As of March 2011 what Level 2 chargers are available?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaminla

I'm taking delivery of a Leaf in the next month and want to buy a Level 2 charger. Other than the AV system, can I actually buy a Level 2 charger? I don' t see a way to buy a Blink, Leviton has no info at the local electrical supply shops and GE's vaporware is simply that.

Looks like April 2011 will see the Leviton entries.
http://www.munroelectric.com/silvereclipse/index.jsp?path=electriccarcharger

@palmermd - From their limited website this product appears to be a small production device with no warranty, no guarantee and no testing by engineers at a car company.

No offense, but I'm buying a $35,000 car and want to make sure I buy a good, dedicated 240v system.

Clipper Creek

adaminla said:
I'm taking delivery of a Leaf in the next month and want to buy a Level 2 charger. Other than the AV system, can I actually buy a Level 2 charger? I don' t see a way to buy a Blink, Leviton has no info at the local electrical supply shops and GE's vaporware is simply that.

Clipper Creek appears to not be ready for sales...

Made in America
*Available Spring 2011
LCS-25

So, at this point, it looks like the AV system is the only commercially available product for residential use.

adaminla said:
@palmermd - From their limited website this product appears to be a small production device with no warranty, no guarantee and no testing by engineers at a car company.

No offense, but I'm buying a $35,000 car and want to make sure I buy a good, dedicated 240v system.

Just so you know the full story, you might want to take a few minutes and read the 400+ posts here regarding this product. I wish I could point you to some of the highlights, but the thread is getting unwieldy.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707

adaminla said:

Hard to know what will pique your interest ahead of time. I'm sure some readers will be interested.

palmermd said:
Just so you know the full story, you might want to take a few minutes and read the 400+ posts here regarding this product. I wish I could point you to some of the highlights, but the thread is getting unwieldy.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707

I will read more thee but honestly, reading 400 posts is one thing and having a product that is backed by a large company is another.

adaminla said:
I will read more thee but honestly, reading 400 posts is one thing and having a product that is backed by a large company is another.

Fair enough. Just supplying the info for you. Congrats on your Leaf purchase and if you find anything interesting in the way of EVSE let us know.

adaminla said:
Other than the AV system, can I actually buy a Level 2 charger? I don' t see a way to buy a Blink,

That's odd. I called their closest office, and they sent me a quote by email in about 5 minutes. I faxed back the form with my CC number.
It couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes of my time.

The Blink arrived by UPS 2 days later.

It couldn't have been easier.

I had a local electrician install it a few days later.... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=850&start=430

Blink contact info:
Sales Email: [email protected]
Phone: 480.219.5005
Fax: 602.256.2606

Now if I can just get a car to plug my Blink in to !

Thanks Amarillo.
I will call tomorrow. A google search of Blink EVSE didn't bring up their company but a few websites offering information about the product. May I ask what you paid?

And I'm honestly not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I've just read through 12 of the 44 pages of the L1 EVSE conversion thread (I'm not an engineer) and think it's cool but not what I'm looking for. I like internet boards but sometimes it's hard to glean specific information without getting a lot of discussion (and signature lines) in the process.

It would help to know better what you do want.

At this point there seem to be a lot of unresolved issues with the Blink EVSE, mostly because it has a LOT of features that non-EVProject people do not need.

Many have said that the Clipper Creek EVSEs gave them no problems at all.

So, if one wants to pay top dollar for a L2-only EVSE right now, a Clipper Creek unit might be the one to get. The AV EVSE costs much less, and is available both DIY and totally turn-key.

However, the L1 EVSE included with the LEAF, by Panasonic as I recall, is enough for some folks, at least until something else, reasonably priced, appears.

The mod to Nissan's plug-in EVSE to ADD L2 capability to it, along with some socket adapters, make it the most versatile EVSE currently available.

The 32A plug-in L1 & L2 EVSE by SPX should be an even more versatile unit ... when it becomes available.

Fair enough Gary.

I want to buy a residential grade Level 2 charger to install in my garage at home. I have a single car garage wired with a 40 amp dedicated circuit (not live) and looking at the available options right now, I only see the AV and Blink units in the market place.
I am not in the EV project, have to pay out of pocket and would prefer to spend less but understand things cost money. I live in the SCE coverage area of Los Angeles and will likely have a second meter installed just for the car. My home electric bill has averaged $40 a month.

In addition, I would like to buy a spare L1 charger to leave at my office so I can leave it plugged in at work if needed. I do not have access to 240 connections at any of my normal stops so the uprated L1 charger mentioned above probably doesn't work for me unless I use it as my home charging unit. My driving will likely be in the sub-50 mile range on a normal basis so for now, I can get by with the L1 but would prefer to just get things settled and done now.

I love the idea of Aerovironment, really appreciate all they have invested in the electric car technology space and wanted to buy a GM Impact years ago but was very put off by the system they used with the Leaf rollout. I feel my $100 was wasted along with many other excited early adopters. From what I read here months ago, their Level 2 device had some type of compromises and the discussion was that next-gen products will work better.

Given the option, a product from Leviton, GE or Bang&Olufson (j/k) will probably get my money.

Gary - which Clipper Creek product are people buying? From their website, only a Level 1 charger is currently available:

http://www.clippercreek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=212

This website is the best i've found to show the options.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessory-tracker?ul=All&type=All&level=2

Sorry for the confusion. I haven't seen anyone offering to sell the Blink in a cash and carry transaction. Apparently, the EV Project folks are having that unit installed for free at their homes.

The great news is that my car appears to be at the dealer's lot today...

adaminla said:
Clipper Creek appears to not be ready for sales...

Made in America
*Available Spring 2011
LCS-25

So, at this point, it looks like the AV system is the only commercially available product for residential use.

Bought mine in December...

Back