Where, oh where are the Level 3 L3 chargers???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawh

i live in northern california.

my car can take the L3 charger-- but i have never seen one. are they apocryphal??

this is the charger that will allow me to journey 80 miles away without any fear. fear that i won't have time to charge. fear that someone else will be charging for 2 hours while i need to charge.

in sonoma county, my home, they have budgeted to put in 12 chargers-- but none are going to be L3. it seems to me that even 5 chargers plus JUST ONE L3 chargers would be more helpful to others who travel through our area.

for me-- i would LOVE to see a L3 available to me in san francisco downtown or just off the freeway in Marin county.

anyone out there know anyone with any money/power/authority?? when will we see some L3 chargers out there?? (i adore my leaf-- but definitely would have thought twice if i had known that all the chargers out there for travelers would be L2.)
kawh, sebastopol, ca

I've gotten to the point where I'd pretty much trade all of the L2 chargers we have up here (hundreds) for even a handful of L3's. I can't help but feel like the rapid placement of L2's has actually obscured the issue. People see L2 chargers going in and think it's great, like progress is being made. the first big push in public charging should, IMHO, be L3/QC while we still have officials attention and can get the funding. I highly recommend calling your representative and letting them know slow L2's aren't going to do it for you, tell them you want the focus to be on fast chargers, even if it's a lot fewer of them!

There is one operational now at the Stanford Shopping center in Palo Alto. Check out this thread for details. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5692&start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I started a thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=154852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; asking the status awhile ago.
MaryC said:
There is one operational now at the Stanford Shopping center in Palo Alto. Check out this thread for details. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5692&start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The above is the only one I know of that's currently operational and available to the public in Nor Cal.

Perhaps two or all of these threads should be merged into a thread w/something about SF Bay Area/Nor Cal in the title.

It is the same thing here in Houston Texas. I see L2s spread out all over- and many priced @ the equivalent of ~ 150-200% the price of a gallon of gasoline- but so far only a few inconveniently placed L3s. There needs to be an L3 roughly every 20 miles within a network or EV travel is going to remain stunted. I would be driving a 2nd Leaf by now if the network were here, but as things stand I have to continue driving the Prius for work.

In Charlotte, NC, I know of zero L3's.
Just means you have to have a book with you if you stop at the L2's. Or plan to spend the day shopping. :shock:

Amen to the originator of this post. In Arizona we were promised quick chargers a year ago. Three quick chargers between Tucson and Phoenix would connect 80% of the state population. We don't need a lot of chargers in a metropolitan area, how far can you go in heavy traffic? My "dream deferred" is to take a vacation trip around the country in my Leaf. Quick chargers at 40 mile intervals on Interstates would make electric cars more popular.

One of the biggest reasons is because Nissan required their dealers to have one in the EU but not in the states...

coqui said:
QC's are all over the EU. Is that what it takes? $8 gas? Why? Just do it now :mrgreen:

Santa Rosa Nissan is in the process of installing a Level III charger. I encourage you to attend the May 12 meeting of the North Bay Electric Auto Association which will be held at Santa Rosa Nissan and will have a presentation about all aspects of charging EVs. Also, the County is just starting to install 135 new Level II chargers throughout the County. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].

Back