Going for LADWP EVSE Rebate - Which EVSE/Electrician?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

Hi all,

I'm going to try to get the LADWP EVSE rebate of up to $2000. It does seem a little akward to actually get as it has a lot of requirements, but from what they've told me I contact them about the second meter (already done, waiting on response), and then have an electrician perform the installation of the EVSE and the second meter (?), once building & safety approves the installation then I can apply for the rebate. The upside is they seem to be trying to expedite the permitting process and promise to make it only 7 days "from permit to plug". (We'll see...)

First, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good electrician in the LA/SFV area? Not sure if I should be going with somebody who has specific EV qualifications or not. I would imagine it doesn't matter too much, although somebody who's installed an EVSE before probably understands the process a little better. Either way, I don't have any good references for an electrician right now so I'm very open to suggestions.

I would just get the Ingineer EVSE upgrade if it weren't for the LADWP rebate, but since the rebate requires full UL certification of the L2 charger I'm going to have to choose something else (although I may do the upgrade for portability anyways once the L2 at home is up and running). I was thinking of going with the ClipperCreek LCS-25 as it isn't overly priced plus they are in stock and could have a unit to me within a week. ClipperCreek seems to make pretty high quality products and it seems like it's either that or the AeroVironment unit which not only seems quite large but I'm unsure on its' current availability.

My parents have a Coulomb CT500 supplied by the ChargePoint America program for their Volt and they've been happy with it (the Leaf likes it too!) but it seems a little tricky to find purchasing info for unless of course you have a Volt and are eligible for their program.

What would everyone recommend in my situation?

I went with William Korthof, who has experience with solar installs and EVSE installs. Very satisfied with his work. See this thread for details and other recommendations:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2697

Thanks for the tip on Bill Korthoff. I've met him a few times and he actually did the engineering work on my parent's solar system. It completely slipped my mind that he does EVSE installs as well.

The LADWP guy is coming today to look at our meter/panel and determine what work will need to be done to satisfy their end of things so I'll give Bill a call once I hear back from them.

Anybody have any further advise on EVSE units? Does that ClipperCreek seem like the way to go or should I go with the AV or some other unit?

Devin said:
Anybody have any further advise on EVSE units? Does that ClipperCreek seem like the way to go or should I go with the AV or some other unit?
I went with the AV unit, but it was cheaper then ($721 vs $995 now). I have seen only one problem report with the AV unit, the rest (including mine) seem to work just fine. I don't know anything about the other units. You might ask William Korthof for his opinion on this also.

Back