Don't forget to Plug Me in Tonight!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

About the only issue that we have had with our Leaf is that after a hard day, my wife sometimes forgets to plug the car in the charger when she comes home.

In order to preserve domestic tranquility, but to insure that the car is plugged in, I made a little card that I placed on the garage door entry to the house. She was very appreciative of this, so I thought I would share it with you.

Here is what the card looks like. It is designed for printing on a 4x6 piece of photo paper, but will print on an 8x10 sheet as well.

leafchargereminder.jpg

Here is a link to download the PDF file.

It can be set to send the message at a given interval (I choose 10 minutes) after you are near your home charger but not plugged in...

OrientExpress said:
Stanton said:
...or you could setup CarWings to send email and/or SMS notices

That would go over great. A 1am text to go plug in the car.....

TomT said:
It can be set to send the message at a given interval (I choose 10 minutes) after you are near your home charger but not plugged in...
I still want more conditions than that, honestly. I want it to be something like, 'if it is after 9:30pm and I am under 80% charge and I am near my home charger but not plugged in, text me a reminder.'

From a third-party standpoint (since we can't get at the location data easily, but CAN write stuff to pull the data from the Carwings portal), even just 'if it is after 9:30 and I am under 80% charge and I am not plugged in, text me a reminder' would be sufficient.

Packet said:
TomT said:
I still want more conditions than that, honestly. I want it to be something like, 'if it is after 9:30pm and I am under 80% charge and I am near my home charger but not plugged in, text me a reminder.'

From a third-party standpoint (since we can't get at the location data easily, but CAN write stuff to pull the data from the Carwings portal), even just 'if it is after 9:30 and I am under 80% charge and I am not plugged in, text me a reminder' would be sufficient.

Or I could just stick a note on the door reminding me to plug the car in. :D

Packet said:
TomT said:

This is a good idea! I'm building a portal to let people use sms more freely with Carwings, and I'll try to add this as a use case. Hopefully I'll have something to show in another couple of weeks.

Stanton said:

I have not been able to get this feature to work. I have my charger in CarWings, but no messages if I forget to plug in. Not sure what I'm missing

OrientExpress said:
Doesn't work for my usage case, alas. Not leastwise because I don't go into the house near the EVSE. :)

dpodoll said:
Stanton said:
I have not been able to get this feature to work. I have my charger in CarWings, but no messages if I forget to plug in. Not sure what I'm missing
You have to configure CarWings in the car to send "unplugged" messages.

Packet said:
OrientExpress said:
Doesn't work for my usage case, alas. Not leastwise because I don't go into the house near the EVSE. :)

Then you could stick the note on your bathroom mirror or on your bed stand!

put the reminder on the wine opener or the bottle of bourbon.
if you need to be reminded as soon as you get home.

if you can plug in at bedtime, try the toothbrush or toothpaste.
also,
Light switch in the bedroom?
or
Toilet handle?
or your statin bottle!

davewill said:
dpodoll said:
Stanton said:
You have to configure CarWings in the car to send "unplugged" messages.
Configured, but still no messages...it works for other folks - right? Maybe I need the CW update

thankyouOB said:
put the reminder on the wine opener or the bottle of bourbon.
if you need to be reminded as soon as you get home.

if you can plug in at bedtime, try the toothbrush or toothpaste.
also,
Light switch in the bedroom?
or
Toilet handle?
or your statin bottle!

Cat food! :lol:

It's a great idea for those that need it and don't want to use text reminders, but I've had my LEAF since June, and have NEVER forgotten to plug it in (texts not enabled) nor will I unless I get Alzheimer's or something similar.

Honestly, the only reason I'd like it is because I don't plug in unless the LEAF is below a certain level of charge. If I plugged in every time I pulled in, I'd have no trouble remembering.

So a tool that would text me, 'hey, the LEAF is not plugged in and is below 80% charge' on a weeknight -- or 'hey, the LEAF is below 100% charge' on a Friday evening, since I do drive far enough to want the 100% on Saturdays -- would be useful. That way I'd know to plug in if I need the charge, or to manually charge to 100% instead of 80% on Fridays.

So far I haven't forgotten, but I'm sure some Friday I'll forget to charge in order to head to the stables on Saturday. Having that text reminder would, I think, be nice. :)

OrientExpress said:
Those guys need to come up with a captcha that humans can read. It took me 7 tries before I finally got one correct. All for less than 100K download.

If you don't mind, I can host this small file for you in my public_html area on one of my company's linux servers, where there's no captcha or waiting. Is that OK with you?

tps said:
OrientExpress said:
Those guys need to come up with a captcha that humans can read. It took me 7 tries before I finally got one correct. All for less than 100K download.

If you don't mind, I can host this small file for you in my public_html area on one of my company's linux servers, where there's no captcha or waiting. Is that OK with you?

Another solution is if this board would allow attachments to posts.

Back