gbshaun
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4390

It's your duty to drive FAST !!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 pm

On more than one occasion I’ve heard references to EV’s suggesting they are the snails of the road. Indeed when enjoying my Sirrus XM a few days ago I heard one stand-up comedian let rip with one dig after another (think being passed by a truck with a house on the back, while going uphill).

So, as advocates of EV’s I feel it’s our duty to dispel this myth.

Especially as I have my “100% Electric” chrome letters on the back, I take every opportunity to win the traffic-light drag race. I haven't been beaten yet. Furthermore, , whenever I have the capacity, I make a point of at least keeping up with the fast lane on the freeway.
Most important you CA drivers with carpool stickers, do NOT hold up other vehicles in the single carpool lane. If you don't have the range to drive as fast as others, pull into the regular lanes.

Fortunately I can now do all of this without burning excessive fossil fuel, or putting undue load on an engine or gearbox. In fact the only real cost of this is likely to show up in tire wear.
But I’ll accept that as I do my part to promote this great vehicle, and EV’s in general !

But of course, be safe my friends!
Shaun
Res: 4/23/10, took delivery June 2011
Red SL-e - Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa
Warranty replacement battery Feb 2016
60,000mi in 7 years

JohnOver
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4232

Re: It's your duty to drive FAST !!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:10 pm

gbshaun wrote:Especially as I have my “100% Electric” chrome letters on the back, I take every opportunity to win the traffic-light drag race. I haven't been beaten yet. Furthermore, , whenever I have the capacity, I make a point of at least keeping up with the fast lane on the freeway.
Most important you CA drivers with carpool stickers, do NOT hold up other vehicles in the single carpool lane. If you don't have the range to drive as fast as others, pull into the regular lanes.

Fortunately I can now do all of this without burning excessive fossil fuel, or putting undue load on an engine or gearbox. In fact the only real cost of this is likely to show up in tire wear.
But I’ll accept that as I do my part to promote this great vehicle, and EV’s in general !

Shaun
Amen Brother!

It is hilarious to see the reactions on people's faces when they meet up with me at the next light. I see it every day - They are discovering a new respect for EVs. And not just Teslas...
2011 LEAF (Silver SL+QC) - 6/24/11 (on 2/3/08 reserved an Aptera 2e #372)
AV EVSE, plus Ingineer's 240V upgrade, and a fist full of adapters
Other cars: '05 Honda Accord Hybrid, '96 Honda Odyssey
6.5 kW PV, making ~24 kWh per day (average).

TonyWilliams

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:24 pm

gbshaun wrote:Especially as I have my “100% Electric” chrome letters on the back, I take every opportunity to win the traffic-light drag race. I haven't been beaten yet.

I haven't been beat yet, either. From years of riding motorcycles, I never bolt out from a green light without a serious check both ways for red light runners.

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:24 pm

+1, I do feel a responsibility to demonstrate that EVs are not golf carts, and I do it on a daily basis.

But how do I reconcile this with my support of Paul Scott's Peak Oil post? Oh yeah, my LEAF runs (mostly) on solar PV power.

Anyway, hence my schizophrenic automotive life... :lol:
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

walterbays
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 pm

+1 on demonstrating that EVs are not toys. Besides, it's fun :-)

I saw a LEAF yesterday driving 50mph on the freeway (in the right lane). He probably needed to drive slowly because he was at the edge of his range. Remember, when you might need to recharge to make a trip, the slower you drive the faster you arrive. But with a few other LEAFs zipping along, people could know that he was driving slowly by choice, not because the car wasn't capable of higher speeds.
TonyWilliams wrote:I haven't been beat yet, either.
I have, just once. Let's face it, a BMW whose driver doesn't care that everyone sees he's doing something as immature as stoplight racing, and who is willing to floor it with a deafening roar, is going to beat a LEAF every time. And so it was time for me to back off and pretend that I wasn't doing something as immature as stoplight racing; and thanks to the lack of a deafening roar I might just have gotten away with the pretense. :-)
From years of riding motorcycles, I never bolt out from a green light without a serious check both ways for red light runners.
Good safety reminder!

On one street whose speed limit is set unreasonably low I frequently annoy other drivers by driving too slowly - at the speed limit - just as I used to annoy them in my Prius, and before that in my big V6 sedan. I've seen the frequent speed traps set up there, and I've seen the baby deer struck and killed, and I've seen the kids playing, and I'm just not willing to speed there.

IBELEAF
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2011

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 am

I admit I was driving too slow first few weeks in the right lane. :oops: As I got comfortable with the car and overcame my range anxiety I started to enjoy left lane flying as I did with ICE car. Although not everyone happy about this...
Last edited by IBELEAF on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently: '12 Volt (12k) since 7/2012
Previously: '11 Leaf SL (w/ 12k miles & 16 month ownership)

Drivesolo
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2011

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 am

I am 100% in agreement w/ this post. I have yet to take possession of my Leaf but I feel that it is my personal responsibility to dispel the old "...as slow as an electric car." adage. Unless you are limited by range or safety conditions, it makes absolutely no sense to be moving slower than traffic. It absolutely kills me every time I see a Leaf driving slower than traffic on the freeway. The thought of "Ackk!!! This guy is reinforcing a bad stereotype!". Also, when you drive slower everyone makes note of it and immediately associates that behavior to the type of car, not necessarily the person behind the wheel.

I'm already receiving a lot of flak from friends and people that know me for buying an electric car. The one thing that most of them understand is speed, so in a sense I have something to prove or at the very least not to fall into their expectations which would make them feel right.
2011 SL Superblack - Delivered 10/10/2011
"As an individual, not as the boss of a company, I am very interested in motor racing." - Carlos Ghosn
"Racing improves the breed." - Soichiro Honda

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:11 am

+1!
gbshaun wrote:On more than one occasion I’ve heard references to EV’s suggesting they are the snails of the road. Indeed when enjoying my Sirrus XM a few days ago I heard one stand-up comedian let rip with one dig after another (think being passed by a truck with a house on the back, while going uphill).

So, as advocates of EV’s I feel it’s our duty to dispel this myth.

Especially as I have my “100% Electric” chrome letters on the back, I take every opportunity to win the traffic-light drag race. I haven't been beaten yet. Furthermore, , whenever I have the capacity, I make a point of at least keeping up with the fast lane on the freeway.

Shaun
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:17 am

I stop-light raced a roaring pick-up from the righthand--ending lane and left him behind. very mature.
I do however insist on the speed limit most of the time and there are a few speed traps known to me where i always use cruise set right. I love to see the motorcycle cop there when I crest the hill or down the road with the pulled-over driver.
I do admit to driving the HOV lane at 65.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 am

I will be the odd man out here. I drive 52 MPH in the right hand lane of the freeway (405 and 101) when traffic allows me to go that fast, which it often doesn't. I ease out from stop lights, let others race pass me, then often pass them stopped at the next light because I have looked ahead and not wasted energy racing up to a stop. The example I am setting: energy of various kinds will probably be more limited as the years go by, so use it wisely. Surprisingly, I often find other cars content to go the same speed and not eager to pass. This is a very relaxing way to drive and only increases my commute time from 32 minutes to 37 minutes (average).

However, I do talk to anyone who asks about my Leaf, enthusiastically but realistic about the limitations of the current EV. A lot of people are fascinated and I can see their minds doing the computation, "Would this work for me?" I think this sort of "evangelism"--plus giving rides to family and friends--is a lot more important. People experience the Leaf as a real car, especially when they ride in it. I do briefly show them what the car can do if you want to zip away from a stop. They are uniformly impressed by the rapid acceleration from a stop. After taking a test ride, my sister-in-law told my brother, "We should get an EV for our next car."
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”