Volvo's proposed new charging standard

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levenkay

I normally tend to stick to established standards and practices where possible, but Volvo, in concert with Eriksson, seems to have come up with a new EV charging proposal that pretty much addresses all the deficiencies I perceive in the LEAF's charging features. It would be great if Nissan could adopt it, I think. How 'bout y'all?

I'm not particularly in favor. I much prefer dealing directly with the entity I'm paying rather than having to get billed through yet another third party (Volvo?). Credit cards and RFID membership cards are bad enough. I'd prefer having a cash payment option, but I doubt it will ever be available.

How does the car communicate to the outside world?

Are you unable to fuel the car when out of cell-coverage area?

Plug into "any" socket, or just speciat e-fuel network "sockets"?

Seems a little short on details. If I charge at a friends house - I get billed for those electrons? How does my friend *not* get billed also for those same electrons (or whoever owns that outlet). Doesn't seem that hard to charge me for charging anywhere, but it seems quite a task to remove electrons from someone else's meter.

This thread prompted me to search on the Volvo EV and I came across this:

The climate control in the passenger cabin features a bioethanol-powered heater, a solution chosen by Volvo to get heating without compromising the battery driving range, but the driver has the option to run the climate unit on electricity from the batteries.

It might not be a "charging-the-car" standard, but a standard for charging-the-owner for charging-the-car.

Seems to me that there are a lot of missing pieces.

So, perhaps just another "anybody-want-to-invest" scheme?

garygid said:
How does the car communicate to the outside world?

Are you unable to fuel the car when out of cell-coverage area?

Plug into "any" socket, or just speciat e-fuel network "sockets"?
I'd imagine it would be through the EVSE cord. Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but I'm hopeful that there's a clever way to modulate the signal that conveys the EVSE's current capacity so as to (slowly) communicate other data - like, "What's this car's ID? (maybe VIN, maybe some other number). I agree it would be better to have more positive knowledge of which EVSE was connected than a potentially flaky or inadequately receiving GPS would give.

Back