How to repair the material on bottom of car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigc

I scraped the material on the bottom of the car on a parking bumper and tore it a little (about 2 inches). Any recommendation on tape and/or glue to repair it?

You tore it all the way through? Or just peeled back some? I was looking at that while I was under there and was thinking a nice coat of Rhino Lining might be a neat trick. But I figured it was probably unnecessary, really.

the scratch is about a foot from the front of the car in the middle. looks like a soft styrofoam but i don't know what the material is called...

I peeled the bottom layer, i may just cut it off but will probably ask the dealer if they have a solution first.

craigc said:
the scratch is about a foot from the front of the car in the middle. looks like a soft styrofoam but i don't know what the material is called...

I peeled the bottom layer, i may just cut it off but will probably ask the dealer if they have a solution first.

Oh, you really are talking about the belly pan? It's a thin ABS plastic.

mwalsh said:
craigc said:

Oh, you really are talking about the belly pan? It's a thin ABS plastic.

Yes, that's it.

I would investigate a polyethylene repair kit. The kind of thing you would use for repairing PVC kayaks:

http://www.plentypupule.com/weldkit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*gold/orange text in celebration of my 5,000th post.

Not all the material is ABS plastic. The rear "gas tank" panel and battery panels are ABS like. The front ones are some kind of fiber material, probably for sound suppression.

First, we need to know which one we are talking about.

IMG_0643.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
craigc said:
it's the fiber material very simular to the Polyethylene Tube Insulation you use on water pipes but just a little bit firmer.

So, the lower panel in the above pic?

Yes, like the lower panel. I took a photo but don't see an option to upload it.

Thanks

Is the big, white glob in the picture your photoshop work?

Honestly, at worst, there will be a teeny, tiny aerodynamic penalty with a hole, but that's it. You could drive around without ANY of this panels, and you likely would not know the difference.

If you want to patch a hole, I'd recommend a piece of plastic or aluminum, and a drill and pop rivet gun.

Back