Hands-free phone connection doesn't work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2019 Nissan Leaf S. The car fails to pair with phone about half the time. This is before I try to make a phone call; the status icons on the dash do not appear at all. Re-starting the car will usually resolve the problem. My phone does pair successfully every time in my other car, so I do believe this is a problem with the Leaf, not with the phone.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And found a fix?

When this pairing problem happens, are you near other devices or cars that typically pair with your phone? If yes, then those peripheral connections may be interfering.

I have your issue happen on very rare occasions throughout the year. I've noticed this start to happen over the last 2 years. Restarting the car, restarting the phone, or waiting a several minutes typically fixed the problem. If I really got annoyed by the issue, then I would remove my phone from my car's Paired Device List and re-create a fresh pairing.

I expect that some app update at some point creates a glitch on my phone and corrupts the pairing connection.
Once I found that an update to my MediaMonkey app -- which I use to play music from my phone to the car via Bluetooth -- was a bad batch and screwed up my paired connection with my car. This app automatically opens, connects with the car, and starts playing music. The next app update fixed the issue.

That's an interesting idea. I do have a bluetooth OBDII dongle that is always plugged in and is paired to my phone. I will unplug it for a week and see if that helps. There are also some other "paired devices" that appear on my phone that I have no idea what they are. I may try "forgetting" them, if plan A does not help.

Thanks!!

One more thing to contribute. It will take a few days to find out if the above suggestion works, but while trying to remove and re-pair my phone from the Leaf's list of paired devices, I noticed something: when the problem is happening, I cannot enter the bluetooth settings menu on the car's display. It just says "Please Standby" indefinitely. Re-starting the car will fix this.

I've had over a week now to try out the above suggestions (removing other bluetooth devices, and re-pairing my phone), and I have enough data to say that the problem is definitely not resolved, but seems to occur a little less frequently.

Hi, do you have the setting for connecting two phones at same time on? There is a bug in the lates software that hangs the entirely bluetooth modul in car if i activate that function.

Last edited:
Back