Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you reset statistics without resetting all app settings?

Turbo3 said:
We can probably rate how good an ELM is by how small a delay it can handle and still give a near 100% success rate.

I might add a few more slower rates than 60ms but that is getting pretty slowwww.

=================================================
So if you have an ELM that does not get to the Connnected state or fails within the first 10-20 seconds use the ELM Trace function to capture and send me a trace.

If the failure happens after 10-20 seconds try increasing the response delay. If that does not help then you can try taking a trace but put the delay back to the default of 16 msec to help keep the file as small as possible.

Statistics automatically reset when the Serial port is opened and you see the message Waiting 4 ELM.

Until then you will be able to review the previous Statistics. If you start the app out of range of the ELM you can review the statistics as the status message will be only Connect 2 ELM, Looking 4 ELM.

You can still get a key that physically works, you just can't get one that is preprogrammed... And until a little while ago at least, you could get one from a Mercedes dealership that WAS preprogrammed for your vehicle...

JPWhite said:
This may have been true with traditional car locks. With the intelligent key the dealership has to have the vehicle, keys and a instrument to program them. It's like pairing up your garage door opener, you can't get a fob made if you know the serial # of the garage door opener.

Turbo3 said:
We can probably rate how good an ELM is by how small a delay it can handle and still give a near 100% success rate.
I tried a few different delays on my car and no matter what seemed to get about a 90% success rate after a few minutes...

I did not try anything faster than default, but I tried all the way up to 60 with the same results. Galaxy S3 and one of the larger blue Vgate branded ELM327s. I have one of the tiny blue ELM327s - didn't try that one.

I have played with p1 on 2 trips and during L2 and L3 charging.
The first thing that I noticed is that it stopped working while charging.
Before I was able to monitor SOC, now it reads the values initially and display updates (or at least some values), but then getting stuck in Retry Leaf 16 27 (second number depends on timeout) and stops updating.
Changing timeout does not matter...

Another thing I noticed is that even with normally running during driving Statistics is always around 50%,
Changing timeouts does not seem to change it much... Never got 100% even with largest timeout...
But with all that while driving I see that everything is working, numbers are changing...

Galaxy S3 with Super Mini ELM327 V1.5

UkrainianKozak said:
I have played with p1 on 2 trips and during L2 and L3 charging.
The first thing that I noticed is that it stopped working while charging.
Before I was able to monitor SOC, now it reads the values initially and display updates (or at least some values), but then getting stuck in Retry Leaf 16 27 (second number depends on timeout) and stops updating.
Changing timeout does not matter...

Another thing I noticed is that even with normally running during driving Statistics is always around 50%,
Changing timeouts does not seem to change it much... Never got 100% even with largest timeout...
But with all that while driving I see that everything is working, numbers are changing...

Galaxy S3 with Super Mini ELM327 V1.5
The reason it stops working after a while while charging is due to the read tire pressure request. The problem is that the CAR-CAN must be active for the tire pressure request to work (step 16 27) . If you open a door while charging you will see it work again for a minute or so as that wakes up the CAR-CAN.

I am thinking of making the request list variable depending on the state of the car. So in this case the app would not issue the tire pressure request if the motor RPM is zero.

I think the VIN capture feature is pretty snazzy for the ELM battery app although perhaps less so for something like LeafDD or CANary that are more permanent fixtures. I would think with the VIN capture the app could be set up to log data successively from a number of cars (say at a group meet up).. or for logging battery health stats over time for a number of Leafs. Since most of the digits don't mean much I would think the main options for screen capture would be the 5 lowest digits or no display at all. In the EV1 days we all identified by our (3 digit!) VIN...

GregH said:
I would think with the VIN capture the app could be set up to log data successively from a number of cars (say at a group meet up)..
Agreed, this is an excellent use case. If say you are considering buying a LEAF (New or USED) and have half a dozen choices, it may help you avoid the lemon or pick the star performer in a group. More info, better choices are possible.

For some reason, my phone will not sustain a wireless charge (qi standard) while the app is running. Currently using v.25p1, and will test with previous versions in the coming days. It is definitely something with having the app running that is stopping the wireless charging after a few minutes, as the charging will resume once exited from the app.

phone: Verizon Droid DNA

Turbo3 said:
Using the slowest setting of 60 msec I got a success rate of 99.3% (740 Good, 5 Fails) using and ELM327 Mini and Kyocera Event.

I'm using the default speed with the Stubby and same phone with 100% success rate. I haven't tried any faster rates.

@Turbo
Can you app support cable versions of ELM327(usb) dongle?

http://dx.com/p/elm327-usb-vehicle-obd-2-scanner-tool-28528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I finally tracked down the problem with the Leaf Battery App (0.25 p1 FS) on my Leaf. There appears to be a conflict between the LeafDD and the Leaf Battery App. When both are running at once (through a three foot extension and one foot splitter cable), the LeafDD works fine, but the Leaf Battery App doesn't update Gids or the cell voltages on screen 1. If I unplug the LeafDD, the Leaf Battery App updates the Gid reading properly and the cell voltages get updated as expected. Other values (temperature, SOC, tire pressures) appear to be updated correctly even when the LeafDD is plugged in. I don't know if anything can be done to fix this problem. I am running the LeafDD as my preferred Gid meter, but occasionally want to use the Leaf Battery App without unplugging the LeafDD.

thorx said:
@Turbo
Can you app support cable versions of ELM327(usb) dongle?

http://dx.com/p/elm327-usb-vehicle-obd-2-scanner-tool-28528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have that exact one for testing. But have not done anything with it at this time.

So yes I plan on trying to support a cable version at some point in the future.

Stoaty said:
I finally tracked down the problem with the Leaf Battery App (0.25 p1 FS) on my Leaf. There appears to be a conflict between the LeafDD and the Leaf Battery App. When both are running at once (through a three foot extension and one foot splitter cable), the LeafDD works fine, but the Leaf Battery App doesn't update Gids or the cell voltages on screen 1. If I unplug the LeafDD, the Leaf Battery App updates the Gid reading properly and the cell voltages get updated as expected. Other values (temperature, SOC, tire pressures) appear to be updated correctly even when the LeafDD is plugged in. I don't know if anything can be done to fix this problem. I am running the LeafDD as my preferred Gid meter, but occasionally want to use the Leaf Battery App without unplugging the LeafDD.
If LeafDD is also using the same requests that my app is then that is a big problem. You should not have two active devices on the OBDII even if they are on different CANs (EV,CAR). Remove one of them.

WattsLeft is totally passive so is not a problem when using this app.

Turbo3 said:
If LeafDD is also using the same requests that my app is then that is a big problem. You should not have two active devices on the same OBDII CAN at the same time even if they are on different CANs (EV,CAR). Remove one of them.

WattsLeft is totally passive so is not a problem when using this app.
Thanks. Info added to Wiki manual (link in my signature).

Version 0.25q (-FS) is up for testing.

Features
- If Leaf is not moving then the tire pressure request is not sent. This allows the app to be used while the Leaf is charging as it will not get hung up on the failing read tire pressure request.
- Tire Pressure alerts. New Setting/Tire Pressure panel where you can set the trigger PSI for the alerts. PSI number will turn RED and flash. If Sound Alarm is checked a beep will sound every 5 seconds until you tap the PSI/Temp panel. Screen 4 will be forced as the active screen. Tap PSI/Degree panel to disable this screen force (same as disabling beep).
- Alternate between tire PSI and temp by checking the "Alternate PSI/Temp Display" checkbox in Settings/Tire Pressure. Tappng PSI/Temp panel will temporarily disable this setting. A long tap will reenable even if it was not originally enabled by checkbox.
- Conversion from raw temp to degrees now uses GregH's table. My original two constant formula has been replaced by a 48 constant lookup table.
- If AltGids has not been selected then motor RPM is displayed below GIDs. Have not actually seen this working since I have not driven the Leaf. (This is more of a debug feature then a permanent location)

ydfn.png

Back