Will you cancel your purchase without a capacity warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDRIVER

If yes, what would that warranty need to look like? How many years and what capacity level?

ADDED:11/12

The poll is to see if you will not buy or lease period. Some won't want to buy and some won't want to even lease because of concern over reduced range or whatever. The question is about not getting the car at all.

evnow said:
Thats what leasing is for ;)

Leasing does not solve the issue of reduce range and some people that are going to lease still may cancel on range expectations and need.

EVDRIVER said:
Leasing does not solve the issue of reduce range and some people that are going to lease still may cancel on range expectations and need.
I don't expect major capacity reduction in 3 years - so don't care about capacity warranty.

derkraut said:
8yrs/100000mi @ 80% capacity
You aren't getting that. They have been talking about 70% after 8 years - so don't see any possibility of a better warranty than that.

ps : Anyone willing to gaurantee gas price / availability in 2018 ?

No, I'll still purchase. I trust that Nissan has got the battery thing under control, and that capacity will be what they are saying it will be. If it should happen to be that it's not, then I'll endeavor to work around it - hopefully there will never (at least within the warranty period) be a situation where I can't get at least one half of my round trip drive (so 30 miles) done without recharging.

evnow said:
derkraut said:
ps : Anyone willing to gaurantee gas price / availability in 2018 ?

I will speculate that the more successful the Leaf and it's electric brethren are more stable gasoline prices will become. Real competition is great for keeping prices in check. And the EV bashers will suddenly have a reason to love us!

Excerpts from the 2011 Nissan LEAF Warranty booklet.
LITHIUM–ION BATTERY COVERAGE
The Lithium-Ion coverage period is 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship subject to the exclusions listed under the heading "WHAT IS NOT COVERED". This warranty period is 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED

LITHIUM-ION BATTERY
This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting from or caused by:
- Exposing a vehicle to ambient temperatures above 120F (49C) for over 24 hours.
- Storing a vehicle in temperatures below -13F (-25C) for over seven days.
- Leaving your vehicle for over 14 days where the lithium-ion battery reaches a zero or near zero state of charge.
- Physically damaging the lithium-ion battery or intentionally attempting to reduce the life of the lithium-ion battery.
- Exposing the lithium-ion battery to contact with a direct flame.
- Charging the lithium-ion battery full on a daily basis despite the lithium-ion battery keeping a high state of charge level (98-100%).
- Immersing any portion of the lithium-ion battery in water or fluids.
- Opening the lithium-ion battery enclosure or having it serviced by someone other than a Nissan LEAF certified technician.
- Neglecting to follow correct charging procedures.
- Use of incompatible charging devices.
- Consequential damage caused by the failure to repair an existing problem.
GRADUAL CAPACITY LOSS
The Lithium-ion battery (EV battery), like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under this warranty. See your OWNER’S MANUAL for important tips on how to maximize the life and capacity of the “Lithium-ion battery.”

BruinLEAFer said:
GRADUAL CAPACITY LOSS
The Lithium-ion battery (EV battery), like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under this warranty. See your OWNER’S MANUAL for important tips on how to maximize the life and capacity of the “Lithium-ion battery.”

When is a loss in capacity not gradual? Are they providing a capacity loss curve that shows us what normal is and also what is not normal, and would be covered.

palmermd said:
BruinLEAFer said:
GRADUAL CAPACITY LOSS

When is a loss in capacity not gradual? Are they providing a capacity loss curve that shows us what normal is and also what is not normal, and would be covered.

Basically if a cell fails from MFG defect it will be covered as long as it is not abused. Your pack can loos 100% capacity and you are out of luck. Also, those that live in AZ and park in a hot garage may have their warranty voided if the temp exceeds 120 on one day. 120 is not exactly that hot. This warranty only covers defects, that's not very encouraging since that is the bare minimum warranty on most products.

palmermd said:
BruinLEAFer said:
GRADUAL CAPACITY LOSS

according to Nissan and many other professional Sources, factors that will incur a higher loss in capacity:

using the 480 volts quick charge more than twice a day
continuous 100% charging
not depleting the battery pack before charging.

"These 3 factors alone combined and every day could end up with a 50% capacity in just 5 years" quote by a Nissan engineer.

If that is the case, I might have to wait for a better choice. I hope they realize this oversight and correct the warranty to at least cover some type of capacity loss. There could very well be a non-defective pack that loses capacity too fast, but can still power the car, and this should be covered under the warranty.

CampbellNelson said:
continuous 100% charging

"These 3 factors alone combined and every day could end up with a 50% capacity in just 5 years" quote by a Nissan engineer.

These confuse me. I thought you didn't have to let the pack go to zero before charging. And what is continuous 100% charging.

palmermd said:
If that is the case, I might have to wait for a better choice. I hope they realize this oversight and correct the warranty to at least cover some type of capacity loss. There could very well be a non-defective pack that loses capacity too fast, but can still power the car, and this should be covered under the warranty.

It seems like it covers that. I just doesn't cover gradual loss.

I don't get the continuous 100% charging ...
what needs to be avoided ?

1. to recharge everyday, if you only drive 20 miles (as opposed to recharging only every 3 days, after driving 60 miles) ?

OR

2. To leave the car on a charger for a full week without ever disconnecting it / stopping the charge?

I'd say that I don't care about 2, especially with the iphone remote control, but if it's 1. then that's a big problem ... I thought the whole point was to wake up every morning with 100 miles of range ...

CampbellNelson said:
according to Nissan and many other professional Sources, factors that will incur a higher loss in capacity:

using the 480 volts quick charge more than twice a day
continuous 100% charging

Not depleting the pack is not a problem. Not sure where this came from, but the others could be a factor, but few people will need to worry about them.

cdub said:
These confuse me. I thought you didn't have to let the pack go to zero before charging. And what is continuous 100% charging.

Didn't I read in that literature that it was bad to let the pack go all the way down to zero a lot?

Continuous 100% charging....I'm reading that to mean if you persist in charging a battery that has not been substantially discharged.

Back