New functions on screen with iOS 5 with bluetooth audio

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardw

This morning I was pleasantly surprised that I can now see the artist, length of song, and I can set shuffle mode and repeat from the LEAF screen when streaming audio from my iPhone 4 with the new iOS 5.

It also shows the song title when you are in other screens.

I'll send a picture if anyone wants to see.

Richard

iOS 5 also correctly supports the Bluetooth commands for 'next track' and 'previous track,' so the little switch on the steering wheel can be used to move through the playlist as well. :)

(Now, if only there was a way to kick the Voice Control or Siri mode on from the steering wheel, to use the iPhone's own voice control instead of the LEAF's voice dialing. That'd be awesome, since you could do 'Play songs by <artist>' instead of having to pick up the phone and press/hold the button to turn on voice control.)

Packet said:
iOS 5 also correctly supports the Bluetooth commands for 'next track' and 'previous track,' so the little switch on the steering wheel can be used to move through the playlist as well. :)

Not true, I've always been able to do this. However we really do need a Siri button :)

I found the default settings for shuffle and repeat had to be changed so I could listen to an audio book. The default was playing the chapters in some random order even though the on screen display shows shuffle and repeat were both off. I'll have to check the settings and write them down to enable the bluetooth to play in sequence. I'm hoping this will also fix the file order issues with default playing order when the first dozen characters of the file name are identical and the USB sorting seems to need the first 8 characters to sort properly and I won't have to rename all 700 tracks so I can listen to them in sequence.

I was just going to post this new info! Guess I'm not the only one that noticed. Just so you all know... I can verify that the new iOS 5 bluetooth functionality works with the iPhone 3GS as well.

z0ner said:
Packet said:

Not true, I've always been able to do this. However we really do need a Siri button :)
I should clarify: it didn't previously work (reliably) if the dock connection was also active. If you plugged the iPhone in to the dock connector for power but did playback via Bluetooth (to avoid using the horrible LEAF iPod interface that makes you page slowly through everything), the track selector didn't always work right.

Packet said:
(Now, if only there was a way to kick the Voice Control or Siri mode on from the steering wheel, to use the iPhone's own voice control instead of the LEAF's voice dialing.
z0ner said:
However we really do need a Siri button :)
+1,000

Nissan are you listening? Many phones have their own voice recognition which may be better than the built in system. Please allow a setting in the system to disable the built in voice recognition and make the voice button passthrough to the phone instead. Or, make is so that hitting the phone button functions the same as pressing the button on a bluetooth earpiece. Either way would work...

Really, for all its quirks, I would be perfectly happy if the nav/handsfree system just:

a) provided a way to long-press via Bluetooth as with most Bluetooth headsets, to trigger Voice Control/Siri.

b) did not lock the damn screen to touch input when pairing with a phone during power on.

and

c) had a way to tell it 'please stop asking me to accept CARWINGS every time I turn the damn car on.'

cardw said:
This morning I was pleasantly surprised that I can now see the artist, length of song, and I can set shuffle mode and repeat from the LEAF screen when streaming audio from my iPhone 4 with the new iOS 5.

It also shows the song title when you are in other screens.

I'll send a picture if anyone wants to see.

Richard

Thanks for posting this! After reading this, I went to iTunes and downloaded iOS 5 (it was projecting to take an hour, just to download the update, so I started it and went to bed). This morning, voila, I have new track info on my LEAF screen!

Back