Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the thread has moved into "request possible functionality" mode. Is it possible to create a functionality that would allow L1/L2 charging to levels other than 80% and 100%? That would be fabulous.

Turbo3 said:
davewill said:
Absolutely add the Tire registration. Just make sure it can't be activated accidentally. Definitely include an "Are you sure" prompt. It would be nice to be able to change the auto lock and unlock settings that only the dealer can do right now.
What settings are those?
The owner can turn auto lock and auto unlock on and off by pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons. The dealer service dept, using Consult, can also change the settings so that it auto locks when it goes out of park, and auto unlocks when it goes into park. EVDRIVER has hinted there are other hidden configuration choices that only the dealer can access.

davewill said:
Turbo3 said:
davewill said:
Absolutely add the Tire registration. Just make sure it can't be activated accidentally. Definitely include an "Are you sure" prompt. It would be nice to be able to change the auto lock and unlock settings that only the dealer can do right now.
What settings are those?
The owner can turn auto lock and auto unlock on and off by pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons. The dealer service dept, using Consult, can also change the settings so that it auto locks when it goes out of park, and auto unlocks when it goes into park. EVDRIVER has hinted there are other hidden configuration choices that only the dealer can access.
Interesting, I will look into that and add it to the app.

davewill said:

Prior to last month, my car would auto-lock the doors as soon as I put the car into Drive and then auto-unlock the doors once I turned the car off. My husband really hated it, because I sit and log a bunch of stuff regarding my car (and even more now with the Battery App) when we get back from driving it (before it got turned off), and he didn't want to sit and wait for the car doors to unlock. I read somewhere in the forums that you can have the dealership change that setting so that the doors auto-unlock when you put the car into Park, instead of them unlocking when the car gets turned off. So when I took my car in for the latest software update, I had them change that too. My husband is MUCH happier now. :) So I think that's what davewill is talking about.

My understanding is that it will then not unlock if you simply turn the car off (which, of course, also puts it in park). Since I always just turn it off, I would find that very annoying... If it could do both, that would be optimum.

vrwl said:
So when I took my car in for the latest software update, I had them change that too. My husband is MUCH happier now. :) So I think that's what davewill is talking about.

TomT said:
My understanding is that it will then not unlock if you simply turn the car off (which, of course, also puts it in park). Since I always just turn it off, I would find that very annoying... If it could do both, that would be optimum.

vrwl said:
So when I took my car in for the latest software update, I had them change that too. My husband is MUCH happier now. :) So I think that's what davewill is talking about.

Oh! I didn't know that, but for me, that's ok because I always put it into Park before I turn it off.

(I keep forgetting I have the service manual)
The options available are: (from service manual BCS-15)

Automatic Lock/Unlock
- Off
- Unlock Only
- Lock Only
- Lock/Unlock

Automatic Door Lock
- VH SPD
- P Range (ie Park)

Automatic Door Unlock
- Mode 1
- Mode 2
- Mode 3
- Mode 4
- Mode 5
- Mode 6

• MODE 1: All doors are unlocked when the power supply position is changed from ON to OFF

• MODE 2: All doors are unlocked when shifting the selector lever from any position other than the P to P position

• MODE 3: Driver side door is unlocked when the power supply position is changed from ON to OFF

• MODE 4: Driver side door is unlocked when shifting the selector lever from any position other than the P to P position

• MODE 5,6: not used

Having an issue with 26m2. The ambient temp is not showing on my 2013SV. Only seeing the ***. Not sure how this is effecting the DTE calculation.

Also the brightness isn't changing based on the headlights. Is this implemented or did I misunderstand a prior post.

Actual practical real-life (*not* a TEST) situation with TPMS !

While I was out of town, the spouse unit experienced TWO (!) flat repairs on the RL (RearLeft) tire (nails and bolts) over a period of 3 days. MAJOR inconvenience for her ... :cry:

I had pretty much forgotten about the events of last week (reported to me via phone), except that the LEAF also did not charge during the night prior to my return and wife had (as reported) "some idiot lights" ;) on Saturday morning, but drove fine for her, just with less charge than usual. So, after returning Saturday night I took a screenshot (using v0.26e) and co-incidentally with tire pressures rather than temps. That night the car charged from one bar to 100% fine by Sunday morning. A review of Saturday night's screenshot shows the PSI delta was 1.75 and RL was actually the 2nd highest.

This morning I had downloaded v0.26m2, but forgot to look at tire pressures.

This afternoon I drove us along the same route she had been taking last week. After dropping her off at the gym I noticed the RL tire quite a bit lower than the others: the PSI delta was 4.25 and RL was lowest at 39.25. No TPMS alarm yet, because the default is ( I think ) 38 and the delta is OFF by default. After the LEAF sat for 1 hour, when returning to the car I heard the TPMS alarm for the first time. The RL was now 37.5, although (and I did not take a screenshot) the other three had also come down in pressure. As I drove to pick her back up from the gym the pressure slowly rose in all four tires, but I had also now set the PSI delta active at 4.0 psi. So even after the RL went above 38, the alarm persisted due to the more than 4.0 delta. ( BUG/Feature report: can't change TPMS alarm settings while alarm is active and until condition is fixed, even after re-starting app. This may be a "good thing", but prevented me from turning off the "annoying" alarm ... not sure if there's another way to do so.)

The entire drive home I carefully monitored RL, and after arriving at home I inflated RL with a bicycle pump, stopping when I heard 3x beeps from the LEAF. Drove a 100 feet or so and the app now showed the RL at 41.75 (from 38.5) with 1.75 delta. Inflated with a couple more pumps to end up at RL=42.75 and delta 1.25 (FL being highest @ 43.5, RL = FR, and RR @ 42.25 (lowest)).

At first hearing of the app's TPMS alarm I thought the tire store had simply not inflated the RL as high as the others. But now having reviewed Saturday's screenshot this (false assumption) does not explain why from Saturday to Monday the pressure delta increased so much ... it's possible the tire is still (or again) leaking ... but I'll know more as I watch the situation carefully over the next couple of days. Although the LEAF TPMS alarm did not come on, because of this app I could confidently drive home, knowing that any leak was slow enough to not constitute an emergency.

@Turbo3: THANK YOU FOR THE TPMS ALARMS !

bradbissell said:
Having an issue with 26m2. The ambient temp is not showing on my 2013SV. Only seeing the ***. Not sure how this is effecting the DTE calculation.

Also the brightness isn't changing based on the headlights. Is this implemented or did I misunderstand a prior post.
If the ambient can not be read (**) it is not included in the DTE calculations.

I will need an ELM trace to look into why the display is not auto dimming. Enable ELM trace, exit app, restart app then turn headlights on for 10 second and off for 10 seconds twice. Then exit app and send me the TRCdata.txt file.

bradbissell said:

I believe ALL the 2013s have something different from the CAR CAN. With v.26m2, not only no ambient temp and no screen dimming, but also no tire pressures. T3 would like u to do an Elm trace and email the results to him.

LEAFfan said:
bradbissell said:

I believe ALL the 2013s have something different from the CAR CAN. With v.26m2, not only no ambient temp and no screen dimming, but also no tire pressures. T3 would like u to do an Elm trace and email the results to him.

I have a 2013 SV as well. Once T3 sends me the beta pw, I can pull whatever info as well. (Sorry, been off the board for a bit due to some personal issues going on)

Turbo3 said:
Just tap the tire PSI panel to disable the alarm.
Thanks, that worked (this morning). But an odd thing happened. As I got in and started the car the readings were of course the ones from last night. As I started driving the FL adjusted downward (due to overnight low temps) resulting in 4 or more psi delta. This started the alarm condition with the center "PSI Delta" and the FL showing in blink mode. It took another 300-400 feet for the other 3 tires to catch up, resulting in 1.25psi delta, but the ALARM remained ON, and now the 3 OTHER tires blinking -- they were now all between 1.25 and 0.5 below the FL tire.

When I pressed the PSI panel the center cyan alarm condition (which was reading 1.25 delta) went away and switched to normal background, but the 3 other tire readings continued to blink. (This may be useful.)

In any case, the RL tire held it's pressure overnight, and all tires showed pressures relative to each other the same as last night with only +/-0.25 differences in two cases. (Another way of saying this: all four tires lost between 4.75 and 5.25 psi overnight.) (And the 4.75 loser was the flat-repaired RL tire.)

on my MY2013 I don't get ambient temp but I do get tire pressures. Also with Alt GIDs set the DTE values are way off. Turbo3 let me know if you need any debug logs from me.

kevinleaf said:
on my MY2013 I don't get ambient temp but I do get tire pressures. Also with Alt GIDs set the DTE values are way off. Turbo3 let me know if you need any debug logs from me.
Do the AltGids display correctly or ar they off too. If the AltGids don't match the non-AltGids then I will need an ELM Trace.

I am back in research mode on the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and reseting them.

The DTC is encoded as a 16 bit number with the high two bits being the type.

00-P-Powertrain (updated)
10-B-Body
01-C-Chassis
11-U-Network (updated)

My BCM has only two DTC for me to look at B2562 and C1707 so I only know those high bit values for now. Note the four digit number part is in hex and ranges from 0x0000 to 0x3FFF. So the highest Body DTC would be B3FFF.

At this point it looks like I have the sequence to request the DTCs and then the FFD (Freeze Frame Data) at least for one ECU. But I think the sequence would be the same for the others.

I don't think I should have any trouble including an option to view and clear DTC errors. Right now clearing appears to be by ECU which makes sense since that is the level you get the data.

Very cool, so "my" P31CA is 2 bits for the P (Power Train), 2 more bits for a
leading digit of 0 to 3, and then 3 hex characters, 0 through F of 4 bits each.

This will be a very useful feature. Reading the codes will help with getting
better service, and being able to reset a carefully chosen code could make
the difference between being stranded, and getting home (or to a dealer).

We will have to work on discovering the meanings of the codes.

I certainly appreciate your many discoveries, and your hard work.

If necessary, this function, along with the Tire Pressure Registration
functions, could be put into a separate "Use only with Caution" application.

Cheers, Gary

Back