What's new for 2020?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
They need vents in the back more than USB ports.

I think they need more Leafs in Dealer parking lots. How can the public make decisions to buy one if the Leaf (any model) is more rare than a color TV in 1960... Each dealer only has... 1? 2? in the SL version only?

powersurge said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

I think they need more Leafs in Dealer parking lots. How can the public make decisions to buy one if the Leaf (any model) is more rare than a color TV in 1960... Each dealer only has... 1? 2? in the SL version only?

Down to 67 total in the country. (Canada) All 2019’s.
1198 bolts though. Including some 2020’s.

powersurge said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

It really depends on where you are. My closest dealer still has five SV plus models.

https://www.avnissan.com/inventory/new-Nissan-leaf/

And several of the kia dealers down in LA have close to 10 each of the Niro EV.

danrjones said:
powersurge said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

It really depends on where you are. My closest dealer still has five SV plus models.

https://www.avnissan.com/inventory/new-Nissan-leaf/

And several of the kia dealers down in LA have close to 10 each of the Niro EV.

Yes. The low inventory numbers seem Canada centric. Looks like they hit a few 2019 pluses in. Maybe half a dozen in the country.

Still showing 19 leafs in BC total.

danrjones said:
How big a penalty is there if you buy a vehicle in the states and bring it up to Canada to register?

You would lose the incentive which is taken off at purchase point. It is not a tax incentive. It’s straight cash taken off at point of sale. (After sales tax). In BC that is 5000 federal and 3000 provincial. Other than that it’s just exchange. No duty. 220 ish bucks for importation and inspection. People do it with used leafs all the time.

webeleafowners said:
danrjones said:
How big a penalty is there if you buy a vehicle in the states and bring it up to Canada to register?

You would lose the incentive which is taken off at purchase point. It is not a tax incentive. It’s straight cash taken off at point of sale. (After sales tax). In BC that is 5000 federal and 3000 provincial. Other than that it’s just exchange. No duty. 220 ish bucks for importation and inspection. People do it with used leafs all the time.

Interesting. But I think I would want those 8000 in credits. So that would not really work. Used it might make a lot more sense if those credits are for new only.

That's one of my big gripes here in both California and the US in general is that the incentives are geared for new. Out of the 14000 I got on my 2018 only a $1000 of that was new or used, the rest was new only. I really think if more was also geared for used that the "average" american could then perhaps afford their first EV, even if it is used. Right now EVs are aimed at the rich or upper middle class, and that doesn't help politically in the current climate. The current admin has no love of green energy or EVs and giving them cannon fodder to paint EVs and a rich toy feeds right into their populism brand and their base.

danrjones said:
webeleafowners said:
danrjones said:

Interesting. But I think I would want those 8000 in credits. So that would not really work. Used it might make a lot more sense if those credits are for new only.

That's one of my big gripes here in both California and the US in general is that the incentives are geared for new. Out of the 14000 I got on my 2018 only a $1000 of that was new or used, the rest was new only. I really think if more was also geared for used that the "average" american could then perhaps afford their first EV, even if it is used. Right now EVs are aimed at the rich or upper middle class, and that doesn't help politically in the current climate. The current admin has no love of green energy or EVs and giving them cannon fodder to paint EVs and a rich toy feeds right into their populism brand and their base.

To be clear, the incentives are just for new. I believe there is an incentive for used but don’t know what it is.

That is a teaser for a concept car that isn't officially slated for production. We should have known that you've been bragging about a concept car built to demonstrate various subsystems. It may or may not get built in some form, some time, but it isn't "the next platform." You are the only one calling it that.

LeftieBiker said:
That is a teaser for a concept car that isn't officially slated for production. We should have known that you've been bragging about a concept car built to demonstrate various subsystems. It may or may not get built in some form, some time, but it isn't "the next platform." You are the only one calling it that.

Even if it IS, or eventually is, it's way too expensive. For that price why wouldn't you get a Tesla?

I'm more watching vw and the ID4 as a more mass market EV since it appears Nissan wants to go after the wealthy. Ford and Tesla are going to beat them to that crossover market anyway.

While I love our Leaf Plus, and it’s a great longer distance Value EV with better than average storage, Nissan misunderstands their brand to go after a growingly more crowded Luxury EV space. It’s business people in stuffy rooms not connected to their customer.

They should follow Ford, set msrp to invoice;
Bring the 40 down to 27K and Plus to 32.5K and own the value space. With a post federal rebate price below 20, they would sell really well.

Me too, for what it is and the price I paid, my leaf is great

But the reports out awhile ago were putting the Ariya at 55k to 75k. No thanks.

I can see why there is confusion over the Ariya: various auto magazines and web-zines have decided to get readership bumps by declaring, with no hard evidence, that Nissan will be building the car soon. I won't be shocked if they do, but I'm fairly sure (also without hard evidence) that this design will be scaled back for any new platform, and that the interior will go from a 'design student special' to something much more mundane and practical. And let's face it: if Nissan were already building prototypes of a liquid-cooled pack, it's pretty likely that we'd know about it. As it is, that "next platform" likely holds a 2019 62kwh un-cooled pack...

On the price it may depend on where y you live and incentives. Perhaps Nissan will still have credits if the concept ever gets produced. For example here in Colorado in the US for some reason Xcel (our power company) offers a rebate on Leafs and Mitsubishi Outlanders. no GM, no Tesla, nothing else at all only those two. The leaf has a full federal rebate, the Tesla used theirs up, so did GM.
Tesla the price you see is the price you pay, a lot of nice things to say about that actually but dealerships have sales and you can shop offers around to different dealers to get your price down (I always do this). So there is over 10k in discounts/rebates you do not get on a Tesla at least in Colorado (US Fed 7500, xcel 3500 or 2500 depending on which leaf, and dealership discounts). As you may begin to see while incentives are in place the price differential can be significant.

Speaking of Xcel Boulder Nissan told me today xcel did just renew those discounts, I do not see it on xcel's web site yet.

I also agree that Nissan should not try to compete with Tesla or any other high end offering, I'd rather have a more mid range. I also do not want to spend 50k on a car.

salyavin said:
The leaf has a full federal rebate, the Tesla used theirs up, so did GM.
There is no Federal "rebate". There is a Federal tax credit on qualifying new EVs/PHEVs. Yes, that is gone on Teslas but not yet on GM vehicles. It's still $1875 on GM EVs/PHEVs: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml.

Yea using CG makes it pretty clear the car will not be produced this year and probably not next year. Perhaps the year after next if it comes to being. At that time I expect plenty of choices beyond what we have available now, that will be some serious competition for them.

DougWantsALeaf said:
So little passion to compete.. their best option is an AWD Leaf and some tweaked Powertrain to up mileage a bit.

Speaking of which: I wonder if the Ariya and that tweaked AWD Leaf are in fact the same car under different skins, with different interiors...

Back