Volt production halted

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every dealer I stopped into looking at the Volt last month had 2 or 3 to choose from, the largest dealer in the area had 7 of them. Doesn't matter, I cannot fit into the car, so I am never going to buy a Volt. They need to put that drivetrain in a RESONABLY sized vehicle, larger people just don't fit in the Volt, period. I have no issue getting into my Prius, however.

Kinda knew this was coming when those stories came out a few weeks ago about dealers turning away deliveries. A shame really, as there's nothing wrong with the vehicle and it really would be a good fit for a lot of people's needs... Vertically Gifted Americans such as mitch672 notwithstanding :) (Or should that be notwithsitting?)

=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
Kinda knew this was coming when those stories came out a few weeks ago about dealers turning away deliveries. A shame really, as there's nothing wrong with the vehicle and it really would be a good fit for a lot of people's needs... Vertically Gifted Americans such as mitch672 notwithstanding :) (Or should that be notwithsitting?)

=Smidge=

ROTFLOL! Nope, I am horizontally challenged :)

Note: even though I am "larger" I have no issues getting in or out of my Prius, that was the original point, the Volts design is just too tight, for "larger" people, and many who have considered the Volt just can't do it because it's not easy to get into... Further reducing their potential sales.

Heard this story on local news radio, only thing not mentioned is that they had either a 145 or 154 day supply of these out in dealer lots ... way too much for current demand. Radio did not mention the LEAF but rather it was a 5 week shutdown of the plant making the Volt so sales were disappointing and of course does not bode well for the bailout efforts.

Darn. My car may be one of only 9,000 built. At least I got one while I had the chance. :mrgreen: Now I get to deal with THIS news too. Man it is a good thing I love my car lots and lots. Otherwise I would have quit driving in from all the flack I got during the battery fire debacle. Hopefully the flack from this will be short lived. Gah!

mitch672 said:
ROTFLOL! Nope, I am horizontally challenged :)

I was gonna say that the Volt seemed pretty reasonably sized to me and was then going to suggest that perhaps it was YOU that wasn't reasonably sized. But I didn't want to be rude. Since you said it first (after a fashion)... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can sympathize though. I used to be horizontally challenged until I had gastric bypass surgery (but, let's not hijack this thread with a discussion of that)...

More articles on this, some of which mention supply levels:

From http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/03/gm-stopping-volt-production-for-5-weeks-to-help-reduce-inventory.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
The Chevy Volt pipeline is overflowing. GM is sitting on 6,300 Volts which represents 154 days of inventory at current sales levels and that's no way to sell cars for a profit. As such, GM is shutting down production of the Volt for five weeks beginning on March 19.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46608011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120302/AUTO0103/203020430/1148/auto01/GM-pull-plug-Volt-production-5-weeks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
The Detroit automaker said Friday the second extended shutdown of the plant this year was to address the company's large supply of vehicles.

"We want to maintain the proper inventory levels," said GM spokesman Chris Lee.
The 3.6 million-square-foot plant — opened in 1985 — operates four days a week, 10 hours a day, on one shift employing 1,200 hourly and 130 salaried workers.
The Volt had just 37 fleet sales for the month, said Alan Batey, vice president of Chevrolet sales and service.

Current stock for the Volt is 3,596 units, including demos and what's in the dealer network, Batey said.
From http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/02/autos/volt_production_stopped/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Still, GM (GM, Fortune 500) has more Volts sitting on dealer lots than it has buyers. GM had, in the past, said slow sales were the result of an insufficient supply of cars, not a lack of demand. Now, the carmaker is admitting that supply is no longer the problem.

"We have more than enough to meet our demand," GM spokeswoman Michelle Malcho said.
It's a bit odd that the supply numbers are so different between the articles.

Wow! Really sorry to see this, especially after all of the misinformation that has been flying around about the Volt. Hope this doesn't have any splash damage for the rest of the EV market.

Wow, I was just reading about their sales coming back up last month and now they're shutting production down?

I read that they were just starting to deliver their first HOV Volts and that Europe whom they just started producing for had close to 6000 orders....some of this does not make sense.

I wonder if all those attacks (Fox, GOP limbaugh etc.) on the Volt did alot of this? Once those folks get rid of the Volt there's only one other serious plug-in out there....I hope to goodness they stay away.

Regardless this is not a good thing for the plug-in movement - a very sad day.

I think they just did not like the Ford Focus Electric (FFE) appearing to beat up the LEAF today with it's news so they were trying to take some of the heat off the LEAF. You're welcome. <grin>

From a GM person:
Don't fall for the headlines - media LOVE turning this nugget into more than it is. We have plenty of Volts built and available (even though some dealers may be empty) ... the last thing you want is a saturated market - that is old school way of running a car company. We now build to meet demand. Today we did a full court press to create even more demand! I personally did 40 tv and radio interviews announcing the incentives in CA. Demand will spike! And we'll have cars available. Volt is the most important car we've ever done - no way will we back off!

smkettner said:
Another mark that shows poor management at GM. Just last year they spent money reconfiguring the line to increase production :roll: :shock:
If you were going to error one way or the other which way would be best? You have to love where all the *EVs are sitting now with the gas prices and economy BOTH going up. These companies will be ready including Nissan's plant in TN. You don't think they are nervous about that with the 2012 sales figures so far.

I think non-USA sales for these cars may end up being more significant.

>$8 for gas in the UK.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/world/2012/03/01/ctw-pkg-anderson-fuel-prices-in-uk-vs-us.cnn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Becky Anderson takes a ride around London to show how much fuel costs and an alternative fuel you can get plugged into.

scottf200 said:
smkettner said:
Another mark that shows poor management at GM. Just last year they spent money reconfiguring the line to increase production :roll: :shock:
If you were going to error one way or the other which way would be best? You have to love where all the *EVs are sitting now with the gas prices and economy BOTH going up. These companies will be ready including Nissan's plant in TN. You don't think they are nervous about that with the 2012 sales figures so far.

I think non-USA sales for these cars may end up being more significant.

>$8 for gas in the UK.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/world/2012/03/01/ctw-pkg-anderson-fuel-prices-in-uk-vs-us.cnn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Becky Anderson takes a ride around London to show how much fuel costs and an alternative fuel you can get plugged into.

I would rather be a little short and profitable rather than over capacity losing money on idle plant assets. Does the union still get the employees paid when they do not produce?

Then the same could be said of Nissan, considering their projected TN production capacity versus the apparent demand...
smkettner said:

TomT said:
Then the same could be said of Nissan, considering their projected TN production capacity versus the apparent demand...
smkettner said:
LEAF is sold worldwide. The rest of the world doesn't have a bunch of idiot sticks talking the EV down. Other countries learned in the 1970's it was time to get off gasoline for your transportation fuel. The LEAF will be built in TN and exported to countries who no longer want to be dictated to be OPEC.

The TN plant is not just to produce LEAF. I think even Oppama Nissan does not run 100% LEAF down the line.
And you are right, time will tell. But I doubt the TN line will stop during the first year for 5 weeks.

So does anyone know if this is affecting the price of the Volt on the dealer lot, are they selling significantly under MSRP? I love my LEAF, but I am considering a Volt for next year when we replace my wife's car. We need at least one vehicle that can travel about 400 miles. If they are offering significant discounts, I would consider making the purchase now.

Back