wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Re: Aerovironment EVSE install information

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:12 pm

GeekEV wrote: Even a 6-30 would allow for 6.6Kw charging. W = V*A, so A = W/V, so 6600w/240v = 27.5A...
A 6-30 receptacle has to be on a maximum 30A breaker, so with the 125% continuous load requirement, it is good for 24 amps maximum in this application.

Cheers, Wayne

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:13 pm

NullPointer wrote:I spoke with the AV rep at the Drive Tour in DC yesterday. He indicated that the cash-and-carry price is about $1000 but that they would sell you just the head for "cost" at about $750 if you went with them for the install. He also indicated that in my region (DC metro) the quotes should frequently come in less than the $2200 often quoted in California, since out here panel boxes are usually in the garage closer to where the EVSE would be located, compared to outside panel box locations in California.

I mentioned Leviton to the guy and he started a pitch as to why AV is better, claiming that AV can supply more current (40A breaker instead of 30A), and that their unit looks better. "Would you want that Leviton unit hanging on your wall"?

I got the impression that they are starting to feel some heat.

-Doron
My CA AV install was over $2200 and the house is fully permitted and prewired. All AV has to do is add three wire nuts.

And BTW I far prefer the look of the Leviton. Leviton can be had at two power levels but current Leaf only needs the lower power level. AV will only sell and install ( at the higher cost) the higher power version equivelent that is completely unneeded for the current Leaf. That means you also pay for a 40a circuit when Leaf only needs a 20a circuit. :evil: And if you do not have a 200a panel your electrician may have to evaluate if an entire panel upgrade is needed. I wonder how much of this could be avoided with a 20a circuit :roll:
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

NullPointer
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2011

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm

smkettner wrote:My CA AV install was over $2200 and the house is fully permitted and prewired. All AV has to do is add three wire nuts.

And BTW I far prefer the look of the Leviton. Leviton can be had at two power levels but current Leaf only needs the lower power level. AV will only sell and install ( at the higher cost) the higher power version equivelent that is completely unneeded for the current Leaf. That means you also pay for a 40a circuit when Leaf only needs a 20a circuit. :evil: And if you do not have a 200a panel your electrician may have to evaluate if an entire panel upgrade is needed. I wonder how much of this could be avoided with a 20a circuit :roll:
It could be that AV went with the higher power EVSE from the beginning in order to be able to support a 6.6kW LEAF charger (if and when that comes) without redesigning the EVSE.

In any case I too prefer the Leviton, and thanks for sharing - it is because of stories like yours that I will avoid AV and their $100 come hither fee. I will be upgrading my 125A panel in any case as I have an old "Burn Baby Burn" Federal Pacific panel.

-Doron

smkettner

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 pm

NullPointer wrote:It could be that AV went with the higher power EVSE from the beginning in order to be able to support a 6.6kW LEAF charger (if and when that comes) without redesigning the EVSE.
Yes and AV could have provided an easy solution to people with marginal capacity. Simple update can limit the amps and use 20a circuit to solve some issues on a case by case basis. Instead they make everyone jump to the higher level. Or even take advantage of an otherwise unused existing 30a dryer circuit with just a breaker replacement.

I figure if my next EV, many years from now, needs 40a circuit I can still use my 20a and allow more time to charge or sell it with the car.

I am fine with slow charging at home and if next EV had faster charging just in public areas that would be fine too. AV just presents an unnecessary burden on the consumer.

NullPointer
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2011

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:49 pm

smkettner wrote:Yes and AV could have provided an easy solution to people with marginal capacity. Simple update can limit the amps and use 20a circuit to solve some issues on a case by case basis. Instead they make everyone jump to the higher level.
I suppose they could have, but it's probably easier for them just to milk their relationship with Nissan and the federal tax credit. I don't think they are doing Nissan any favors.

-Doron

Yanquetino

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Yesterday UPS dropped off on my doorstep a cash-and-carry EVSE from AeroEnvironment. This morning my electrician installed it. Since I had already put in a Milbank RV panel and wiring when building the home, the total cost (EVSE, shipping, and installation) cost me only $871.07. Not bad, all things considered. Yes, I know: EVSE prices will likely be even lower in the future, but at least I paid a helluva lot less than what others have been paying to date.

With my solar array cranking out kWhs, and my EVSE installed, all I need now is my LEAF. Sometime in 2012, I guess. Sigh.... :roll:

You can click on these photos to view larger versions:

Last edited by Yanquetino on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smkettner

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:26 pm

That is a beautiful install. I hope someone figures out how to make a recessed mount EVSE some day.

Yanquetino

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:49 pm

smkettner wrote:That is a beautiful install. I hope someone figures out how to make a recessed mount EVSE some day.
Thanks! It does look good, thanks to the pre-wiring while building the home.

A recessed EVSE would be nice, especially if the garage is very narrow. That wasn't a concern in my case, plus I really like the way that the rounded sides of AV's unit taper back so that I can wrap the cable around it. As a matter of fact, it also comes with a separate "hose" hook, but I didn't even bother to mount it.

Yanquetino

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 pm

For those interested, I've posted a webpage about... My AV EVSE Installation Saga.

thew
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4514

Sun May 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Yanquetino wrote:For those interested, I've posted a webpage about... My AV EVSE Installation Saga.
Nice job. WE to own a Solar powered home with Battery backup. We generate about 70% of our needs.. Our garage is already set up with a 50 amp sub panel that feeds the inverters for the Solar array. And is feed back by the 50 amp Battery pack.. So Our installation simply needs the EVSE.. and about one foot of wire and conduit.. As I am an electrician I will install the EVSE myself.

I have just read that Millbank now has a contract to build the AV EVSE units and MillBank sells them to Electrical suppliers and will soon have them in Home depot etc..

Has anyone purchased the Millbank units yet ?
2011 Nissan LEAF Silver SL w/ QC port.
Reserved 5/5/11
RAQ 5/6/11 Accepted, Confirmed
5/5/11 AeroVironment Charge Dock ordered "Cash and Carry"
5/10/11 AV EVSE Installed
Delivery 6/15/11
http://www.DepotEco.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”