What is Your Best Long Term Average M/KWh on Dash?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though my mediocre 4.1m/kWh self has to give kudos to those of you with higher efficiencies, I've also got to warn you not to scare off potential LEAF buyers amongst the general public. Just as is the case with my "loud pipes save lives" motorcycling brethren, the "slow cars save gas" mantra might be doing more to negatively affect the opinion of the motoring public than to improve general efficiencies. I know if I was an average American driving down the road and the only times I saw a LEAF was when they were traveling below the speed limit and accelerating from traffic lights like a slug, I would seriously have to reconsider why I'd want such an under-powered, over-priced and generally "po-dunky" car. I'm not suggesting drag-racing from every streetlight (though the occasional tire chirp IS fun :D ), just keep in mind that we're trying to get all Americans to drink the EV Kool-Aid, not just those of us already green enough to start asking questions of LEAF owners at the local Earth Day festival. That conversion will only start when people see EVs doing everyday car things and start to realize that hey, that Nissan doesn't look half bad and it looks like it can do everything I'd ask it to...

Again, I think 5.7 is AMAZING so hats off to you!

davewill said:
I acknowledged that. I simply don't believe that anyone who accelerates faster doesn't also end up braking harder a lot of the time.

If you are saying that most people who accelerate hard also pay no attention to their speed, that is probably true. Sad, but true. I tend to monitor everything. I guess I should have said that the rate of acceleration for me is not a big factor because I monitor my target speed closely.

DaveinOlyWA said:
its like others have stated. when the average speed on a 40 mph hour road is 30 mph that means getting in a hurry to get to 40 mph is not providing a benefit.

I certainly agree with that, and I wasn't suggesting accelerating to a higher speed that optimal for the conditions, but you can either take 10 seconds to get to 30 mph, or you can take 5 seconds to get to 30 mph. As long as you level off at 30 mph, the efficiency difference is negligible, but the other cars around you will probably appreciate you more if you blend in quickly...

As a previous poster said, no point in giving EVs a bad name, especially if you're not even getting anything out of it!

SparkyEV said:
davewill said:
I acknowledged that. I simply don't believe that anyone who accelerates faster doesn't also end up braking harder a lot of the time.

If you are saying that most people who accelerate hard also pay no attention to their speed, that is probably true. Sad, but true. I tend to monitor everything. I guess I should have said that the rate of acceleration for me is not a big factor because I monitor my target speed closely.
No. I'm saying that someone who accelerates quickly to 30 (the speed limit) and then sees traffic ahead has to brake harder than someone who accelerated slower and only reached 25 before seeing traffic ahead.

When I picked up the car back in May the dash said 5.2 KWH with 20 miles on it ,doing the next 4 weeks i got it up to 5.8..It now down to 5.7 with the AC going..
My goal this winter is to avg 6 + and get one 150 mile trip on a charge....

mark13 said:
My goal this winter is to avg 6 + and get one 150 mile trip on a charge....
That would be quite a feat, since Nissan says 138 miles at 38 MPH and someone tested and got 130+ miles going the same speed.

That would not include coasting tho..Last spring thar car told me it wanted to do it but then the hot temps. showed up

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60416291@N00/5720263630/in/photostream

Back