Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
False alarm! It read great until I hit 50% capacity, then they went to zero really fast. After zeroing out, it restarts at 300 GIDs. So the bug is still there.

Turbo3 said:
Turbo3 said:
jclemens said:
Bug report for both 25j and 25k
Tire pressures cannot be checked when settings are in metric, works fine for imperial, but clicking temperatures when in degrees C does nothing. Viewing psi and then switching to metric does not force the psi to remain on screen.
Also, not sure why you decided to use fractions instead of decimal for the psi, but isnt decimal more accurate? Like i will know that there is 0.2psi difference between pressures in v25j, but now?
Pressure is only provide in increments of 1/4 psi so that is the limit of the displayed number.

Just need to know what units are used for metric. kPa?

Actually without a trace I am not sure if a Leaf sold in the metric market uses 1/4 psi as the unit of measure in the message I am looking at.

So I need someone with a metric Leaf to tell me what psi reading they get and if converted to kPa do they match the actual tire pressures.

I am guessing they might use 2kPa units which would be about 0.29 psi close to our 0.24 psi unit.
In Canada we use PSI. I have my stock ecopias at 40psi, the app seemed pretty accurate, i just cant see anything unless i am in miles.
I cant really help further unless the raw data can be dumped on a debug screen.

Here is the new screen 4 layout with real GIDs featured on the top line. I have not tested on all my devices yet so it may get some small adjustments before it is released in Version 0.25m (there is no version "l" looks too much line 1)

Improvements for "m" are new status messages when the app retries a request that also include the request number that is being retried. The status message update rate has been increased from once per second to 10 times per second. The tire pressure will be reported in PSI no matter what units are selected.

qxo6.png

ss8r.png

Anyone else having issues with 25k and a 2013 showing crazy GID counts? I uninstalled the app, cleared the app data and then reinstalled just to make sure. My GIDs at ~65% SOC (dashboard) are showing 456 GIDs. And my kwh remaining is showing 36.5. Looks like values are being doubled. Anyone else having this issue?

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.25m will have a test option for this 2013 GID problem that allows you to select an alternative way of getting GIDs.
I'm guessing the Gid request is either the 34 request or 4E request? Here's what my 2013 rental returns:
797: 03 22 12 34 00 00 00 00 req
79A: 07 62 12 34 00 00 0A 0A test 2011 unknown Gids
79A: 04 62 12 34 00 00 00 00 rental 2013 - 217 Gids

and
797: 03 22 12 4E 00 00 00 00 req
79A: 07 62 12 4E 00 6E 01 32 test 2011 unknown Gids
79A: 05 62 12 4E 06 C8 00 00 rental 2013 - 217 Gids

What does the first byte of the response mean? Seems most responses are 05 or 07 (although the 2013 had 04 for the 34 reg)

If the first byte is less than 0x10 then it is the number of valid data bytes following the first byte. Since a message has a max of 8 bytes in a frame this count can never be greater than seven.

The first byte follows the industry spec if you want more details on other values for the first byte.

Versions 0.25m (-FS) are up for testing.

Features
- New Screen 4 top layout for GIDs/SOC
- Settings Debug panel has a new check box "Alt GIDs". Those with 2013 models please check this box and test if GIDs now work (fingers crossed). As a bonus HV battery amps are displayed below GIDs. There will be a period "." after the label "GIDs" to indicated the Alt GIDs are/will be displayed. (see screen shot)
- More detailed status messages of BT link operations. If your app hangs report the step number displayed in message.
- Message update rate increased from once per second to 10 times per second.
- Better error handling.
- Default data will be used if saved data file gets corrupted. Before you would need to clear all the app's data including the setting file.
- Setting and data are only saved/updated on exit from the app. Before they were saved everytime the app paused. This might have caused the file corruption.
- Tire pressure is always reported in PSI independent of Units selected.

wdd.png

In version 25m on Galaxy S3, the lower red triangle is a bit off, in landscape mode is it could be totally intersecting with remaining kWh number...
And it is a bit off to the right as well (the pics below are taken right after hitting reset button)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-21-19-45-31.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-21-19-45-31.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2013-07-21-19-45-15.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-21-19-45-15.png
    68 KB · Views: 41
Yes, I know about that issue. The problem is variable font sizes and knowing how many pixels they take.

I have had that problem ever since I put the battery graphic in. I have code for it but it does not always work.

Go to System menu in settings and report what it lists in the lower right corner (two lines of graphic info).

For what it is worth the ELM units I have result in a message:
"ELM Retry 3" being displayed in the m version instead of the "Waiting for ELM" in the k version
My new ELM arrives Wednesday.

ELM Retry 3 means it is stuck on the command "ATE0" which should turn off echo mode.

If you have a HyperTerm type program you can try manually entering the first three commands and see what responses you get back from the ELM.

Here is what is sent up to the hang.

ATL0
ATZ
ATE0

You should probably skip the first one ATL0 as it turns off Line Feed. So start with ATZ which resets the ELM it should reply with the version number. What is it?

Then send ATE0 and see what happens.

These are very basic ELM commands so they should be working.

Definitely a tough nut to crack, this connectivity issue.

With 0.25m, I get, if I'm lucky, one, partial scan, then it's "Retry Leaf 16", forever.

So far, 0.25k has had the most stable connection with the BAFX, I can get at least a minute or two of successful scans out of that one before it quits.

I've even gone back to the Vgate a couple of times. That one is, pretty much, worthless.

I ran another test of 0.25m, this time with the car in "ready" mode. The prior test was run while the car was charging.

This time, I get the VIN displayed and it runs through a few, successful scans before stopping on Retry Leaf 23.

Version 0.25n (-FS) is up for testing.

Features
- Fixed bug where if last request in the table failed it would retry the wrong request (VIN instead of Tire Pressure)
- Fixed bug where a good response could be mistaken for a bad response.

If you are charging and the Leaf is off it is normal to get the Retry Leaf 16 message since the CAR-CAN must be active to respond to a Tire Pressure request. The bug in the above Retry Leaf 16 was that it was retrying the request VIN instead of the Tire Pressure request. You could only see that bug with an internal trace or CAN trace. Now with it fixed if you turn the Leaf on it will continue past Retry Leaf 16 as it should.

Note: Having you report which request failed is making it much easier to find and fix these last remaining bugs. Keep reporting the problems with the failing request number.

Quick updated to Version 0.25n (-FS) is up on dropbox. Package name has the number "1" after the letter "n" but on screen it will still show as just "v0.25n". If you downloaded the initial version of "n" without the 1 after the n then just download it again.

I took a second look at GregH's data and realized what Nissan changed so I can still use the same request to get 2013 GID data. You do not need to select "Alt GIDs" but I would be interested in what you get if you do. I think it will still give the wrong GIDs.

Nissan just uses 10 Wh units instead of 80 Wh units and by looking at the message length you can tell which format it is in.

Thanks Jim! It looks like you've solved the GIDs problem. I also checked the Alt GIDs box and it reads the same. Thanks also for putting GIDs on top. Great work!

Back