Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the new status messages. Makes it a lot easier to tell what part of the connection process it going on.

Couple of other buglets in latest 0.25-FS:

--when Leaf is turned off and app is still on, it takes the app about 2 minutes to realize that it is waiting for Leaf data. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but it seems on the long side

--If the app is started when you are away from the Leaf, then you go to the Leaf (ELM already plugged in), the app says Waiting for Leaf data (correct). However, when you put the Leaf in Ready mode, the app never realizes there is data (waited several minutes). Had to restart the app to get to the "Connected" stage.

--you can't invoke "Freeze Screen" while you are at the "Waiting for ELM" stage (e.g., away from the Leaf). Somewhat annoying message keeps flashing on the screen

Stoaty said:
Stoaty said:
New version 0.25-FS (refresh 2 minutes ago) now gives message "Waiting 4 BT..." indefinitely. This is with Bluetooth enabled before starting the app.
Edit: appears to work correctly now if Bluetooth is disabled before starting the app. The problem occurs if Bluetooth was already enabled before starting
Ok, I think I have fixed all combinations now. Give it a try.

Stoaty said:
I really like the new status messages. Makes it a lot easier to tell what part of the connection process it going on.

Couple of other buglets in latest 0.25-FS:

--when Leaf is turned off and app is still on, it takes the app about 2 minutes to realize that it is waiting for Leaf data. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but it seems on the long side

--If the app is started when you are away from the Leaf, then you go to the Leaf (ELM already plugged in), the app says Waiting for Leaf data (correct). However, when you put the Leaf in Ready mode, the app never realizes there is data (waited several minutes). Had to restart the app to get to the "Connected" stage.

--you can't invoke "Freeze Screen" while you are at the "Waiting for ELM" stage (e.g., away from the Leaf). Somewhat annoying message keeps flashing on the screen
The timeout on loss of Bluetooth is controlled by android so not under my control. App just gets a message link is down.

I don't think there is any message change. It just changes color every few seconds to let you know it is still trying to connect. If you just want to look at the saved data start with Bluetooth off then you will be in Offline mode.

The other item will need to wait until I get back in a couple weeks.

Turbo3 said:
Stoaty said:
Stoaty said:
New version 0.25-FS (refresh 2 minutes ago) now gives message "Waiting 4 BT..." indefinitely. This is with Bluetooth enabled before starting the app.
Edit: appears to work correctly now if Bluetooth is disabled before starting the app. The problem occurs if Bluetooth was already enabled before starting
Ok, I think I have fixed all combinations now. Give it a try.
Yes, fixed here. Thanks. Will check back in a couple of weeks.

Turbo3 said:
Messages are now "Waiting 4 BT..." => "Waiting 4 ELM" => "Service Start" => " Waiting 4 Leaf" => "Connected"

There is also "Offline" if you have disabled BT and do not enable at app start and "Select OBDII" if this is the first time the app has tried to connect to an ELM.

This message flow should probably go in the Wiki page.
Added to Wiki.

It is difficult to know which of the several "released" versions of v25 that anybody has.

If a version goes out the door, it should have an identity on each screen,
so that any screenshot would clearly identify the software variant.
That makes it much easier to help someone over the phone, or
in person.

Now, there is no way, other than downloading and installing again
(which is not trivial for some computer-beginner folks),
to "know" what version the user is having trouble with.

Although the Beta versions are fairly well identified, there are still
several variations of a few of them, but generally the added letter
helps a lot.

Beta versions of v26 should really be v26Ba, b, c,... , not v25a, b, c.
and then the first Released version of v26, is v26, with the following
released revisions being v26a, b, c,... (or nn.1, nn.2, etc..).

Just suggesting, and using a global "version" string, defined just after
the FS flag, should make that easy to do, with the FS flag automatically
changing the version slightly.

garygid said:
It is difficult to know which of the several "released" versions of v25 that anybody has.

If a version goes out the door, it should have an identity on each screen,
so that any screenshot would clearly identify the software variant.
That makes it much easier to help someone over the phone, or
in person.

Now, there is no way, other than downloading and installing again
(which is not trivial for some computer-beginner folks),
to "know" what version the user is having trouble with.
Just to play devils advocate:

If downloading and installing again is that difficult for someone, I would advise that he/she wait until the version has been out for a week or two before installing it. Stick with the known stable version until then. For the rest of us, going to the settings screen and looking for an update is trivial, and the install of the refresh is a minor annoyance at best. I'm just glad that Jim quickly fixed a few bugs I found so the app works smoothly now.

Well, in a shocking moment of lameness, I lost access to all Android devices. One, my phone, is now without a screen. The other, a tablet, missing. Now I'm rolling Windows Phone 8 on a Lumia 521, which is infinitely better in practically every way than my old Nexus S 4G. But it's missing one thing: this app. :( There's a clone of some kind on the Windows Phone market (Leaf Logger), but it only does one thing: shows me the battery SOC using the OBDII adapter, and has to be manually refreshed. Lame at its finest. Wish I had this app back. :|

But with that, I can't even participate anymore with this awesome app. Might get an Android device (probably a tablet, or a secondary phone) again someday, but for now... sadly, I can only stand by and observe...

I still have some new Kyocera eVent Android devices
(in unopened original box, or configured for and
setup with the Leaf Battery app, installed and tested),
and/or some tested v1.5 ELM327-type clone devices
if such a complete (or partial) system is helpful.

PM if you are seriously interested.

v25,

1. Screen 1: At the 50 mV scale setting, the scale flips
between 50 and 55, making it difficult to follow variations
in the data.

Perhaps the scale is meant to stay fixed at 50?

2. Screen 1: The base-value for the axis moves around, even when
not necessary, again making it difficult to follow a cell's voltage.

Perhaps a tap on the left axis/label/caption area could
"freeze" the scale, including the base value, even if the data
goes off-graph?

Then, a second tap could "un-freeze" the axis, and re-center?

3. Screen 2: The horizontal scale and labels should be the same
as used on the vertical scale and labels used on Screen 1?

will this setup work if the car is turned off and you start charging it?
if so I would like the ability to have the app send a sms notification when the car is finished charging

thorx said:
will this setup work if the car is turned off and you start charging it?
if so I would like the ability to have the app send a sms notification when the car is finished charging
Not currently, but if you hook it up to the EV-BUS instead of the CAN-BUS you could write an app to do that...

Back