(Videos) 2.5 yo Leaf; startup idiot lights weird sometimes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of your errors are related to inadequate aux voltage.

It may read 12.6 OCV, but it is getting pulled too low during starting.

i had an aux read 12.7 OCV, but was causing a multitude of faults. i didn't want to believe it, but it was too far gone. Permanent sulfation damage can occur after only 3 days. You might be able to recover with a good 14.4 charging session, but i doubt it.

B142A IGNITION VOLTAGE
Ignition voltage is supplied to the air bag diagnosis sensor unit when the ignition is in the ON position. The air bag diagnosis sensor unit will monitor for low or high ignition voltage.

C1A62 Brake CONTROL MODULE POWER SUPPLY

C1704: Low Tire Pressure

Shift:
P189D MEMORY BACK UP VOLTAGE [ELECTRIC SHIFT]
memory power supply voltage low

Thanks for the great info, I was getting a little worried with all these codes...
I'm leaving town for a few days, so I'll disconnect the battery and connect it to a charger/maintainer while I'm gone.

When I get back I will follow Gerry's advice, clear all the codes and see what happens when I start it with a fully charged battery.

I'll post my results.

Thanks!

valem said:
I ran into this post and since I have a similar question I figured I would ask here rather than start a new thread.

I checked the 12V battery (which I replaced in 2019) and it is around 13V

I have a 2013 SL and the dash used to startup normally, with the typical "bars-go-up-and-down" and then showing the normal dash info.

A few days ago it stopped doing the typical "bars-go-up-and-down" and it hasn't done it anymore, when the dash lights up it is just like when the car is ready to go, completely skipping the "bars-up-and-down" part.

It is not an intermittent thing, it is consistent ... anyone else experienced this before?

One thing I'll note: if you turn off the startup sound "effects" via the console buttons, the displays no longer sweep upon startup. (at least on my car).

I guess it's considered eye-candy to go along with the happy-sounds, to distract nervous people from the clunks and clacks of the relays. If you turn it off I guess Nissan assume you need no entertainment and just want to get straight to the business of driving. ;) I run with the startup sound off.

I notice your startup sound is active, so that's not exactly the scenario but it might be worthwhile to "exercise" that function by turning the effects off, rebooting a couple of times, and then turn the startup sound effects back on, to try another startup. At least it costs nothing but a couple of minutes to try!

Nubo said:
One thing I'll note: if you turn off the startup sound "effects" via the console buttons, the displays no longer sweep upon startup. (at least on my car).

I guess it's considered eye-candy to go along with the happy-sounds, to distract nervous people from the clunks and clacks of the relays. If you turn it off I guess Nissan assume you need no entertainment and just want to get straight to the business of driving. ;) I run with the startup sound off.

I notice your startup sound is active, so that's not exactly the scenario but it might be worthwhile to "exercise" that function by turning the effects off, rebooting a couple of times, and then turn the startup sound effects back on, to try another startup. At least it costs nothing but a couple of minutes to try!

Thanks for the suggestion, and if a fully charged 12V battery and clearing all codes won't do the trick I'll give this a shot via the console buttons...but...
... I have leaf spy and the start up sound was the first thing I disabled when I got the car (which I found extremely unpleasant (i.e. hideous) along with the back up and drive sounds (the high pitch drive sounds pierced my ears...) (well, I think I eliminated all the sounds at once, no particular order to which was the first...) ... anyway...

FYI, the "bulb-up-and-down" check didn't go away for me when I disabled the start up sound with leafspy... I re-enabled it as part of my own troubleshooting before asking for help here.

nlspace said:
All of your errors are related to inadequate aux voltage.

It may read 12.6 OCV, but it is getting pulled too low during starting.

i had an aux read 12.7 OCV, but was causing a multitude of faults. i didn't want to believe it, but it was too far gone. Permanent sulfation damage can occur after only 3 days. You might be able to recover with a good 14.4 charging session, but i doubt it.

It turns out all of this had to do with a low 12v battery.
I disconnected the 12V battery and left it on trickle charge... I had ~13.5V open circuit voltage, and ~13V after connecting the leaf.
Started the car, and the "bulb check" was back... and was able to clear all DTC codes!

https://imgur.com/a/L1whegl

Thanks all !!!

Back