VSP for Halloween

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aminorjourney

So here's a challenge for you all.

Can anyone build a scary LEAF mod for Halloween, complete with synthesis or sampler, to play an appropriately ghoulish sound from the car's build-in VSP speaker?

My thought was maybe to disconnect the VSP system all together, and then use something like a Raspberry Pi running Pygame to play sounds through the VSP speaker, appropriately amplified of course.

The two challenges to this would be getting the correct amplification for the speaker (not sure what it's specs are..) and figuring out a way to trigger it. Putting in a DPDT relay would of course make it possible to switch from a sound generator to default VSP.

I'm sure, however, that someone out here is far more clever, perhaps using vehicle speed from ODBII to trigger a ghoulish, rising "woooooooOOOOOooo!" when the car pulls away. The faster the speed, the louder it gets?

For maximum effect, you'd need to be able to switch it off...

I'm just riffing, but having seen this frankly hilarious video from Norway....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7A9Y5dwPHI[/youtube]

... and with Halloween just around the corner, it got me thinking...

Anyone think they can do it?

I could not only think of several funnier things than that dumbass video before watching it, I actually expected at least one of them in it.

* Race car engine sound.

* Roaring lion sound.

* Loud farting sound. (Not funny to me, but still funnier than their gag.)

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Still want the Jetson's car sound.
Same here! I'm half tempted to just build a tiny board which plays the sound based on speed, but need to figure out a way of interfacing the VSP speaker without killing the other sounds generated by the car (such as the lock sound, plug-in sound, etc.), and detect speed, preferable without using the OBDII interface.

We should probably start a thread, maybe if enough of us express interest, we can combine our resources to make this happen.

Back