White House May Seek to set 2025 CAFE Standards up to 62 mpg

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, only first 200K EVs will be counted as zero emission.

http://evsandenergy.blogspot.com/2010/04/fairness-in-epa-aka-american-way.html

Then they will start using emissions from power sources.

planet4ever said:
garygid said:
If they sell 100 ICEs at 25 mpg, and 100 EVs at 1,000,000,000 mpg (no gas), how does that average out?
50 mpg. As JPVLeaf pointed out, you "average" by using the harmonic mean. It's really not all that complicated.
2/(1/25 + 0) = 50
Yes, it was interesting to learn that they use the harmonic mean. After plugging in numbers, you realize just what it would take for an auto mfg such as Nissan to get to a CAFE level of 62 mpg. EV's, hybrids and high-mileage ICEs would have to make up a majority of their cars produced. As in this example, even selling 50% EVs 'only' gets you to 50 mpg-CAFE. I hope it'll get there.

JPVLeaf said:
hodad66 said:
No matter what the Dems do the Pugs will un-do just like Ronny did in days gone by........
Yeah, but thankfully things have changed some in 30 yrs. If the solar pv panels go back up on the WH, me thinks they'll likely have a better chance of staying this time ... even IF Ronny rolls over in his grave. ;)
Looks like the White House is planning to install a new solar PV system and solar water heating on the White House by Spring 2011 after all. Good news. Let's hope they stay up this time.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/10/05/white.house.solar.power/

Also, interesting tid-bit below about solar equipment installed under GWBush.

Solar panels and a solar hot water heater will soon be installed at the White House, Energy Secretary Steven Chu said Tuesday. Chu announced the conversion at the 2010 GreenGov Symposium in Washington, accompanied by Nancy Sutley, chairwoman of the Council of Environmental Quality.

"This project reflects President Obama's strong commitment to U.S. leadership in solar energy and the jobs it will create here at home," Chu said in a written statement released by the Energy Department. "Deploying solar energy technologies across the country will help America lead the global economy for years to come."

(text omitted)

"This is not the first time solar energy has been tapped at the White House. Former President Jimmy Carter had solar panels installed on the roof of the White House residence during his term. They were removed during the Reagan administration. Former President George W. Bush also used solar energy to help power a maintenance building on the White House grounds, and to assist in heating the swimming pool there.

The announcement comes on the one-year anniversary af an executive order signed by the president that called on the federal government to lead in the establishment of a clean energy economy."

Back