Which Level 2 EVSE should I get??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
The complaint about the SPX units (both the wall mounted and Voltec units) is that their construction is a bit flimsy, for example the Voltec only uses #14 AWG wire..

This is true - the wire is pretty thin for 15A. However, it is up to code (bare minimum). I guess this is a case of "what do you think of a person who only does the bare minimum...". If #14 AWG was not enough for 15A, then the minimum should be #12, or larger. As for the construction, the plastic enclosure is plenty rugged for installation inside a garage. It's rated for outside use as well, but I may question that....

cwerdna said:
thedak said:
The EVlink is the nicest charger for the money IMO
It's not a charger. It's an EVSE.

The charger's inside your car, under the hump in the back. (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

:roll:

I would avoid AeroVironment (http://www.avinc.com). My AV station is 11 months old now and fails about once a week, sometimes more often. By "fails" I mean charging stops and the trouble light illuminates; it can only be manually reset by cutting off the circuit breaker to the unit. Very surprising/annoying when this happens during overnight charge cycles and my LEAF doesn't get charged. Despite repeated calls to AV and Nissan, nothing has been resolved to date.

I know others in the forum have had good luck...that hasn't been my experience. And, my unit was professionally installed through the Nissan LEAF website about one month before my LEAF was delivered.

BlacklickBob said:
I would avoid AeroVironment (http://www.avinc.com). My AV station is 11 months old now and fails about once a week, sometimes more often. By "fails" I mean charging stops and the trouble light illuminates; it can only be manually reset by cutting off the circuit breaker to the unit. Very surprising/annoying when this happens during overnight charge cycles and my LEAF doesn't get charged. Despite repeated calls to AV and Nissan, nothing has been resolved to date.

I know others in the forum have had good luck...that hasn't been my experience. And, my unit was professionally installed through the Nissan LEAF website about one month before my LEAF was delivered.
If you paid full pop you should get white glove concierge warranty service by simply lifting the phone. Three year warranty yes? I would have called at the first hint of trouble.

Absolutely agree, and I did. And many times since. And to Nissan's LEAF folks as well. Couldn't be more disappointed in the way both Nissan and AV have reacted. Can't wait to get a different brand charging station for that Tesla!

BlacklickBob said:
Absolutely agree, and I did. And many times since. And to Nissan's LEAF folks as well. Couldn't be more disappointed in the way both Nissan and AV have reacted.
That is absolutely shocking. At least they are consistent with their approach to the various problems owners have encountered.

I've been charging with the Schneider EVLink wall unit since May with no problems or faults.

Naturally I am biased since I am a Schneider Engineer on a EVSE design team : )

GetOffYourGas said:
Herm said:
The complaint about the SPX units (both the wall mounted and Voltec units) is that their construction is a bit flimsy, for example the Voltec only uses #14 AWG wire..

This is true - the wire is pretty thin for 15A. However, it is up to code (bare minimum). I guess this is a case of "what do you think of a person who only does the bare minimum...". If #14 AWG was not enough for 15A, then the minimum should be #12, or larger. As for the construction, the plastic enclosure is plenty rugged for installation inside a garage. It's rated for outside use as well, but I may question that....
I have been using the SPX set for the default 30A for the last year. Have not had any problems yet. Of course I don't use a stop timer only street. I have it mounter on the wall and have no problem with the build quality. My charge cable is not #14 AWG.

Pretty satisfied with our Leviton. The powder-coated steel enclosure seems built like a tank, the cable is like an anaconda, and has a Yazaki J-plug. And that's the 16amp version. They make a 32amp unit if you want to future-proof.

No fancy display, no WiFi, no Ethernet, no USB. No firmware issues. Pretty boring. It just works.

For me personally the certification is worth the money I'd save with an OpenEVSE homebrew unit. Ymmv.

Made in USA.

Back