Young Driver / ECO Lockout

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveMy18Leaf

My 16 yo driver wants my leaf because it’s faster than my other cars, so I’m not too ok with that… unless I could lock in ECO. But the leaf will be perfect for its size and dependability..

I’ve seen different threads about locking out ECO, and most of the comments suggest to leave it alone.

Has anyone successfully disconnected the switch to keep it into ECO only?

Last edited:
My 16 yo driver wants my leaf because it’s faster than my other cars, so I’m not too ok with that… unless I could lock in ECO. But the leaf will be perfect for its size and dependability..
Even if you disconnect the switch to lock it in ECO mode, you can still easily speed in the Leaf by just pressing the pedal further to the floor. All ECO does is increase the regen and increase how far you have to press the pedal to accelerate (to allow for a slower, smoother start from stop). I know there is a different mapping for ECO before someone says it. ;)

But for preventing speeding tickets, ECO will not...

I mean, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible to lock into ECO. If the ECO switch is the absolute only way to dis/engage ECO, then it should be as simple as engaging ECO, popping out the panel that has the switch located on it and hopefully that switch isn't connected to a circuit board directly, like being mounted on it. Which is likely.

If it's wired though, like through a harness, unplug it or otherwise identify the wire that the switch interfaces on, and clip it. Should install some quick dis/connect terminals on the end to put it back together if and when you need to do so.

I’m literally as fast as my neighbors WRX 0 to 60. This would be a great far car from my son if I could just slow it down to maybe 8-10 seconds. No ev torque, less temptation to “have fun”

Maybe I need to screw wooden block in the bottom of the accelerator pedal. Just to takeoff 25% of the travel.

Back in the 60's, unlike now, we were shown not the adrenaline rush of 0-60 (whatever time that might be), but the effects of 60-0 in a small fraction of a second. The film was "Mechanized Death". I paid a fair bit of attention to that one...

Back in the 60's, unlike now, we were shown not the adrenaline rush of 0-60 (whatever time that might be), but the effects of 60-0 in a small fraction of a second. The film was "Mechanized Death". I paid a fair bit of attention to that one...
Point well taken. Found that on YouTube. Very graphic!!!

Point well taken. Found that on YouTube. Very graphic!!!
Graphic it is, it doesn't pull any punches. Its a harsh reality that most are isolated from by most public media. I've had my share of bumps and scrapes, but keeping something like this in the back of your mind while you're "out there in the world" might just keep you in one piece....

Back