padamson1
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9240

Re: Climate Control Solution - Gain Control of your Heater!

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:05 pm

lukati wrote:Nice work! I will be getting a MY2012 with winter package. Any chance these issues are resolved now? How is the additional steering wheel/seat heating integrated into the overall car heating system? My hunch is, not at all, and it's just an additional system with its independent on/off switch.
I have the CWP in my LEAF. The seat(SH) & steering wheel (SWH) heaters are completely independent of the Climate Control with individual switches for each unit. You can barely see any power level change when Driver SH & SWH are active, which makes sense given most seat heaters draw <40W. There is only a noticeable load when all 4 SH's are on.

I have to admit that I thought the SWH was a waste of time before I tried it. Turns out its really nice to have warm hands and it inductively makes you feel warmer, although it gets too hot and I have to turn it off pretty quickly.

Electric4Me
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:27 pm

padamson1 wrote: I have the CWP in my LEAF. The seat(SH) & steering wheel (SWH) heaters are completely independent of the Climate Control with individual switches for each unit. You can barely see any power level change when Driver SH & SWH are active, which makes sense given most seat heaters draw <40W. There is only a noticeable load when all 4 SH's are on.

I have to admit that I thought the SWH was a waste of time before I tried it. Turns out its really nice to have warm hands and it inductively makes you feel warmer, although it gets too hot and I have to turn it off pretty quickly.
Where are the switches for the 4 seats?
Last edited by Electric4Me on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

padamson1

Cold Weather Package Features

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Electric4Me wrote:
padamson1 wrote: I have the CWP in my LEAF. The seat(SH) & steering wheel (SWH) heaters are completely independent of the Climate Control with individual switches for each unit. You can barely see any power level change when Driver SH & SWH are active, which makes sense given most seat heaters draw <40W. There is only a noticeable load when all 4 SH's are on.

Where are the switches for the 4 seats?
Two front SH controls are in the typical location: on the center floor console (behind the cup holders directly under the 12v cigarette plug outlet). The two rear SH controls are in a location I've never seen used before: on the center side of the front seat backs, convenient enough that either front passenger can turn off the rear heaters after a rear passenger leaves which I definitely like. Each control has a high/low setting, low was so toasty I haven't even tried High yet.

Yanquetino

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:07 pm

padamson1 wrote:Two front SH controls are in the typical location: on the center floor console (behind the cup holders directly under the 12v cigarette plug outlet). The two rear SH controls are in a location I've never seen used before: on the center side of the front seat backs, convenient enough that either front passenger can turn off the rear heaters after a rear passenger leaves which I definitely like. Each control has a high/low setting, low was so toasty I haven't even tried High yet.
Cool...! (Er... I guess that's a lame adjective in this case. Sorry. :roll: ) If you can ever post some photos of those controls, AND what the heated steering wheel looks like, I'm sure there are many here curious to see them.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Yanquetino wrote:
padamson1 wrote:Two front SH controls are in the typical location: on the center floor console (behind the cup holders directly under the 12v cigarette plug outlet). The two rear SH controls are in a location I've never seen used before: on the center side of the front seat backs, convenient enough that either front passenger can turn off the rear heaters after a rear passenger leaves which I definitely like. Each control has a high/low setting, low was so toasty I haven't even tried High yet.
Cool...! (Er... I guess that's a lame adjective in this case. Sorry. :roll: ) If you can ever post some photos of those controls, AND what the heated steering wheel looks like, I'm sure there are many here curious to see them.
Here is the location of the rear seat switch...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

TonyWilliams

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Yanquetino wrote: If you can ever post some photos of those controls, AND what the heated steering wheel looks like, I'm sure there are many here curious to see them.

Here ya go:

The heated steering wheel:

The switch for the heated steering wheel is all the way to the upper right. Note: a 2012 will not have the lower row, center switch for turning the VSP on and off.

The driver's seat heater switch in the center console. There's a matching switch adjacent to it for the right front seat. The entire rear seat is switched from a switch on the side of the right front seat (not pictured):

padamson1

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:12 pm

In regards to TonyWilliams nice pictures. When activated the Hi & Lo text is backlit, which is convenient.

Also the the switches for the rear seat are backlit even when they're off, so you can see them easily.

TonyWilliams

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:23 pm

padamson1 wrote:In regards to TonyWilliams nice pictures.
Genuine iPhone 4 photos :o

LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

Re: Cold Weather Package Features

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 pm

It's too bad the SWH and SH'ers can't have at least some minimal type of thermostat on them. Sounds like they are either on full blast or off. This is how all of the SH'er I've sat on work. They heat up too quickly and supply so much heat, that you quickly turn them off as soon as your buns stop shivering. Otherwise you have barbeque marks on your butt.

padamson1

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:51 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
padamson1 wrote:In regards to TonyWilliams nice pictures.
Genuine iPhone 4 photos :o
You're not making fun of my 3GS are you? :cry: :(
LakeLeaf wrote:It's too bad the SWH and SH'ers can't have at least some minimal type of thermostat on them...
My wife's Audi A4 has SH's with 6 setting levels, that is nicer. The problem is that she often leaves it on the lowest level, forgets to turn it off, they stay on until she notices because she's in the car for a while or is wearing thin clothes, which has dried out (aged) the leather seats. In the case of the LEAF you'd reduce your efficiency unless the heaters reset every time you powered down (which I haven't checked yet).

Return to “Accessories / Mods”