New bars and miles - how does that work?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonewild said:
Did you just get the new update? OR is there a 3rd version

No, I'm asking for someone else - she's getting home with just 3 miles remaining in a new bars car and has range anxiety. I'm trying to figure out what that should mean in terms of the bars (visible or non) she should have left.

mwalsh said:
Gonewild said:
Did you just get the new update? OR is there a 3rd version

No, I'm asking for someone else - she's getting home with just 3 miles remaining in a new bars car and has range anxiety. I'm trying to figure out what that should mean in terms of the bars (visible or non) she should have left.
I drive as much as 7 miles after VLBW (---)

Not sure what you mean in new bars car?

Gonewild said:
I drive as much as 7 miles after VLBW (---)

Not sure what you mean in new bars car?

I probably should have said new firmware. Remember, I have an old firmware car, so my miles remaining differs from just about everyone else. So what does your GOM show when bar 12 goes away? Does it show 0 miles or a positive integer?

I was never clear on this which is why I have not upgraded my firmware. On the new firmware would the miles show the same from start to finish regardless of where the bars are. In other words the SOC bars may act differently but the miles remaining is the same on both firmware versions. What are the differences? I'm still hesitant to upgrade.

EVDRIVER said:
the SOC bars may act differently but the miles remaining is the same on both firmware versions.

Exactly. That's what I'm unsure of too. So in every car, when you have no fuel bars showing, do you have 0 miles? Or in the new firmware cars do you have some miles showing.

That's why I don't want to get mine done either - I'm so familiar and comfortable with what I have. Though I'm certain having the Garygid SOC meter would make the transition easier than without, when the inevitable time comes.

Check out my June 27 post in this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was the result with my testing:
Low Battery warning comes part way through the last bar and miles start flashing (probably 6 to 8 miles on the GOM).
Last bar may disappear while still showing a single digit flashing on the GOM
Very Low Battery warning coincides with flashing dashes at about 7% to 8% of charge remaining per the SOC-Gidometer.

Boomer23 said:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Low Battery warning comes part way through the last bar and miles start flashing (probably 6 to 8 miles on the GOM).
Very Low Battery warning coincides with flashing dashes at about 7% to 8% of charge remaining per the SOC-Gidometer.

Cool. So now I have to go and duplicate that in my car, to remind me how it differs.

mwalsh said:
Boomer23 said:

Cool. So now I have to go and duplicate that in my car, to remind me how it differs.

So let's see...: 7% of 281 equals about 20 Gids left at Very Low Battery. Driving carefully, there's about 3.5 Gids to a mile driven, so at Very Low Battery and flashing dashes, she has maybe 5 miles left to go, which coincides well with Tony's charts.
(91040 said that when he ran out of juice after the turtle appeared, he was down to the very low single digits in Gids.)

Mike I had the old software but did not want to have the AC shut down issue.

I now have the new software. OK the old software if you got to the (---) your battery was dead and soon you would be stopping.

With the new software the bars drop or go up slower which is easier to control usage.

Next improvment was they moved some of the miles below the VLBW or (---) I got 7 miles or so at 60 mph.

I hope that helps.

Despite all of our scoffing at the GuessOMeter, mine seems very consistent at the low end.
  • At GOM=8 I get the first low battery warning, and the GOM starts flashing. I still have one bar showing.
  • At GOM=5 or 6 the last bar disappears.
  • At GOM=3 I get the very low battery warning and the GOM changes to three bars.

However, those five miles as counted by the GOM usually take me 8 to 10 miles as measured by the odometer. I know I can go at least 5 miles further before the turtle comes on, however I try not to go much below the very low battery warning.

Ray

Ray, And you have the latest version of software per your VIN #.

How do you charge % and what is your RT to work etc?

I never had the old firmware (my car was built March 17, shipped April 17), but my understanding is that the Battery Warnings are at exactly the same Gid value, 49 and 25. Turtle at 4.

So, the range chart data should be the same for both new and old firmware from the warnings. Even with the new firmware, the fuel bars are variable; no matter what the Gid value at 100% charge, you'll get 12 fuel bars... even with the battery at half capacity.

I don't follow when the lowest, number 1 fuel bar disappears, because as soon as the first Battery Warning pops up (while the #1 bar is illuminated), that is the data I use to determine range remaining. Remember, this is the data that is fixed per the battery capacity; not the fuel bars.

I don't care or even look at what the GuessOmeter is doing. It's a waste of mental energy. I just want to be clear that only the Warnings are the only fixed battery capacity values.

Today, I drove 1.8 miles in turtle (my tenth event) !! New record for me.... lots of coasting. Made it to my garage without the car shutting down.

Gonewild said:
Tony have you gotten any range loss? Do you charge to 100% then drive to zero?

Today was 100%, and I really didn't plan on making records in turtle; it was just the cards handed me today.

I had also charged about one hour at Balboa Park.

Normally (maybe 80% of the time), I charge to 80% only. But, I've been getting tired of the limited range of the limited range car (with no charging infrastructure).

I don't have any measurable range loss, and I follow it quite closely, per my chart.

Take those flashing bars seriously. In my case, I got to turtle once when I didn't expect to. Made it home safely though. It seems the miles after flashing bars can vary. Maybe depending on how well the cells are balanced? Really you want to avoid getting to the flashing bars, but I would say to expect 5 miles should be safe. Of course, in an emergency she can plug in to any electrical outlet. Just don't let it get to turtle mode. The range chart by TonyWilliams is rather accurate IMO.

Gonewild said:
Ray, And you have the latest version of software per your VIN #.
How do you charge % and what is your RT to work etc?
Yes, I got the car in May with the April upgrade already done. Almost all of my charging is done at home using Phil's upgraded EVSE (12A version). I charge to 80% except for a couple of days per month.

Work? What's that? I'm retired, and have put just 4000 miles on the car in six months. I don't charge every night, and sometimes end up making a longer trip than expected when starting out with only 6 or 7 bars, which is why I am familiar with the low end of the range.

Ray

Warnings happen at the same "SOC" number between the two firmwares.

Bars are scaled differently. New firmware shows less bars for a given SOC value.

Miles are scaled differently. New firmware shows less miles for a given SOC value and a given "range estimation factor" (meaning how it's adjusting the range based on your driving). Meaning you can drive farther after "zero" miles on the new firmware, but only because it told you you couldn't drive as far in the first place (i.e. you got to zero faster).

You should not, however, see any change in how far you can drive from the warning points as they are still occur at the same SOC.

Note that range value is not directly tied to SOC number due to the range estimating factor so you cannot compare miles the way some of you are.

Back