Volkswagen Group Massive Emissions Fraud Scheme

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wwhitney said:
timhebb said:
How would barometric pressure figure into it? As a proxy for altitude?
Maybe the sensors are located in places that could function like an aircraft's airspeed indicator, allowing the car's software to deduce that the airspeed is zero?

Cheers, Wane

I'd speculate that change in barometric pressure (beyond a rate that would be accountable by weather) would cancel the special test mode. I.e., any detection that the car was encountering elevation changes would signal this wasn't a dyno test.

At least, I haven't spotted any pitot tubes on my cars... :)

Valdemar said:
TomT said:
Yes, the EPA caved to the full-size SUV and truck lobby as that is where American manufacturers make a good portion of their profits... One of those diesels normally emits far more than any rigged VW/Audi diesel...

Valdemar said:
What VW did is wrong and there is no excuse for it. But is it just me who thinks that EPA with its more lax rules for trucks and SUVs and V6/V8 happy Americans is at least a little tiny bit hypocritical?

Capitalism at its best...
Perhaps more the soulless corporation--now codified legally personhood with free speech rights in American Law...

I'd argue as a para capitalist (one who believes the evidence that managed market forces--and attempting to account for externalities--with the acceptance of physical limits), that in this case, the human driver of greed is at the fore....

Markets are a tool, as is capital, with no inherent morality. It's the human shortcomings of greed, ignorance, and malfeasance that pop up under any economic system... See pollution and environmental destruction left over from all human economies to some degree.

That said, I can see how an engineer, or rather an entire department, who uses applied science with no moral compass, would simply see nothing wrong with aiming to pass a test. And then the marketing department runs with "clean diesel".. Of course, the big picture is it's all a fraud, but in each departmental segment, each player can justify just doing their job.

More to topic, Honda had a "clean diesel" selling in cars. Humm.... Anyone test that engine and exhaust system....?

timhebb said:
"...This software was able to sense when emissions testing was in progress based on the position of the steering wheel, vehicle speed, the duration of the engine's operation and barometric pressure."
Here is the EPA's letter and Notice of Violation to Volkswagen, confirming the claims reported by CNBC above at the bottom of page 3.

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/documents/vw-nov-caa-09-18-15.pdf

Honda, Mazda, Nissan have all attempted to bring in a diesel vehicle to US - but they didn't. They all figured out that diesel vehicles can't be made compliant to US regulations.

Only VW, apparently, thought they would cheat and sell diesels in US.

Some British, German and other politicians worked hard to make sure their emission testing agencies can't do any kind of ad-hoc testing (that EPA now says it will do). What did they know ?

evnow said:
Honda, Mazda, Nissan have all attempted to bring in a diesel vehicle to US - but they didn't. They all figured out that diesel vehicles can't be made compliant to US regulations. <snip>
I believe you misstate the case. If John Voelcker is correct, VW (and perhaps the others) couldn't make the cars EPA compliant with adequate performance without raising the price of the cars (through more expensive emission controls) to be non-competitive with comparable mass-market gas cars. Assuming that he is correct and another shoe isn't about to drop showing the luxury brands also cheated, higher-end brands like BMW and Mercedes could absorb this extra cost on their cars, because their customers can afford and are willing to pay what is, for them, a much smaller % premium.

That's right - without expensive urea injector they couldn't make the engine complaint. Anyway that is everyone's guess.

Via GCC:
Volkswagen AG to refit diesel vehicles with EA 189 EU5 engines; solution to be presented by end of October
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/09/20150929-vwagabgas.html

Volkswagen AG announced that it will retrofit the some 11 million vehicles equipped with the 2.0-liter EA 189 Euro 5 diesel tainted by the software emissions defeat device. (Earlier post.) New vehicles with EU6 engines currently available are not affected by the cheat, Volkswagen said.

The scope of the retrofit is not yet clear—e.g., software only, or software and new hardware—but Volkswagen and the other Group brands whose vehicles are affected will present the technical solutions and measures to the responsible authorities in October. . . .

An internal Volkswagen evaluation established that a service procedure will be required for some five million vehicles from the Volkswagen Passenger Cars brand out of a total eleven million Group vehicles worldwide. These vehicles from certain models and model years (such as the sixth generation Volkswagen Golf, the seventh generation Volkswagen Passat or the first generation Volkswagen Tiguan) are fitted with Type EA 189 diesel engines.

Other Volkswagen Group brands affected include Audi (2.1 million vehicles worldwide) and Škoda (1.2 million worldwide).

Via GCR:
Supplier Warned VW Of Illegal Diesel ‘Defeat Device’—In 2007
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100251_supplier-warned-vw-of-illegal-diesel-defeat-devicein-2007

The most interesting part of the article to me:
The automaker, in an era of intense cost-cutting, was concerned about the additional cost of exhaust-gas treatment with a urea-based system—the method that all other U.S. market diesels currently use for bringing NOx within legal limits. According to Automotive News, an AdBlue exhaust-treatment system would have cost an extra $335 per vehicle.

That’s about $165 million in extra money spent on over six years on its 492,000 four-cylinder TDI vehicles affected by the scandal—small change next to the billions that they now face in federal fines.

And that’s before the costs of properly fixing the cars, satisfying unhappy customers and class-action lawsuits, and starting to repair the brand.
If that price is accurate, it's amazing, and gives an idea of just how tight the margins and price flexibility are on mass-market cars.

Robert Llewelyn's angry rant on FullyCharged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=8&v=Tb3VioRoV6s

Can Stoaty or else a mod fix the spelling of 'Volkswagen' in the thread title? It's really starting to bug me :roll:

evnow said:
That's right - without expensive urea injector they couldn't make the engine complaint. Anyway that is everyone's guess.

It's more than that since the 2015 version of the car which includes the injection system still does not pass. I could not find any definitive sources for this, but there are many reports of that car being included in the issue.

According to Volkswagen, vehicles sold in other countries with the 1.6 L and 2.0 L 4-cylinder TDI engine known as Type EA189 are also affected. This software is also said to affect EA188 and the 2015 EA288 generation of the four-cylinder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_violations

GRA said:
And remember, these estimates only count direct effects of NOx, not the effects of more smog. So, "probably killed far more people" may be an exaggeration (GM deaths 124) or it may not, depending on the effects of smog.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/health-685158-air-california.html
Based on academic research about the health effects of nitrogen oxides, numbers of vehicles on the road and the miles driven, the affected cars may have killed dozens of people in California and more than 100 nationally.
That number goes up if the defective cars are not fixed or crushed. I don't see how state or federal regulators have any leverage in non-CARB states to force drivers to submit to a performance and MPG reducing recall.

walterbays said:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/health-685158-air-california.html
Based on academic research about the health effects of nitrogen oxides, numbers of vehicles on the road and the miles driven, the affected cars may have killed dozens of people in California and more than 100 nationally.
That number goes up if the defective cars are not fixed or crushed. I don't see how state or federal regulators have any leverage in non-CARB states to force drivers to submit to a performance and MPG reducing recall.
I don't think that's a problem. AIUI, the cars couldn't be certified for sale without the defeat device in operation, and the EPA are the ones who give the certification. I expect they've got all the authority they need. Even if they don't, as a practical matter to begin to restore whatever trust they can in the brand, what choice does VW have but to fix all the cars here in the U.S.? Owners, politicians and the media are all out for VW's blood, so any attempt by VW to do the minimum legally required would just keep the peasants marching on the castle with pitchforks and torches - it would destroy any attempt by VW to re-establish some credibility.

I suppose some owners might choose not to have the work done, but then if they ever want to sell their cars they'd be limited to non-CARB states, and that goes even more so for dealers' willingness to take the cars in trade.

palmermd said:
It's more than that since the 2015 version of the car which includes the injection system still does not pass. I could not find any definitive sources for this, but there are many reports of that car being included in the issue.
Reduction in MPG & power ?

Basically once they got away with cheating, they saw no reason not to cheat. Talk about slippery slope.

walterbays said:
I don't see how state or federal regulators have any leverage in non-CARB states to force drivers to submit to a performance and MPG reducing recall.
EPA and FTC have a lot of legal means. Also, every state has some kind of emission test and I guess means to enforce ...

Apparently it is not a crime to kill American citizens if the murder weapon is what comes out of ICEV tailpipes...

Nor are criminal prosecutions of VW likely elsewhere, according to the WSJ:

Volkswagen May Not Face Environmental Criminal Charges

U.S. probe faces hurdle because auto makers won carve-out in Clean Air Act

WASHINGTON—A Justice Department investigation into whether Volkswagen AG should face criminal charges for cheating on emissions tests highlights what some lawmakers say is a long-standing gap in U.S. environmental law.

Despite the scale of Volkswagen’s behavior—it has admitted using test-evading software in as many as 11 million cars world-wide—the German auto maker may not face an environmental crime charge here, legal experts say. If the Justice Department does pursue a criminal case, it would be the first-ever against an auto maker for skirting emissions standards.

Car companies, with the aid of industry-friendly lawmakers, won a carve-out from criminal penalties in the 1970 Clean Air Act—a loophole that has largely escaped notice in recent years. Prosecutors now are considering alternative legal approaches, such as charging Volkswagen with lying to regulators.

Prosecutors in Germany are investigating former and current Volkswagen executives for fraud in connection with the emissions scandal. Unlike in the U.S., Germany’s criminal code does not provide much corporate liability.

U.S. lawmakers and activists hope the Volkswagen probe will lead to changes to the law, including criminal penalties for emissions violations. “The loophole should be closed so there is a specific penalty for auto manufacturers,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.). “We will be introducing legislation to close the loophole.”

While refineries and other types of major polluters are criminally liable under the Clean Air Act for emissions beyond legal limits, the section of the law that deals with automobiles specifically leaves out any similar provision...
http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-may-not-face-environmental-criminal-charges-1443567204

As quoted in the LA Times, they only want to win "fair and square". Uh huh.... See article or below...

Meanwhile, I've decided if I was a victim of this fraudulent charade, I'd park my POS diesel at the dealer I bought it from, buy a new car, and send a demand letter to VW to compensate me, AND take back the car as their problem... I'd pursue this legally and be willing to take it to the final end out of pocket... I'd encourage others to join me... It'd be akin tricking a religious vegan to eat meat... Making it right could never be done, but they'd have to try to mitigate...

VW and Audi give back Green Car of the Year awards
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84558554/

"...Attempting to make a virtue of a necessity, Audi of America President Scott Keogh said in a statement, "Audi has won hundreds of races and thousands of awards throughout its history. But we only want to win fair and square. Therefore, in light of recent developments, we believe the only right thing to do is to return this important recognition of environmental stewardship."

Volkswagen of America has also agreed to return its award."

In a recent Charlie Rose ep (I listened to it via TiVo the other day, you can watch at http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60622545), some folks discussed the scandal and they all dismissed (or didn't think of) deaths that could attributed to this scandal. IIRC, they couldn't name any direct deaths but seemed to dodge indirect deaths.

One of the guys (who is a VW diesel fan) somewhat incorrect assertions about Prius level emissions when achieving "50 mpg" on the highway. I don't know if he's ignorant about CO2 emissions on fuel type (which has nothing directly to do w/what these EPA tests are measuring) but diesel due to its higher carbon content has higher CO2 emissions per gallon burned: http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=307&t=11. So, even if a diesel (clean or not) got 50 mpg, it would emit more CO2 per mile than a gasoline powered 50 mpg car.

The TWiT podcast reminded me of the irony of Audi's slogan "truth in engineering". :lol: One of the guys at the TWiT podcast was wrong (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6LgXrT4VA) at ~5:14 saying "nobody's done any thorough testing..." on this.

The only conclusion I can make from the article below is that the solution(s) to make these diesels compliant are going to cost a lot of money and leave many or all VW diesel owners unhappy.

Illegal VW diesel emission systems may require 2 solutions

Some experts and U.S. regulators say VW likely will have to come up with two sets of solutions for two different emission-control systems installed on 482,000 U.S. diesel cars from model years 2009-15.

DETROIT -- Volkswagen Group's promise to fix pollution control systems on about 11 million diesel vehicles will involve changes to software, and possibly hardware, that could leave owners with cars that deliver diminished fuel economy and performance or require more maintenance, experts said Tuesday.

VW Group's new CEO, Matthias Mueller, said on Tuesday VW customers would need to have those diesel cars "refitted." The company did not specify what the refitting might entail. Some analysts have said the job could cost more than $6.5 billion.

A former executive of Volkswagen's U.S. operation said Tuesday the company may be required to change only software, and not hardware, to bring older diesel models now deemed illegal into compliance with U.S. emissions standards.

But other experts and U.S. regulators said the German automaker likely will have to come up with two sets of solutions for two different emission-control systems installed on 482,000 U.S. diesel cars from model years 2009-15...

EPA said last week it would take longer to fix older VW diesels from model years 2009-2014 that used the lean NOx traps...

Beginning in 2012, Volkswagen offered the same 2.0 TDI engines with a more sophisticated and expensive emissions control system called Selective Catalytic Reduction. These systems, which debuted on VW's largest car, the Passat, injected a liquid urea solution into the exhaust to break down the nitrogen oxides...

On newer models with the SCR system, Trahan said there were concerns within the company about the urea consumption being so great that it would require separate "fill-ups" every 5,000 miles, rather than the desired 10,000-mile intervals that are typical between engine oil changes.

A software update on the newer diesel models equipped with SCR devices could lead to "reduced vehicle performance and fuel economy and increased urea use," said analyst Kevin Riddell of LMC Automotive. The new software "also will have an impact on resale value and potential marketability," he said.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20150930/COPY/309309964/illegal-vw-diesel-emission-systems-may-require-2-solutions

DK continues to post updates from the European press on what is (IMO) probably the largest environmental crime in the history of the automotive industry.

Who was in on the conspiracy?

Who wasn't...

Large number of VW managers involved in #dieselgate, FAZ says
October 3, 2015 By Bertel Schmitt
http://dailykanban.com/2015/10/large-number-of-vw-managers-involved-in-dieselgate-faz-says/

A large number of Volkswagen executives and managers was involved in #dieselgate, “many more than Volkswagen wanted to admit.” This according to the usually well-informed Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. “The thesis that it all was the work of a few criminal engineers is not tenable,” the FAZ heard from a member of Volkswagen’s Supervisory Board.

And when did it start?

#Dieselgate: Hackenberg in the crosshairs, engineers talk
October 4, 2015 By Bertel Schmitt
http://dailykanban.com/2015/10/dieselgate-hackenberg-in-the-crosshairs-engineers-talk/

Volkswagen’s feared internal morals police, the “Revision,” has first confessions, Bild am Sonntag (German, paywall) reports. According to the paper and the confessing engineers, the cheater software was first installed in 2008. On who’s orders remains unclear, however, various Volkswagen engineers fingered Ulrich Hackenberg, who was VW R&D chief at the time.

Stoaty, maybe you should consider changing the subject line on this thread, unless you think it's accurate to describe VW's actions as "Game (ing) Pollution Testing"?

[MODERATORS NOTE - please do not quote more than a paragraph or so from original sources to avoid violating Copyright and fair use laws and ensure that references to original material are complete. Post edited accordingly. -drees]

Back