DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Re: encounters w/other Leafers w/surprising lack of knowledge

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:40 am

cwerdna wrote:Ok, here's one, but with a Model S owner at the same free public charging who has had their car for 3 years. Sounds like she shares the car w/her husband.

She mixed up kW and kWh. We were talking about charging speeds and she blurted out some numbers about "17 kWh" and that the charging stations at the free public charging are that fast. I talked to her about how the Model S can have a 1 or 2 10 kW OBCs (and with the HPWC up to 80 amps, provided it's on the proper circuit and that DIP switches in the HPWC need to be set). Her car is a 60 kWh car (per the 60 badging). I also explained to her that EVSEs can be a bottleneck.

The EVSEs at this free public charging location are 30 amp, per their Clipper Creek labeling. I believe the line voltage is 208 volts (common commercial power), judging by what I see in Leaf Spy. I did the math for her showing 208 * 30 = 6240 watts or 6.24 kW and explained that after 1 hour, 6.24 kWh would've come from the wall.

I mentioned the Tesla UMC and how it can go from 120 volts to 240, up to 40 amps. I mentioned how usually at 120 volts, EVs are limited to charging at 12 amps at 120 volts, for 1.44 kW. But she doesn't charge at home. Again, she was confused and said... I thought oh... thought you could get 4 kW at 120 volts.
LOL!!

I will say you exhibited much more understanding than I would have. I would have told her "the car thinks its done and that is all that matters!"
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:29 pm

At free public L2 charging yesterday, I encountered a driver (w/his SO) who was new to using the stations there. He was very low on juice so he had to charge. I'm guessing they found it via the nav system when they got either LBW or VLBW. (I heard the voice warnings as we were cycling thru power states.) They had a leased 2015 SV w/o CHAdeMO. He didn't know about at least these:
- capacity bars (but they don't really need to care)
- Nissan No Charge to Charge or the https://www.ez-charge.com/ (!) benefit - I couldn't tell them many details since I never qualified.
- may not have known about the Nissan Connect app as it wasn't installed on his Android phone. When I mentioned it may not work if the dealer hadn't activated the TCU, he said he didn't know if they did.
- % state of charge display (!) or any idea how to cycle thru and reset the dash displays (his 3rd trip odo was maxed out, didn't know about miles/kWh display)
- that he could unlock/lock the car via the outside buttons instead of pushing buttons on the fob (basically, he didn't know about Intelligent Key)
- didn't know the meaning of the low fob battery picture that came up in his dash display
- didn't seem like he knew about the energy info screen showing the power usage of the HVAC system, motor, etc. (was showing him power usage of heater while charging)
- his car had heated front seats and steering wheel, didn't know about those switches and the button for the steering wheel (forgot to tell him about the rear seat heater switch)
- Plugshare (and thus had no idea about access hours for some charging stations, we talked about (San Jose's) Premier Nissan's charging locations)
- Leaf Spy (I wouldn't hold people to not knowing about this)

At least he knew the GOM was crap, although he hadn't heard what we call it here.

From conversation, he said his sales critter knew almost nothing about the car and thus didn't go over any of the above with him. He said his dealer was in Fremont. I said "Premier Nissan of Fremont, eh?" Yep, was the answer.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:16 pm

cwerdna wrote:At free public L2 charging yesterday, I encountered a driver (w/his SO) who was new to using the stations there. He was very low on juice so he had to charge. I'm guessing they found it via the nav system when they got either LBW or VLBW. (I heard the voice warnings as we were cycling thru power states.) They had a leased 2015 SV w/o CHAdeMO. He didn't know about at least these:
- capacity bars (but they don't really need to care)
- Nissan No Charge to Charge or the https://www.ez-charge.com/ (!) benefit - I couldn't tell them many details since I never qualified.
- may not have known about the Nissan Connect app as it wasn't installed on his Android phone. When I mentioned it may not work if the dealer hadn't activated the TCU, he said he didn't know if they did.
- % state of charge display (!) or any idea how to cycle thru and reset the dash displays (his 3rd trip odo was maxed out, didn't know about miles/kWh display)
- that he could unlock/lock the car via the outside buttons instead of pushing buttons on the fob (basically, he didn't know about Intelligent Key)
- didn't know the meaning of the low fob battery picture that came up in his dash display
- didn't seem like he knew about the energy info screen showing the power usage of the HVAC system, motor, etc. (was showing him power usage of heater while charging)
- his car had heated front seats and steering wheel, didn't know about those switches and the button for the steering wheel (forgot to tell him about the rear seat heater switch)
- Plugshare (and thus had no idea about access hours for some charging stations, we talked about (San Jose's) Premier Nissan's charging locations)
- Leaf Spy (I wouldn't hold people to not knowing about this)

At least he knew the GOM was crap, although he hadn't heard what we call it here.

From conversation, he said his sales critter knew almost nothing about the car and thus didn't go over any of the above with him. He said his dealer was in Fremont. I said "Premier Nissan of Fremont, eh?" Yep, was the answer.
Which is why when I encounter the above and more there is no hesitation for me to refer them to this forum.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:07 am

Here's one but with a newer Model 3 driver. It was a newer 3 since I could hear its noisemaker.

I saw a red Model 3 pulling into a strip mall where I wanted to grab lunch. It was going around slowly and when I parked, the driver was confused and eventually backed into the stalls for Electrify America chargers. They were real slow and blocked another waiting ICEV in the parking lot for awhile. Was pretty comical to see that given that there are urban-style Superchargers in the same strip mall.

(This location has 1 CHAdeMO, several CCS and 1 J1772. She backed into a wider spot where CCS and CHAdeMO were reachable but probably not J1772.)

I came out and asked them if they (middle-aged woman) knew that they couldn't use the CCS chargers (car not compatible and no adapter yet) and that if they wanted to use CHAdeMO, they needed to have the $450 CHAdeMO adapter. They didn't seem to know anything about that. They knew the address of the strip mall which actually does have a bank of Tesla urban chargers but not on that side, where EA's chargers were. It seemed pretty obvious they were looking for Tesla charging, specifically urban/Superchargers.

I pointed to my Bolt saying I have CCS and can use those EA chargers. (And, I've actually used the CCS chargers at that location 3x, so far.) I pointed them to go around the corner and told them about the Hallmark store which is visible from the SCs, suggesting they look it up in their car. I showed them on my iPhone maps app.

I guess they're from out of the area or not familiar with that strip mall. I'd been to that Hallmark store numerous times for Shopkicks before and could see the urban chargers from there. Per Tesla's site, that site has 18 urban-style Superchargers.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Lance96816
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 020193

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 am

There is a Tesla Dealer that comes to the free Volta Chargers in my center. They just sit there all day to charge.
Center Security says that the company have been cited many times, Security don't know if they are center customers or dealers cars.
But Security does cite them if they know it's them.
What a crap for the dealer to try and save a few dollars.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”