Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Leaf not starting or shifting out of Park all of a sudden

Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:04 am

powersurge wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:40 am
I have had original batteries on cars that have lasted 8-9 years before changing them.
[edit]
It really does not make sense to spend $350 on a battery for a car that you may not keep after 5 years of use???
That might work in NY, but not in TX, FL...or almost anywhere else South of Kansas.
I spent $500 on a LiFePO4 battery and am going on 7 years (on the battery...not just the car) without any "stranded/failed to start" incidents.
There are tons of 12v battery threads on this site, so don't pollute this one with bad advice.

I think @badamsfx may have a real/different problem and should probably have started another thread.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pm

I live in a somewhat colder part of NY than Powersurge, and I find 7 years to be a good long life for a 12 volt battery. I wouldn't recommend that people keep them past 5 years, though. Too much potential for problems as the accessory battery fails.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

gncndad
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2016

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Powersurge's advice is regionally appropriate, but yes, LeftieBiker, for sure, 5 years is pushing it.

VW/Audi techs (HAHAHA!!! I needed to get to know SEVERAL) always said the same thing. After 3 years, you're pushing your luck, and it's...just...not...worth...the inconvenience of a failed battery, when the replacement is $120-150. (...and YES, I KNOW...we're talking LEAF, not VW/Audi)

Combined with battery QC issues, solving electrical issues can be a nightmare.
2015 LeafS
2018 Toyota Prius Two (son's car)
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited

badamsfx
Delivery Date: 19 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7419

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:06 pm

Thank you all for your advice. Indeed my problem turned out to be the 12v battery. It just seemed so odd that it worked fine and then ten minutes later it failed after my gas pedal mishap. When I tested the battery out of the car it read 9.24v. I charged it up and put it back in and the car started fine. Interestingly I left the hood open but wanted to test that it would go into gear so I tried D and R and both times it immediately flashed a message that said "Shift into P!" so I'm wondering if there is a hood open sensor? The only issue is I can't seem to get the clock back on the center display but I can fiddle with that later. I intend to get the 12v battery tested. Is it worth it to buy my own tester? I have three cars and several motorcycles so it seems like it would be a handy tool to have.

LeftieBiker

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:12 pm

Don't do anything further with that 12 volt battery other than replace it. If it's old it's completely beyond saving, and if it's newer it's been severely damaged by being so low. If you can afford a size 51R AGM battery, get one - they tolerate being deeply discharged better than do starting batteries. If you can't afford one, get a starting battery with a great warranty, as you may need it in the future. Make sure the new battery is fully charged before it is installed. Some shops don't bother to do that, as it isn't needed with most gas cars.

There is no hood open sensor. Hopefully the 'shift into P' warning is a residual symptom of low accessory battery voltage. You may need to clear some codes, or have a shop do it. If not you may need something like a shift position sensor or linkage. I've seen that message before, but can't recall at the moment what it usually indicates as the problem.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

gncndad
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2016

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:16 pm

^^^ +1!
2015 LeafS
2018 Toyota Prius Two (son's car)
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:50 am

badamsfx wrote:
I intend to get the 12v battery tested. Is it worth it to buy my own tester? I have three cars and several motorcycles so it seems like it would be a handy tool to have.
Some people just don't get it...even after "dodging a bullet".
Replace the 12v battery!
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

LeftieBiker

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:49 pm

Analogy: you accidentally run your lawn mower out of oil, and it seizes. You pour oil in the spark plug hole as well as the crankcase, and amazingly, it starts again, but blows blue smoke and makes a funny noise as it runs. Do you keep using it, or replace it?
BAFX OBDII Dongle

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:19 pm

The "Shift Into P" message will pop up if the driver door is opened while the car is in D or R so it is not indicative of a problem--just a safety feature or liability limitation attempt by Nissan.

Edited to add: I just tried opening the driver door on the 2019--"Shift Into P Range" message will pop up unless it is in P. It pops up with car in N even with parking brake set and also in D, B, or R.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

badamsfx
Delivery Date: 19 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7419

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:43 pm

Stanton wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:50 am
badamsfx wrote:
I intend to get the 12v battery tested. Is it worth it to buy my own tester? I have three cars and several motorcycles so it seems like it would be a handy tool to have.
Some people just don't get it...even after "dodging a bullet".
Replace the 12v battery!
Fear not, dear reader, I fully intend to replace the battery though as a curious person I'm interested to know how "used up" it reads on a tester. I will get an Optima yellow top based on the recommendations here. I don't mind paying the premium as I'm keeping this car forever. Surveying battery testers online for home use prices varied from $40 to $500. I will need to research more deeply before making a decision on what to get. Regarding my issue with the clock not showing up on the center console, it did pop on after I drove for a few minutes. I'm guessing it actually gets the time using the telematics system so it needed to connect before the clock would appear. The owner manuals don't mention anything about that but the fact that the clock time manipulators are "offsets" indicates that the time is coming from somewhere else.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”