EV Duty Burnt Contacts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrub442

Hi, I had an error code 32 on my charger (Elmec EV Duty EV30) and after trying other L2 chargers in my area, determined that it didn't seem to be the car (2018 LEAF). Elmec seemed to think that it was due to burnt contacts inside the ELmec plug - sure enough, there was burn marks inside the contacts - see picture. The car or charger recognizes that there is resistance and stops the charge. This was consistent with what I was seeing - it would start charging for a minute or so, then stop with the error.
Elmec sent me a replacement plug and cable assembly, no charge, which makes me think this may be a known issue....the new plug looks like a newer design.
Anyway, they suggested that I ensure that the charging has stopped before pulling the connector out from the car, and I'm not sure how to do this. The LEAF manual says to stop charging to just pull the connector out, but this is what would have caused the arc and burning of the connector. Anyone know of a way to stop the charge on the car before pulling the connector? Hoping to avoid the issue in the future.
Thanks,

Attachments

• connector.JPG
    connector.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 0
Does the handle of your EVSE plug have a trigger (Usually to release the locking clip)?

Pressing the trigger causes the OBC to reduce current to zero, such as in an OFF condition, then you can withdraw the plug.

If you have no trigger then you might be able to stop charging from inside the car with the charge timer button? Otherwise you would need some way to turn OFF the charging before you disconnect.

There may be a way to use Laefspy to monitor the charging current, then press the trigger and notice if the current drops while you are holding the trigger. If it doesn't then you need to find another way.

Does the handle of your EVSE plug have a trigger (Usually to release the locking clip)?

Pressing the trigger causes the OBC to reduce current to zero, such as in an OFF condition, then you can withdraw the plug.

If you have no trigger then you might be able to stop charging from inside the car with the charge timer button? Otherwise you would need some way to turn OFF the charging before you disconnect.

There may be a way to use Laefspy to monitor the charging current, then press the trigger and notice if the current drops while you are holding the trigger. If it doesn't then you need to find another way.
It does have a locking trigger on the top of the plug - I usually have the car lock the charger on with the slide connector lock. Are you saying that the car can sense the trigger press and stop charging? I'll check that out, thanks!
I'm also going to look into whether I can trigger the charging unit itself to stop the charge as well.

Back