I left the EVSE out in the rain; will I ever have L1 again?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Okay, I haven't actually left it out in the rain yet, but I couldn't find a clear answer on these forums or in the LEAF manual to this question: Is it okay to leave the included L1 EVSE equipment out in the rain, while charging at an outdoor outlet?

The only reference I found in the manual was that your hands shouldn't be wet and you shouldn't be standing in a puddle when connecting / disconnecting.

That surprised me - is the whole of the L1 EVSE box really rain-proof, and pretty safe to operate in the rain apart from the wet-hands clause?

It's well sealed so I suspect that it would be fine. They appear to have taken this in to consideration in the design.

Brian said:
Okay, I haven't actually left it out in the rain yet, but I couldn't find a clear answer on these forums or in the LEAF manual to this question: Is it okay to leave the included L1 EVSE equipment out in the rain, while charging at an outdoor outlet?

The only reference I found in the manual was that your hands shouldn't be wet and you shouldn't be standing in a puddle when connecting / disconnecting.

That surprised me - is the whole of the L1 EVSE box really rain-proof, and pretty safe to operate in the rain apart from the wet-hands clause?

Id at least make sure the connections were not exposed to the rain. It could cause corrosion.

I've left mine in severe rain attached to a 100 ft extension cable (10/3) and fully charged with no issues. I've done it several times.

This was my favorite spot - you can see my extension cable (yellow) rolled up on the ground:

Pluged-in-at-Salish-Lodge-M.jpg
This is at Salish Lodge where they gladly plugged me in overnight and gave my car a front of the building show (Ferrari was next to it before the Corvette got there).

I highly suggest having a good extension cord those overnight spots where the only available charging may be from your hotel bedroom 120v. Sorry I don't have the picture of that but I've hung a cable out a window at a hotel just recently. You do what you have to I guess.

this is the one I use http://bit.ly/iNyaXy. I like that the cable end lights up after it has been plugged in. I can look at car from afar at night and see that the car is still getting juice. I'd get messaged anyway (thank you carwings) if it was unplugged or the circuit turned off.

Great Wolf Lodge is going to let me run it inside the room as they have no outside outlets. I am sure a lot of hotels will gladly comply. Just be sure to call up and ask for ground level and that you will be charging an electric car. Perhaps they might consider a charging station in the future, maybe even L1, as you can charge up the car almost entirely in 12 hours.

tps said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
100 ft extension cable (10/3)
Wow! 100 ft of 10/3 is quite a bit of cable to manage. Is it a single length or two 50 ft cords?

I have the same. I put it on a simple spool that claimed to have only been able to handle 50' of it.

Can someone tell me if the area where the DC port and J1772 can withstand constant rain exposure with the flap opened up?

I plan on keeping my car outside the garage with the J1772 plugged in overnight and was wondering if constant rain/thunderstorm hitting the charge port area will cause damage...

I wish someone made a cover over that charge port area that works with the flap in the up position.

mxp said:
...I plan on keeping my car outside the garage with the J1772 plugged in overnight and was wondering if constant rain/thunderstorm hitting the charge port area will cause damage...
Yes, the connector standards are designed with that scenario in mind. There's a video around somewhere showing Nissan engineers testing J1772 charging with a stream of water directed at the connector area.

mxp said:
Can someone tell me if the area where the DC port and J1772 can withstand constant rain exposure with the flap opened up?

I plan on keeping my car outside the garage with the J1772 plugged in overnight and was wondering if constant rain/thunderstorm hitting the charge port area will cause damage...
Hertz wants you to plug in their car-share LEAF when you return it. It sits in an outdoor location, exposed to the elements, until the next person rents it, unplugs it and drives away. I noticed no problem with the port either time I plugged it in.

davewill said:
mxp said:
...I plan on keeping my car outside the garage with the J1772 plugged in overnight and was wondering if constant rain/thunderstorm hitting the charge port area will cause damage...
Yes, the connector standards are designed with that scenario in mind. There's a video around somewhere showing Nissan engineers testing J1772 charging with a stream of water directed at the connector area.

Good to know! Thanks to tps and dave for the replies.

mxp said:

I wish someone made a cover over that charge port area that works with the flap in the up position.

I live in Seattle, and it hasn't even remotely been an issue.

Both the J1772 socket and the hatch internal area seem to be drained, but I usually put the hatch cover back down a bit, resting it on the handle.

If concerned, one could buy Nissan's "hatch plug" (pillow-looking, somewhat expensive) accessory from Japan, but I do not know if it is designed for USA use.

Why is it not offered here?

I tried to get purchase/shipping information from a UK dealer for the hatch cover, but they didn't respond. I would be interested in getting more information on it. Not sure why it needs to be as expensive as it is...

In pouring down rain (been getting that a lot this summer) the rain will just go through the drain as normal. You can position the cover two different ways, but it seems that regardless how you position it, water will come in.

I would almost be inclined not to put such a device, as it might impede water drainage and create a real situation.

Unless you have standing water, I wouldn't think much of it. Its grounded. It'll be fine.

The cover for the J1772 is spring loaded to 'open' and is held closed by an orange latch. Several times I have found my port 'open' and I'm not sure if I'm forgetting to close it or if the latch isn't securely holding the cover in place. However, I would prefer the cover to be always 'spring closed' rather than 'spring open'. In the 'open' condition the connector contacts are exposed to the elements, dust, road spray and all the stuff in road spray. Any ideas? The CHADeMO cover stays closed but it also is seldom opened and currently never used.

Nekota said:
The cover for the J1772 is spring loaded to 'open' and is held closed by an orange latch. Several times I have found my port 'open' and I'm not sure if I'm forgetting to close it or if the latch isn't securely holding the cover in place. However, I would prefer the cover to be always 'spring closed' rather than 'spring open'. In the 'open' condition the connector contacts are exposed to the elements, dust, road spray and all the stuff in road spray. Any ideas? The CHADeMO cover stays closed but it also is seldom opened and currently never used.
My personal experience is that the cover is open because I left it that way. The latch seems secure enough. Depending on the spring it might be possible to simply wind/unwind the spring one rev so that the tension pushes the other direction. You might also bust the spring that way. It probably wouldn't be strong enough to latch it, though...you might have to disable the latch and depend on the spring. You'd also have to then hold the cap while plugging it in, which would be easier if you were a lefty...

Back