LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Re: What gm-volt guys think of MNL ...

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:44 pm

hodad66 wrote:let's see... that's one QC per day right? Or
should one ignore Nissan's caution. :shock:
LEAF drivers, when they get to use the QCs, will find out that they can do more than one a day without any battery pack degradation. Talking with the QC techs, they keep telling me that Nissan has put more 'cushion' into the battery pack than we know. It's a 28.8kW h pack, just as a lot of us had surmised early on. The actual usable is around 19-21. When I QCd a few weeks ago, one tech used his laptop to show my actual capacity after a 100% charge and it was 19kW hs. It may go to 20-21 with L2 because 100% QC charging only took it to 97% SOC. on my gauge, but I got 13 miles from my first bar (11 from my second)!
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

ztanos

Sun May 13, 2012 2:20 pm

I never understand why anybody has issues with a second car being an ice. In my situation, I will be getting a new car at the end of this year. My current 35 mpg car is at the end of its life (could probably save it for a couple more years, but the maintenance costs would be ridiculous) and am looking for a new car. Having owned a GM vehicle my entire life, (my parents were, also, raised GM) and having a grandfather who retired from GM at Lordstown it would make sense to get the Volt. But after much research and deliberation with myself and my wife (whose car isn't going to die anytime soon), we have decided that getting an all electric car makes more sense than the volt. I have a 60-80 mile round-trip drive daily. I guess by the statistics I am taking a long-distance drive everyday. I have been told by my company that I can charge up at work. This would still put me in the 0% gas usage in the case of a Volt. What it doesn't get rid of, however, is the maintenance associated with the Volt. I am sure that they have 7500 mile oil changes and with the electric water pump, have less chance of gasket failures. But I believe that less usage would mean that more things can go wrong from inactivity. I may be wrong on this front, but it is my experience with older cars that if you let them sit things tend to not work as well. For me and my situation (note: not all situations require a pure EV, nor do they require a hybrid), I decided to get the LEAF come december. Unless somebody wants to buy my wife a Volt, at which point we will both be off Ice cars, otherwise I will have to let her use mine on the weekends and make her gas consumption less. I feel that by drastically shrinking our collective family gas consumption that I will be better off than fixing my old car.

ztanos

Sun May 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Just realized that I am stirring a pot that had been settled for 6 months. My apologies.

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Sun May 13, 2012 3:10 pm

ztanos wrote:<snip> I have a 60-80 mile round-trip drive daily. I guess by the statistics I am taking a long-distance drive everyday. I have been told by my company that I can charge up at work. This would still put me in the 0% gas usage in the case of a Volt. What it doesn't get rid of, however, is the maintenance associated with the Volt. I am sure that they have 7500 mile oil changes and with the electric water pump, have less chance of gasket failures. But I believe that less usage would mean that more things can go wrong from inactivity. I may be wrong on this front, but it is my experience with older cars that if you let them sit things tend to not work as well.<snip>
I think you are a little confused on the maintenance required for the Volt. I've had mine for 1y 3mos.

There is no 7500 mile oil change per se. There is an oil life monitoring system like all modern cars have. If you never use the ICE/Gas_Generator then you do have to change it every couple years because oil degrades. I have close to 15,000 miles on my Volt and I'm at 56% oil life. I'll have to change it after 2 years. Volt ICE/GG will run a 'maintenance mode' every 6 weeks if you never use it for diagnostics, removing water (condensation), lube parts, etc, etc. It has been well thought out.

I recall folks posting that the LEAF maint request brake fluid change every couple years so people compare the two in that way.

Same as LEAF you have brakes pads and tire rotations.
The L(ow) drive in the Volt makes for more aggressive regen braking (ie. lot of one foot driving - let up off accelerator pedal and car slows down). My brake pads hardly get used. Not sure when I will need to change them. Same for LEAF I'm sure.

See the Volt manual for maintenance. Mostly "checks". http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sun May 13, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm not sure why GM - unlike pretty much every other manufacturer - does not call for a brake fluid change as their braking system is pretty much the same as every other vehicle and has the same hygroscopic issues. It is simply a good idea to do it at least every two to three years or to at least use a DVM or test strip to see when and if it needs changing. To not do so is inviting problems with corrosion and reduced boil point down the road...
scottf200 wrote:I recall folks posting that the LEAF maint request brake fluid change every couple years so people compare the two in that way.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

ztanos

Sun May 13, 2012 4:37 pm

I was truly confused. Thanks for enlightening old ignorant me :lol: . I just 'ass'umed that an ice was an ice is an ice. Thank you for this great information. I will read it over.
scottf200 wrote:
ztanos wrote:<snip> I have a 60-80 mile round-trip drive daily. I guess by the statistics I am taking a long-distance drive everyday. I have been told by my company that I can charge up at work. This would still put me in the 0% gas usage in the case of a Volt. What it doesn't get rid of, however, is the maintenance associated with the Volt. I am sure that they have 7500 mile oil changes and with the electric water pump, have less chance of gasket failures. But I believe that less usage would mean that more things can go wrong from inactivity. I may be wrong on this front, but it is my experience with older cars that if you let them sit things tend to not work as well.<snip>
I think you are a little confused on the maintenance required for the Volt. I've had mine for 1y 3mos.

There is no 7500 mile oil change per se. There is an oil life monitoring system like all modern cars have. If you never use the ICE/Gas_Generator then you do have to change it every couple years because oil degrades. I have close to 15,000 miles on my Volt and I'm at 56% oil life. I'll have to change it after 2 years. Volt ICE/GG will run a 'maintenance mode' every 6 weeks if you never use it for diagnostics, removing water (condensation), lube parts, etc, etc. It has been well thought out.

I recall folks posting that the LEAF maint request brake fluid change every couple years so people compare the two in that way.

Same as LEAF you have brakes pads and tire rotations.
The L(ow) drive in the Volt makes for more aggressive regen braking (ie. lot of one foot driving - let up off accelerator pedal and car slows down). My brake pads hardly get used. Not sure when I will need to change them. Same for LEAF I'm sure.

See the Volt manual for maintenance. Mostly "checks". http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”