Wholesale value of the 2013 Leaf @Auction-March '18

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tractioninc said:
I'm in the market for a '13 as well. Do you already have a leaf? If not, you may find this thread on battery life worth reading: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789&p=415338#p415338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, I'm just going to replace my 2013 SV lease with an SL until the Outlander PHEV makes it to this side of the pond.

OrientExpress said:
caffeinekid said:
The way I see it- as long as Nissan sets a floor at auctions for lease returns, the wholesale value is artificially inflated.

All LEAFS are sold at auction with no reserve.
If they are, what's to stop them starting the bidding at $10k? Do they really start a car auction at $1 and work up from there?

knightmb said:
OrientExpress said:
caffeinekid said:
The way I see it- as long as Nissan sets a floor at auctions for lease returns, the wholesale value is artificially inflated.

If they are, what's to stop them starting the bidding at $10k? Do they really start a car auction at $1 and work up from there?
No. As you point out, they have a minimum set for bidding. So saying it is a "no reserve" auction is misleading and has no bearing on my point that the wholesale prices are inflated.

caffeinekid said:
No. As you point out, they have a minimum set for bidding. So saying it is a "no reserve" auction is misleading and has no bearing on my point that the wholesale prices are inflated.
This makes zero sense.

Irrespective of whether there is reserve price or not - if the cars are getting sold, the prices are not "inflated". The prices may be more than I or you might pay - but that is not what is usually meant by "inflated" price.

I just turned in my 2013 after 24 month lease. $4,000 off my residual was not enough. I would have bought it if they had given me 5,000. That would have brought it to $17,800 which is still high, but it was my own car and had low mileage.

TimLee said:
SteveInSeattle said:
...$4,000 off my residual was not enough. ...
Some reported they were offering more.
Did it change or was that only on 2012?

I was offered $6,000 off my 2012. But that offer expired at the end of February. NMAC hasn't made me a new offer, since.

I'm turning mine in in about 8 weeks, so they are running out of time if they want to give me a better deal.

OrientExpress said:
caffeinekid said:

I respectfully disagree with this blanket assertion :)

I regularly attend an auction where Nissan and Honda sell a lot of their lease return vehicles, and if there were no reserve, I would have bought a few Leafs by now! Many go through the line without hitting the reserve price set by NMAC, and so they are a NO SALE.

martyv said:
I regularly attend an auction where Nissan and Honda sell a lot of their lease return vehicles, and if there were no reserve, I would have bought a few Leafs by now! Many go through the line without hitting the reserve price set by NMAC, and so they are a NO SALE.
It could be that it varies by state or region. Any idea what the reserve was set at on these vehicles ?

martyv said:
OrientExpress said:
caffeinekid said:

Absolutely. This was and remains my point. If you start an auction at a certain price, set a reserve or otherwise set a floor, you have inflated the value. Period.

caffeinekid said:
martyv said:
OrientExpress said:

Absolutely. This was and remains my point. If you start an auction at a certain price, set a reserve or otherwise set a floor, you have inflated the value. Period.

However as that quote speaks to they didn't sell. So it isn't inflating the price because the price wasn't paid. Eventually Nissan will have to lower the reserve or they will continue to go unsold. At which point they have reached the true value.

MikeinDenver said:
martyv said:
OrientExpress said:

However as that quote speaks to they didn't sell. So it isn't inflating the price because the price wasn't paid. Eventually Nissan will have to lower the reserve or they will continue to go unsold. At which point they have reached the true value.
Creating value through artificial scarcity is nothing new. Yes, eventually the costs of holding these vehicles will mandate that they lower their reserve, but in the meantime the vehicles are not available in the marketplace, inflating the market value of the ones that are.

caffeinekid said:
Creating value through artificial scarcity is nothing new. Yes, eventually the costs of holding these vehicles will mandate that they lower their reserve, but in the meantime the vehicles are not available in the marketplace, inflating the market value of the ones that are.
Absolutely correct.
NMAC is a very large player in the used LEAF market.
They are probably >90% of what is available at auction.
They are attempting to slow the decline of the used LEAF market valuation.

Of course it is costing something for the $ they have tied up in what they don't sell.
Plus their valuation drops with time too.
Probably a tricky economic analysis for them to determine their optimal minimum selling price.
Plus they have to figure out best place to park them.
Maybe cold dry Canadian desert would be a good choice :?:

TimLee said:
caffeinekid said:
Absolutely correct.
NMAC is a very large player in the used LEAF market.
They are probably >90% of what is available at auction.
They are attempting to slow the decline of the used LEAF market valuation.

Of course it is costing something for the $ they have tied up in what they don't sell.
Plus their valuation drops with time too.
Probably a tricky economic analysis for them to determine their optimal minimum selling price.
Plus they have to figure out best place to park them.
Maybe cold dry Canadian desert would be a good choice :?:
:lol: Canada sound about right.

Here are the wholesale and projected retail values for a 2013 LEAF SL as of April 8, 2015

2013_LEAF_SL_Wholesale_4-13-15.jpg

So the data set has grown from 5 to 42 sales, but the average sale price has dropped by $1,000 from last month. Just-off-lease 24 month old Leafs continue to be the best bargain going.

Back