Watch what you say on your phone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite the same, but I was taking some neighbors for a "show us the Leaf" ride. Got a call that went into hand-free mode and someone on the other side said something I would prefer the neighbors didn't hear. Having your calls always go to "speakerphone" with a possible audience does present some social challenges.

(And News corp. wasn't even involved.)

rawhog said:
Had something interesting happen yesterday. Had to stop by the supermarket on the way home from lunch. The little woman decided to wait in the car. So, I left the radio playing for her. As I walked into the store I got a call on my iPhone. I answered the call, chatted with a friend for a few minutes as I shopped. When I got back to the car, I told her so and so just called. She says I know. I listened to the first few minutes of the call through the stereo. Bluetooth range appears to be pretty darn good! Glad I didn't say anything I would regret later :eek:
Um, something's not quite right with that story. I can't speak for other phones, but on the iPhone the call goes EITHER to the bluetooth OR to the handset, but not both. Most likely she heard the OTHER person saying "hello" while you fumbled with switching it back to the handset. She should NOT have heard it after that, nor should she have heard your side of the conversation. Still, just be glad it wasn't your girlfriend! :twisted:

GeekEV said:
rawhog said:
Had something interesting happen yesterday. Had to stop by the supermarket on the way home from lunch. The little woman decided to wait in the car. So, I left the radio playing for her. As I walked into the store I got a call on my iPhone. I answered the call, chatted with a friend for a few minutes as I shopped. When I got back to the car, I told her so and so just called. She says I know. I listened to the first few minutes of the call through the stereo. Bluetooth range appears to be pretty darn good! Glad I didn't say anything I would regret later :eek:
Um, something's not quite right with that story. I can't speak for other phones, but on the iPhone the call goes EITHER to the bluetooth OR to the handset, but not both. Most likely she heard the OTHER person saying "hello" while you fumbled with switching it back to the handset. She should NOT have heard it after that, nor should she have heard your side of the conversation. Still, just be glad it wasn't your girlfriend! :twisted:
Same on my Android phone. It will go to the Bluetooth automatically, but if I press the button to talk locally into the phone it automatically disconnects the Bluetooth audio.

GeekEV said:
rawhog said:

+1
I've never seen a phone that you can "conference" the physical phone mic/speaker with the bluetooth.

One day my wife and I were driving while our daughter was driving behind us in our Prius. My boss called me on my cellphone, I answered but couldn't hear anything. I hung up and called back, still no sound. I checked the volume and audio settings and called again.

My daughter pulled up next us, honked the horn, and motioned for us to put the window down:

"Dad STOP IT! I don't need to talk to your boss!".

Sometimes Bluetooth is a funny thing....

TEG said:
Not quite the same, but I was taking some neighbors for a "show us the Leaf" ride. Got a call that went into hand-free mode and someone on the other side said something I would prefer the neighbors didn't hear.
I have been afraid of something like this happening so I always announce "You're on car speakerphone" when I make or receive a call.

This sounds like something out of a movie/comedy sketch, but I promise it really did happen to me about a month ago using my Leaf bluetooth. I accepted an incoming call, but instead of it being from my friend (as advertised on my phone display), I ended up in the midst of a stranger's phone conversation! Person X was speaking to Person Y. I could hear X perfectly, but not Y. When I spoke, X couldn't hear me (and apparently neither could Y), but my friend who originally called me could hear me (but I couldn't hear them). Talk about some weird one-way conversations!

I suspect this incident had nothing to do with the Leaf per se, and was more of a freak error on the part of the cellular network though. Anyone else ever have anything like this happen?

I was trying to meet a friend at an intersection.
I didn't see him, so I dialed his number on my phone, but just as I dialed the last digit, my phone started ringing.
I tried to answer, but it just kept ringing, then I noticed he was across the street staring at his phone.
I crossed over and both of our phones were ringing and neither could answer. We both had to power off our phones then back on because they were "stuck". We had called each other at the same exact time from the same place.
(This was years ago, hopefully newer phones are better at such things.)

I was talking on the cell phone and my son got in the LEAF and then rolled down the window to say he could hear both sides of my conversation in the car.

I don't have bluetooth but this problem isn't restricted just to cell phones. When I was a student at Berkeley in the 70s my roommate had a friend over who knew all the phone codes -- the hackers of the day. He picked up our phone, dialed some numbers and hung up; a minute or so later our phone rang. When we answered the phone was ringing on the other end. Someone picked up there and we both said "hello" at the same time. Each thought the other person initiated the call (except we knew better because of our prankster, who BTW did not warn us he was going to do this). This continued on randomly for a couple of hours with different numbers. My ex-brother-in-law was a phone installer who moved up into management at AT&T before imploding in an alcoholic haze. After the divorce he messed up my wife's sister's phone something awful (although he also took it off the billing grid which apparently he had done years earlier so he would get phone service without a bill or any record in the AT&T system). When she called in for service they had no record of her landline number.

rawhog said:
Sort of happened again yesterday. Sitting in the car with it powered on t use the a/c. When I made a phone call, the Navi automatically piped it through bluetooth.
That's to be expected. If the radio is on, so it bluetooth...

rawhog said:
Actually, it is not to be expected. If an there is an incoming call you must choose to answer it before the speakerphone kicks in. If I initiate a call from the button on the steering wheel or the touch screen, then I can see it opening the speakerphone right away. But, just because the bluetooth connection has been established between the phone and the car should not cause a phone call initiated from the handset to open the speakerphone automatically.
I think that it is. If I were using a bluetooth earpiece, I'd expect a call initiated from the phone go to the earpiece. Besides, I believe that this behavior is entirely up to the phone, not the car.

rawhog said:
Actually, it is not to be expected. If an there is an incoming call you must choose to answer it before the speakerphone kicks in. If I initiate a call from the button on the steering wheel or the touch screen, then I can see it opening the speakerphone right away. But, just because the bluetooth connection has been established between the phone and the car should not cause a phone call initiated from the handset to open the speakerphone automatically.
I have a 2007 Prius with Bluetooth and an Iphone 4. If I initiate a call on the phone with the car running, the call automatically comes up on the car speakers. In fact, if I'm on a call and turn on the car, the car speakers will automatically pick up the call in a few seconds and the handset audio drops out.

As davewill said, I believe that is a function of the phone, not the car.

Back