water pump problem in 2013 leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaajack42

so I asked for some advice in a water pump 2012 topic area and go nothing useful. the 2013 t0 17 water pump is not the same. any info out there on a 2013 water pump replacement?

I'm going to approve this topic, but don't expect to get better results- pretty much everyone reads new posts, so the relative silence means that no one who is coming here at the moment has the info you need. Give it time.

FWIW...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg6ENpNWtVQ

The correct part number, for the water pump that cools the inverter circuit, is 21581-3NF0A

thanks for the "fwiw" link. the 2013 leaf pump has a mount bracket that mounts vertical on the forward 'wall' of the motor compartment, below the pump, so the mounting screws are hidden and need to be removed in a 'blind' maneuver. i was wondering if there was some kind on access panel that allows a view of the screws. i ended up removing it blind. screws are 10mm hex head, 6x1 metric thread.

What I did was slide the pump out of the rubber mount. Did it all from under the hood. My bad pump had the high speed fail. Had a hard time charging to full, kept shutting off before it reached 80 %, guess something was overheating.

Hi

I've read all these water pumps threads so many times now my head is spinning. :lol:

I have the water pump 1 failure per LeafSpy on a 2013 Leaf SV. Can someone confirm for me on the 2013 Leaf, is Pump 1 the one on the passenger side? I see on threads that there are changes from 2012 to 2013.

Also, is this pump only used to cool the inverter while charging? Can I still theoretically drive it on trips without issue for the next 10 days or so or should I leave it parked?

I have a new pump on the way.

Thanks!

Dorfman, on my 13 S model I had the DTC code" water pump 1 EVC-314" and it was on the passenger side near the bottom of the radiator. Hope this helps.

gaajack42 said:
thanks for the "fwiw" link. the 2013 leaf pump has a mount bracket that mounts vertical on the forward 'wall' of the motor compartment, below the pump, so the mounting screws are hidden and need to be removed in a 'blind' maneuver. i was wondering if there was some kind on access panel that allows a view of the screws. i ended up removing it blind. screws are 10mm hex head, 6x1 metric thread.

I was able to get to these two bolts by taking off the passenger side tire and popping out the front part of the wheel well rubber/plastic. There were several plastic clips to remove and three bolts under the bumper to remove to pull out enough of the wheel well to see the water pump. I then could use a ratchet with an extension to get to the 10mm bolts holding the water pump mount.

All I could do from there was remove the mounting bolts, though. I could not unplug the electrical connection or remove hoses from there due to how tight it was. From the top side, I removed the water tank to make enough room to reach down and unplug the water pump. With the pump unplugged, I slid it out of the rubber piece that holds the motor to the mounting plate (I did this because the electrical connector was attached to the mounting plate and I was worried about damaging the wires trying to cut it loose). Now I could pull the entire pump up and disconnect the hoses. Did everything in reverse to put in the replacement pump. I was able to do it all without loosing too much coolant (turkey basted out the coolant in the tank and from the hoses as I went). Added new coolant when done of course to replace what was lost. The pump I used was $180 from ebay for an off brand pump.

Back