Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice continued improvements. I really like the tire pressure!

One suggestion from someone very deeply into the logs right now: when a new version is created name the log file something new, like put the version number in the filename. This way the fields in the log match the field names in the first line of the file.

Also perhaps a separate log of the bluetooth events to help diagnose the connectivity issues. I often have a hard time with the connection and need to turn on / off bluetooth on my phone as well as unplug the ELM327 until it connects again. It would be nice to see what the phone is having an issue with when it won't connect.

Or use a time stamp (like screenshot automatically names the file yyyy-mm-dd-hh-ss.png). Or name it based on the first entry in the log.

Tire Pressures: *REMINDER* ... you have to drive the car a few 100 feet to get readings -- current and updated; if you don't you'll see "n/a" or the last STORED (old) readings.

I just verified mine with a manual pressure gauge (not the fancy one with digital readout): App reports (CW from Front-Left): 40.5, 40.5, 41.5, 41.8. The manual readings (less precision) were all a little over 1.25 psi higher, but followed the same pattern hi/mid/lo for each respective tire. Not too bad, even if the OEM TP gauges are a little off, at least they seem consistent.

kevinleaf said:
Very nice continued improvements. I really like the tire pressure!

One suggestion from someone very deeply into the logs right now: when a new version is created name the log file something new, like put the version number in the filename. This way the fields in the log match the field names in the first line of the file.

Also perhaps a separate log of the bluetooth events to help diagnose the connectivity issues. I often have a hard time with the connection and need to turn on / off bluetooth on my phone as well as unplug the ELM327 until it connects again. It would be nice to see what the phone is having an issue with when it won't connect.

Turbo3 said:
I think I have found most of the bugs in the connection code.

Currently reworking all the status message code so the status will match what is really happening with the Bluetooth Link/ELM/Leaf. Old code could say waiting for Leaf when it was really waiting for ELM.

Once that is done I will post version 0.25k (-FS) and remove the bug filled c thru j versions.

Going into the settings menu was one way to kill the link.

Also added better labeling for temp/tire pressure and fixed DTE number so it is based only on true GIDs.
Awesome, this validates everything i reported
Also, it is good to know that n/a is supposed to show up as it was not on my screen, but clearing my app cache and scrapping the settings and 12v calib fixed ky issue and now i have tire pressure :)

LEAFfan said:
Are you any closer Jim to solving the GIDs readout problem on the 2013?
Have we confirmed this problem on at least one other 2013 Leaf?

I can switch to a different command to get the real GIDs on the next version.

Coding changes done but Leaf is out at Costco right now. Bench test with just the ELM look very good. Found and fixed a couple of other connect/reconnect problems.

barsad22 said:
Using .25j, I had only n/a showing on the tire pressure sensors... could it be because I rotated the tires at 15,000 miles? Other than that, this version looks great!

JG

Did you drive while the app was on? You have to drive it a couple of hundred feet or so before the tire pressure sensors will take a measurement and send it to the app. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098&start=1720#p311248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turbo3 said:
LEAFfan said:

Coding changes done but Leaf is out at Costco right now. Bench test with just the ELM look very good. Found and fixed a couple of other connect/reconnect problems.

Just put another beta version, we'll test it out for ya ! :)

Not a lot of testing in a Leaf but here it is, version 0.25k. If it works I will make a full screen version.

I am sure there are at least a couple more small bugs but it should be much better than the previous versions.

Give it at least 10 seconds before you think it is hung. I increased the timeout I use for link startup from 3 to 10 seconds so I don't overrun BT with request to start the link. If BT is turned OFF to start with it can take a few seconds for Android to get it up and running.

Turbo3 said:
LEAFfan said:

Thanks. No one else so far has posted, but I'm waiting on my friend to let me know after he downloads j.

Just tried 25k with my new Kyocera Event and both my older larger ELM and the new mini.
Both now settle at "Waiting for ELM"
Do I need yet a different ELM?

Latest version has the most stable connection of the 0.25 group, I've tried.

It does, however, end on a permanent retry leaf after less than two minutes, so I'm not quite at the level where I could have it run and feed me data while I drive.

(Battery degradation is just cranking along. Went from 57.45 AHr to 56.97 AHr in just the past 8 days.)

Just drove home with 25k, Much better connection, it is noticeably longer for each iteration compared to 24, but not by much, and I never had timeouts or hangouts, and all data was updated every time I looked.
Awesome!

One small issue remains for me: when changing between landscape and portrait modes few times sometimes the screen goes dark, so always on option stops working, a bit annoying when I drive and phone slips and changes orientation and then goes dark...

Happens on my galaxy S3.

Bug report for both 25j and 25k
Tire pressures cannot be checked when settings are in metric, works fine for imperial, but clicking temperatures when in degrees C does nothing. Viewing psi and then switching to metric does not force the psi to remain on screen.
Also, not sure why you decided to use fractions instead of decimal for the psi, but isnt decimal more accurate? Like i will know that there is 0.2psi difference between pressures in v25j, but now?

jclemens said:
Tire pressures cannot be checked when settings are in metric, works fine for imperial, but clicking temperatures when in degrees C does nothing. Viewing psi and then switching to metric does not force the psi to remain on screen.
Also, not sure why you decided to use fractions instead of decimal for the psi, but isnt decimal more accurate? Like i will know that there is 0.2psi difference between pressures in v25j, but now?
Pressure is only provide in increments of 1/4 psi so that is the limit of the displayed number.

Just need to know what units are used for metric. kPa?

Turbo3 said:
jclemens said:
Pressure is only provide in increments of 1/4 psi so that is the limit of the displayed number.

Just need to know what units are used for metric. kPa?

Actually without a trace I am not sure if a Leaf sold in the metric market uses 1/4 psi as the unit of measure in the message I am looking at.

So I need someone with a metric Leaf to tell me what psi reading they get and if converted to kPa do they match the actual tire pressures.

I am guessing they might use 2kPa units which would be about 0.29 psi close to our 0.24 psi unit.

One comment about usability...
Tire pressure... I really don't need to look at it often, but I want to know if it is too low or too high.
It would be nice to have an alarm mechanism of some kind for tire pressure, battery temperature and maybe some other parameters, like delta on cell voltage. You set min and max values, and if parameter goes out you can sound something and show alarm somewhere on a screen.
It does not feel right to always click between temp and pressure just to detect an event that would happen once in a blue moon...

Saw an odd-numbered count for the L2 charge counter last night and this morning. Car is on an 80% End-Only-Timer (7am). Plugged in yesterday afternoon after return home. But in evening I unplugged it to "shuffle" cars around. (Not 100% sure but I think I also saw 1913 for the L2 count.) This morning after completion of the charge at 06:32 (per email), I turned on the app while still plugged in, and with brake+2xPowerOn saw L2 count of 1913. I unplugged, then used brake+1xPowerOn. The count "jumped" to 1915.

So, I decided to get one of the BAFX Products PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 adapters (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) since it was very well reviewed and seemed to be one of the more compatible units... It is also relatively large - about 3" long - which was a plus for me (I use an OBDII extension and Y cable so size and clearance was not an issue) as I assumed it would allow for easy access and modifications. I primarily wanted to move it over to switched ACC power. There is also plenty of room in the case (and even a hole at the end with a rubber plug) for those who might want to add a power or buss switch...

It turns out it is a breeze to do and took me 15 minutes from start to end. I'll give a brief description here for anyone who wants to do likewise.

1) The four screws that hold it together are under the blue label. Remove the adhesive label and remove the four screws.
2) Separate the unit and then unplug the white connector from the PC Board.
3) You can then lift the OBDII connector entirely out of the unit's shell.
4) Move the wire on pin 16 (full-time 12 volts) to pin 8 (switched ACC 12 volts). (In the photo, Pin 16 is on the top left and pin 8 is on the bottom left so it is a very easy move).
5) Put the connector back in to the shell and replug the connector to the PC Board.
6) Reassemble the two shell halfs with the 4 screws. Be careful not to bend the five LEDs...
7) Put the label back on (or leave it off if you prefer).

It now functions as before but is only powered when the car is powered on or in ACC. It is working very well with Turbo3's App.

2r2lmjm.jpg

15p4c2s.jpg

307oi07.jpg

In my European Leaf the tire pressure doesn't update (in Psi). Probably my car doesn't have the pressure sensors.

The SI unit of pressure is the Pascal, but it is easier to use bar (10^5 Pascal). The recommended pressure is 2.5 bar (I have 2.8).

Back