Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screen 5:

-------
Sensor Location Assignment:

The FL, FR, etc. that you show are the car's wheel-location guesses,
not the real wheel location, right?
So, maybe they should be in Quotes?

Under the row of Pressure settings, used to re-locate already-registered
wheels, you might want to put FL under the 36, etc. so the user is reminded
which tire location to deflate to what pressure.

Then, once the correct tires are at the "identify-me" pressures, the 4
already-registered pressure sensors could be re-assigned to the
proper locations, so that the list above would have correct locations
listed, right?

--------
Sensor Registration:

However, presumably registering new "winter" tires (new pressure sensors)
requires a different process, right.

So, if one or more tires (like when mounting a spare) shows up as "0"
registration number, how is the old sensor un-registered, and the
new sensor registered?

I will need to have two options. One when you are just rotating tires and a second one for new wheels with new TPMS units.

When rotating tires the four wheel TPMS IDs would still be listed just not in the right order. After you set the pressures, execute the registration operation and drive the car the Leaf will detect and register the TPMS IDs in the correct order based on PSI readings. So the wheel with pressure set to 35 would be on top (FL) and the wheel reporting 26 would be on the bottom (RL) of the list after registration. The Leaf does all that.

In the case of new wheels with TPMS units that the Leaf has never seen before the IDs listed will be the IDs for the original TPMS units no longer on the car. Tire pressures reported would be for the last time they reported in with PSI readings.

You would then adjust the new wheel tire pressures to the four different pressures but of course the on screen values would not change as the Leaf knows nothing about these new TPMS units. Then you execute the registration operation, drive the car while the Leaf starts looking for TPMS units and based on the PSI values coming from the new TPMS units it registers the new IDs in the correct order.

The start of a registration operation automatically unregisters the current IDs setting them to all zeroes. Then the Leaf looks for TPMS units. The only way to end with IDs of zeroes is if the registration operation fails (you start registration but don't drive the car or don't drive long enough). If for some reason the registration fails you would just need to follow the new wheel registration sequence.

Key is getting the four tires to the four different pressures which is why I have this progress bar aid. But it only works for rotation not for new TPMS units.

I have just tested the first beta version of the app that can do Tire Registration.

On this first drive I did three registrations on the loop out and back to my house.

I first tested the app in the garage before driving and before adjusting the tire pressures. I found that the IDs go to 0xFFFFFF not zero like I thought. As a result I unregistered all my tires so I could not use the progress bar and tire pressure readings in the app to set the pressures. So it was more like a test of putting on new wheels.

Note the pressures are not as I listed but did work. Found that I could start a registration while driving. At first I though it had to be started when the car was not moving but that is not the case.

I need to work on the interface. Button needs to be bigger and I think change color to indicate status.

The first number under the button is 1 while registering then changes to 2 when complete and I think goes to 4 if it fails. The second number down starts as zero and on registration completion changes to 240 decimal or 0xF0 which I think means four TPMS units were register (high four bits).

After I clean up the interface and messages it should be ready for others to test.

wqje.png

Version 0.26n1 (-FS) is up for testing

Features/Fixes
* Fix ambient temp for 2013 Leafs
* Fix RPM for 2013 Leafs
* Add support for Tire Registration

To test tire registration you need to go into Setting/Debug and check the "Service" check box.

9hot.png

woooowww!! this is so awesome!
I specifically DIDN'T pay extra for sensors in my winter-tire rims because I had no way to read the tire pressures and no way to register them anyways without paying big $$$ to the dealer (each time I switch tires!). Now I think I'll get a set... is there a thread that discusses finding compatible after-market sensors that are compatible with the Leaf??

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.26n1 (-FS) is up for testing

Features/Fixes
* Fix ambient temp for 2013 Leafs
* Fix RPM for 2013 Leafs
* Add support for Tire Registration

To test tire registration you need to go into Setting/Debug and check the "Service" check box.

9hot.png

jclemens said:
... is there a thread that discusses finding compatible after-market sensors that are compatible with the Leaf??

There was a thread on TPMS quite some time ago. If I recall, the LEAF had the honor of being the only car in the Nissan lineup with that TPMS sensor. There may be others now. I'd do a google search for:

site:mynissanleaf.com "TPMS"

I have created a separate topic for the Tire Registration function. Please post all Tire Registration/TPMS comments there. This topic is getting too long for people to follow so I will be splitting off major topics as we go along.

Any future ability coming to read the "service" codes when the EV System Warning Light comes on? I have had this happen twice when charging. Of course when I brought the car to the dealer for them to fix it there was no sign of the light...

kevinleaf said:
Any future ability coming to read the "service" codes when the EV System Warning Light comes on? I have had this happen twice when charging. Of course when I brought the car to the dealer for them to fix it there was no sign of the light...
Yes, that is coming. Next is the ability to change the door auto lock/unlock settings. Then the DTE codes after that.

I need someone with a charging error so don't have it cleared the next time it happens. I need to collect some data from anyone who has an active EV system warning light or one that came on and went away where you have not gone to the dealer to clear it out.

TonyWilliams said:
jclemens said:
... is there a thread that discusses finding compatible after-market sensors that are compatible with the Leaf??

There was a thread on TPMS quite some time ago. If I recall, the LEAF had the honor of being the only car in the Nissan lineup with that TPMS sensor. There may be others now. I'd do a google search for:

My 2006 350z had TPMS sensors.. MAtter of fact, it had a display to show you the tire pressures right on the dash.

Turbo3 said:
kevinleaf said:
Yes, that is coming. Next is the ability to change the door auto lock/unlock settings. Then the DTE codes after that.

I need someone with a charging error so don't have it cleared the next time it happens. I need to collect some data from anyone who has an active EV system warning light or one that came on and went away where you have not gone to the dealer to clear it out.

I'm sure I'll have the EV System Warning Light again soon. Trying 3.3kw capable EVSE overnight to see if it gets triggered.

Door lock / unlock settings + !! I can't stand that it locks my doors for me and doesn't unlock them until i turn the car off. I'll lock my own doors when I want them locked!

sorphin said:
TonyWilliams said:
jclemens said:

My 2006 350z had TPMS sensors.. MAtter of fact, it had a display to show you the tire pressures right on the dash.

I didn't say other Nissan products didn't have TPMS... I said that only the LEAF had one unique TPMS sensor that was not shared with other Nissan products.

Version 0.26n2 is up for special testing.

This version has the start of the code to read and display DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the Leaf.

What I have working right now is just the reading part for all but one ECU (Telematics disabled for now). There is NO display function. However, if you enable the ELM Trace function, then press the new "Read DTC" button on the Service menu the data I need to complete this function will be saved in the ELM Trace file.

I would really like for those who have had the EV check light come on in the past to dump their DTC codes to the ELM Trace file and send it to me for analysis.

If you actually have the EV check light on at the time the trace is taken please note that when you send me the file.

The actual reading of all ECU DTCs take about 2.5 seconds. The button will stay yellow until all ECU are queried. If for some reasaon the button stays yellow then uncheck the "Hide Connect Sts" in the Settings/Screen panel and tell me the step it is stuck on.

I know one car with the telematics actually removed, so if you want
to program to handle the no-Response case with some "N. A." type
indication, I can test that option for you.

Initially, a list of the responding ECUs (and not), then
later add the codes and their other attributes... great.

Is it your understanding that one clears all the Codes at
once, or all the Codes from a particular ECU, or individual
codes, or... not known yet?

Later, select one code to look it up in the CodeInfo file.
Do you have a preferred format for that, like csv perhaps?

Any volunteer to read the codes from the Service Manual
and begin making the file?

Splendid work... as usual. :D :D

No luck getting the Telematics ECU to talk to me. Seems like there must be some software switch I need to set to activate it probably in another ECU. That will take some time to find so for now Telematics ECU will be skipped.

DTC codes are reset by ECU. I reset one that had no DTCs and all the others with DTC still had them.

Have not looked into the format yet. Probably [DTC code, Fail-Safe Pattern , Short Description, Long multi line text with symbol used to indicate new lines]. That last one, multi line would be optional.

Gary, do you have access to the Leaf you were using for the mini QC testing? It would be interesting to get an ELM Trace of the DTCs with this version of the app.

While I was out-of-town my wife reported the LEAF was not charging night of 8/9-8/10 and saw "idiot" lights. She drove the car anyway (just lower SOC). Next day all was well. Did not go to dealer. Would the DTCs still be stored now for reporting to you ?

Turbo3 said:

I would really like for those who have had the EV check light come on in the past to dump their DTC codes to the ELM Trace file and send it to me for analysis.

LEAFer said:
While I was out-of-town my wife reported the LEAF was not charging night of 8/9-8/10 and saw "idiot" lights. She drove the car anyway (just lower SOC). Next day all was well. Did not go to dealer. Would the DTCs still be stored now for reporting to you ?

Turbo3 said:

Yes, they should still be there. Take an ELM Trace and send it to me and I will tell you what I see.

Back