It's your duty to drive FAST !!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite is going right next to honda civics or accords at red lights that have been tricked out with loud exhausts lowered with shiny wheels. I they try sooo hard to keep up I can hear their engines rev to 8k rpms wayy behind me :lol:
They either realize it's electric if they get to read my plate or they think how could this nissan versa looking thing take off so fast. I had one follow me to the supermarket because he was so puzzled. He asked me how much horsepower the car had, I told him just 100. He said that's impossible because his modified engine had over 200. :lol:

eclecticflower said:
LEAFfan said:
Caracalover said:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-gets-ticket-driving-2-miles-per-hour-211957738.html

IMO, she deserved the ticket for impeding traffic. In AZ, if she had been going the speed limit, she couldn't have been ticketed. We don't have the move to the right except for passing law even though most drivers do. If she needed to.slow down, she should have moved over.
Seems to me she would only deserve a ticket if she didn't move over after an extended period of driving considerably below the posted speed limit (45 in a 65 zone), not for driving just 2 miles under the limit.

Why is it that drivers no longer understand the meaning of "limit?" Why bother to post a limit if law enforcement allows speeders the freedom to speed and tickets dopey drivers for going slightly too slow in the passing lane? If anything, her infraction was her inability to recognize the need to yield the lane/move over to let other traffic pass (going 65, of course!). Going 63 shouldn't have been an issue. In all fairness, had she moved over while doing 63, those drivers who then exceeded the 65 mph limit in that lane should have all gotten tickets! It appears to me she was only impeding speeders! :lol:
Depends on the law. Many states, including mine, have a law that one MUST not drive in the left lane, except when passing, on any highway with a speed limit of 65 mph or higher. There are usually signs saying something like "Keep Right Except When Passing". I found out about the new law here when I was pulled over and given a warning. If the woman in that linked article is in a state with such a law the ticket was valid; speed in the left lane has nothing whatever to do with it, camping in the left lane is not permitted so that passing slower traffic is easier and safer.

eclecticflower said:
Why is it that drivers no longer understand the meaning of "limit?" Why bother to post a limit if law enforcement allows speeders the freedom to speed and tickets dopey drivers for going slightly too slow in the passing lane?

It seems that even some highway patrol have accepted the common notions:

A - the speed limit is a minimum
B - the left lane is reserved for speeding

dgpcolorado said:
Many states, including mine, have a law that one MUST not drive in the left lane, except when passing, on any highway with a speed limit of 65 mph or higher. There are usually signs saying something like "Keep Right Except When Passing". I found out about the new law here when I was pulled over and given a warning. If the woman in that linked article is in a state with such a law the ticket was valid; speed in the left lane has nothing whatever to do with it, camping in the left lane is not permitted so that passing slower traffic is easier and safer.

But, keeping in mind that exceeding the speed limit is illegal -- what happens if all of the traffic in the other lane is moving along at 65mph? In such a case, if we're to follow both rules, the left lane would have to remain -- absolutely empty.

Nubo said:
But, keeping in mind that exceeding the speed limit is illegal -- what happens if all of the traffic in the other lane is moving along at 65mph? In such a case, if we're to follow both rules, the left lane would have to remain -- absolutely empty.
In the real world that doesn't happen. There is usually some slower traffic in the right lane, unless it is mostly empty (which happens a lot in rural areas). In congested conditions when it isn't possible to move right a car can remain in the left (passing) lane until it is safe to move to the right. The actual text of the law here is:
42-4-1013 (1) - Passing lane
(Left Lane Law)
“A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor vehicles that are in a nonpassing lane or turning left, or unless the volume of traffic does not permit the motor vehicle to safely merge into a nonpassing lane.”
Make of it what you will. What is clear is that you can't camp in the left lane even if doing the speed limit; the left lane is for passing only, except in congested conditions. The explanation for why this law was passed:
...Before the Left Lane Law, as long as a vehicle was traveling the posted speed limit while in the left-hand travel lane, there was little law enforcement officers could do to prevent the ensuing gridlock. What sense did it make to cite a driver for impeding traffic, when at the same time the driver was obeying the posted speed limit? Typically, impeding statutes were only enforceable when a vehicle was traveling below the posted or prima facie speed limit.
The Left Lane Law simplifies these issues and allows officers to take appropriate enforcement action to enhance the flow of traffic.
I realize that it may be different in other states, but many do have a Left Lane Law similar to this one. The woman camped in the left lane doing 63 mph would get a ticket here also.

dgpcolorado said:
In the real world that doesn't happen. There is usually some slower traffic in the right lane, unless it is mostly empty (which happens a lot in rural areas). In congested conditions when it isn't possible to move right a car can remain in the left (passing) lane until it is safe to move to the right.

We all know what happens in the real world. As my Father aptly noted when I was just starting to drive:

What are you doing? You can't do the speed limit in the speeding lane!

He was a pragmatist. :lol:

well today, I saw someone who followed your advice guys:
around 05:40 pm on Highway 405 in Irvine (Orange County, California) on the carpool lane I passed with my motorcycle (I still did not buy my leaf since I did not succeed to sell my old car yet :-( ) an old lady driving a 2011 or 2012 white leaf.
She was a bit under 90 mph, I was next to her on her right showing her my motorcycle speedometer and I gave her a thumb up :)
So I don't know if this person is on the forum, but that's the first leaf driver that I see driving that fast on the carpool lane.
FYI my commute is pretty insane (82 miles) on highway 5 and 405 from San Clemente to Encino, meaning that you have to go through the L A mess at rush hour, it takes me 1h 20 minutes to do that with a bike, (I have no idea how long it would with a car) and so far I see only 3 leafs on the carpool lane each day, so hopefully I will see more of you commuting with your leaf.
I always say hello to all the leaf guys that I pass everyday, I have a blue bike an Orange back pack and an Orange helmet, hope to see you guys on 405 soon :)

ptititoi said:
well today, I saw someone who followed your advice guys:
around 05:40 pm on Highway 405 in Irvine (Orange County, California) on the carpool lane I passed with my motorcycle (I still did not buy my leaf since I did not succeed to sell my old car yet :-( ) an old lady driving a 2011 or 2012 white leaf.
She was a bit under 90 mph, I was next to her on her right showing her my motorcycle speedometer and I gave her a thumb up :)
So I don't know if this person is on the forum, but that's the first leaf driver that I see driving that fast on the carpool lane.
FYI my commute is pretty insane (82 miles) on highway 5 and 405 from San Clemente to Encino, meaning that you have to go through the L A mess at rush hour, it takes me 1h 20 minutes to do that with a bike, (I have no idea how long it would with a car) and so far I see only 3 leafs on the carpool lane each day, so hopefully I will see more of you commuting with your leaf.
I always say hello to all the leaf guys that I pass everyday, I have a blue bike an Orange back pack and an Orange helmet, hope to see you guys on 405 soon :)
Nice. It's refreshing to hear stories of people that aren't perpetuating the image of a slow-@$$ EV.

it'd be cool, dangerous and illegal to go that fast; cool except for all the idiots who jump the double double yellow line as if it werent there.
and allot of them are solo ICErs.

My father-in-law, during a recent visit, got ticketed for staying in the left lane too long after passing a truck. He was pissed and on the surface I was sympathetic, but inside I was thinking "YEAH!"

I agree, better splitting at low speed, it gives you the time to break when one of these guys cut you off :roll:

thankyouOB said:
it'd be cool, dangerous and illegal to go that fast; cool except for all the idiots who jump the double double yellow line as if it werent there.
and allot of them are solo ICErs.

Back