LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:16 pm

Regular car manufacturers don't understand what should be obvious wrt building out a charging network. They still think having some stations at dealers or relying on these ridiculous third party networks is somehow going to be effective.

I'm not so much amazed that Tesla figured it out; I'm amazed that nobody else has. I suspect the explanation lies in a corporate decision making machine made up of people that don't use their own products. Seriously do you think Mary Barra or Alan Mulally have ever taken a road trip and stopped at a Cracker Barrel, Wawa or Flying J? These people make decisions based on what people tell them and what they see on powerpoints. To them their strategies make perfect sense.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:26 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm
How can anybody talk about a charging monopoly when the majority of EV miles are charged at home? And you really think the car companies that currently have 99% of the market cannot come up with a few bucks to build their own networks if they want to?
Tesla's market share of the total car market is around 2%, not 1%.

Do try to keep up. The future isn't the same as the past.

So how would a car without a charge network compete? Only on price, yes?
Tesla can afford to lose money at the bottom end of the market as their margin will be high at the top of the market where there is no competition.

It is not just bucks needed to build a charging network. It takes time. And time is ticking away.
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm
So much adieu is made of this but EVs are still pretty irrelevant, which is why the big brands have given them so little attention. When you're able to make truck after truck and make thousands on it instead of losing, you tend to make truck after truck.
Gasoline cars before the Model T were pretty irrelevant. I'm sure the buggy whip business was profitable then...
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

EVDRIVER

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:31 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
Regular car manufacturers don't understand what should be obvious wrt building out a charging network. They still think having some stations at dealers or relying on these ridiculous third party networks is somehow going to be effective.

I'm not so much amazed that Tesla figured it out; I'm amazed that nobody else has. I suspect the explanation lies in a corporate decision making machine made up of people that don't use their own products. Seriously do you think Mary Barra or Alan Mulally have ever taken a road trip and stopped at a Cracker Barrel, Wawa or Flying J? These people make decisions based on what people tell them and what they see on powerpoints. To them their strategies make perfect sense.
Let me assure you that you are 100% correct. I have sat with board members of one of the largest and oldest car makers and NONE of them had ever rode in an EV although they had prototype EVs of existing models. The stupidity, ignorance, and conservative cultures of these companies is a big issue. Fear is another. Also, Tesla is NOT a car company and the car companies, analysts, and many here do not get that important fact.

WetEV

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:50 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:

Stations at dealers are often not useful, unless perhaps you have business at the dealership, like repairs.

Third party networks is what we hope wins out long term. If proprietary charging networks win, then there likely will be one EV company left standing, the one with the best network. That's probably Tesla, as the mostly ICE companies are not building proprietary networks, at least yet. And hopefully, never.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:06 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:31 pm
Let me assure you that you are 100% correct. I have sat with board members of one of the largest and oldest car makers and NONE of them had ever rode in an EV although they had prototype EVs of existing models. The stupidity, ignorance, and conservative cultures of these companies is a big issue. Fear is another. Also, Tesla is NOT a car company and the car companies, analysts, and many here do not get that important fact.
Tesla Mission Statement wrote: to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
I do not see anything about a car company in their mission statement. And if they keep improving both the cars and the solar products and energy storage systems at the rate they are going, they are going to certainly grow into their current valuation.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:52 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:

Executives at other car companies have spent their entire careers with the energy-supply infrastructure as a given.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LTLFTcomposite

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:37 am

Wow SP just keeps going.

I wonder how close they are to getting some of these other vehicles into production (not just the Y but semi and roadster 2 as well) to support the growth story.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra

EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:07 am

"Tesla is not a car company" is abject nonsense, often said as a way to justify a price that is only attributable to growing tech companies, which can grow by leaps and bounds, not constrained by unavoidable realities that exist for manufacturing companies. If you make a new app you can put it in the hands of millions of people for the cost of scaling a few servers. Impossible with a physical product.

Tesla is now at $538. Beyond laughable.

I guess I'll eat a ton of crow later this year when the 1 million robocar fleet is deployed.

WetEV

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 am

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:07 am
"Tesla is not a car company" is abject nonsense, often said as a way to justify a price that is only attributable to growing tech companies, which can grow by leaps and bounds, not constrained by unavoidable realities that exist for manufacturing companies. If you make a new app you can put it in the hands of millions of people for the cost of scaling a few servers. Impossible with a physical product.

Tesla is now at $538. Beyond laughable.

I guess I'll eat a ton of crow later this year when the 1 million robocar fleet is deployed.
Tesla is a play for a potential monopoly.
Electric cars are not exactly cars. Cars have fully public "charging". Tesla has their own network, and if Tesla can get and keep a large enough market share they will own the market for electric cars as electric cars replace ICEs. Electric cars are cheaper to own now, and will be cheaper to buy in the near future. Much of that gain can be captured by Tesla, if Tesla has a monopoly.
Time is running out for the old car makers. Getting close to time to panic.
WetEV
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

LTLFTcomposite

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:40 pm

Predicting the future never sounds sane. Could be a world like smartphones where you have Apple and a bunch of others building hardware to some reference design and loading some other "big" OS/software.
LTL

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”