Will you cancel your purchase without a capacity warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
linkim said:
Keep in mind that the Sandia report is for Li-ion batterie that use a positive electrode of LiFePO4 and the Mn-based electrode. LiFePO4 shows very stable cycle performance so the results may not be very useful for the LEAF battery.
The Sandia report was presented ONLY because it provides details of the hybrid power pulse test. If you read up a few posts, we were talking about the significance of (actually lack of significance...) info on a battery tailored to hybrid use.

There are data on pulse power, cycle life, etc. on Li-ion batteries for HEVs that are generated by the DOE national labs. The problem is gaining access to the information, unless it is published in the open technical publications. One of the DOE programs looked specifically at HEV batteries and involved a number of national labs (INEL, ANL, LBNL, SNL) working on the same battery chemistry, and conducting post-test analysis of the batteries after subjecting them to various testing protocols. In addition, NREL has evaluated a number of HEVs and EVs for DOE.

Some of the available info's linked in the reference docs section, others are scattered thru the forum in places like this:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=352

The Sandia paper is an example of one that's not in general circulation. I import cells from Phoenix Silicon International - the manufacturer of the cells Sandia tested - and that's how I acquired that doc.

What I'd really like to have is similar info from AESC and a couple of raw Leaf cells. Cells will probably not be easily obtainable until someone wrecks a Leaf or until cells and/or modules show up in the parts system.

AndyH said:
What I'd really like to have is similar info from AESC and a couple of raw Leaf cells. Cells will probably not be easily obtainable until someone wrecks a Leaf or until cells and/or modules show up in the parts system.
Don't know why it is ... but I usually find these kinds of goodies first available on ebay (usually one of the asian ones). sad, strange, but often true

What we need here is for someone to report the first time that one of the capacity icons on the dash goes out. Then we can look at what type of treatment the owner used on the batteries and can have a better idea of what to expect. That is, what type of treatment lowers the capacity? If it was strenuous that's one thing, if it was well taken care of then that is another thing. Let's all stay tuned.

Back